Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - UTVLifer - 21-04-2024

Channel 4 really are going for a Kelloggs variety pack approach to election line-up by the sounds of it, and are taking their coverage a little seriously. And looking at all the names, it would appear they've had some cash stuffed down the back of the sofa waiting for this election

That article alone says they've got Emily and the News Agents team, Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Cathy Newman live from the campaign HQs of the Conservatives and Labour, and Clare Balding on data duties PLUS The Rest is Politics hosts Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart to bring their own analysis, while familiar faces from Gogglebox will "lighten the mood".

I wonder if ITV News will have Osborne and Balls on the night again like in 2017 and 2019 as commentators given C4 have already snagged two sets of political podcast hosts

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - TMD_24 - 21-04-2024

Given Ed Balls is a regular on GMB, I wouldn't be surprised if they use him for ITV News with Osborne and probably have Richard Madeley and Susanna Reid present Good Morning Britain the following morning and have further ITV News coverage afterwards given the possible results.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - XIII - 21-04-2024

The 2019 Alternative Election Night was a disaster for Channel 4. Maitlis is a good coup for them for a more serious show.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 21-04-2024

That's a very strong line up for C4 though a shame to lose a non-news based approach to the night.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - XIII - 21-04-2024

(21-04-2024, 08:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That's a very strong line up for C4 though a shame to lose a non-news based approach to the night.

TBH it didn't work last time especially because the election result meant it became a rolling funeral coverage similar how badly a lot of late night hosts took Trump winning in 2016.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - JMT1985 - 21-04-2024

(21-04-2024, 08:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That's a very strong line up for C4 though a shame to lose a non-news based approach to the night.

Considering people will have BBC News, ITV News, Sky News and even heaven forbid watching GB News for their election night, Channel 4 is right to go down a different path. This is what public service broadcasting is for, doing something different.

I remember BBC Two, when they had balls, in 1997 election night having the Election Night Armistice, with Armando Iannucci at the helm for three hours live, great alternative that election night.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Newshound47 - 21-04-2024

I wonder who has priority over Clare Balding were the election night to clash with Wimbledon/Olympics/Paralympics.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - TMD_24 - 21-04-2024

Channel 4 have confirmed this lineup now, Emily is listed as co-presenter but it looks like Jon and Lewis aren't mentioned.

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/1782126672524816562 

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Spencer - 21-04-2024

Is there really an audience for a non-news approach to a news event though? I’ve never really seen the point.

If you’re interested in the election, you probably want all the latest updates, analysis and up to the minute developments. If you’re not interested in it, you probably don’t want to watch an entertainment programme based around it.

As someone who’s interested in the election, the C4 plans for this year sound quite appealing to me, especially as the BBC will have a new and untested line-up.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - msim - 21-04-2024

Typically the BBC wins these events what with being essentially the broadcaster of record and the previous assumptions of superior resources and on-air team and I've always stuck with them overnight.

The BBC overnight coverage in 2019 though was utterly woeful. It stopped being a results and analysis programme pretty quickly and instead just became a talking shop of the usual rentagobs, interspersed with far too many news summary breaks. I can't remember if they still persisted with the god awful Jeremy Vine stuff but I'm fairly sure they still had Rayworth outside NBH in the cold rain putting wooden hexagons on the ground...

If it's Kuenssberg presenting this time I doubt I'll stick around long with them. I'm not up for a discussion on whether she's biased or not, I just cannot stand her presentation skills. Does ITV still 'jump the gun' and announce results based on predictions? Might have to switch to Sky but that C4 lineup is mighty strong but I doubt they'll be doing much in terms of live results, more the discussion and opinion side of things.