Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 21-04-2024

I think alot of people want something in the middle - the key information but not 8 hours of solid politics. Agree the 2019 programme was awful but the previous ones were better. Worth sacrificing a potential Election Night Lycett though to get Maitliss on board.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 21-04-2024

The best ITV result show was 1987, There did exit pol at 10am then 10.05 Spitting image, with the greatest song there ever did. then back to the real puppets at 10.45.

Odd its being announced now, the way things are going we still 5-7 months away.
(21-04-2024, 08:38 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Channel 4 have confirmed this lineup now, Emily is listed as co-presenter but it looks like Jon and Lewis aren't mentioned.

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/1782126672524816562 

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Spencer - 21-04-2024

(21-04-2024, 09:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think alot of people want something in the middle - the key information but not 8 hours of solid politics. Agree the 2019 programme was awful but the previous ones were better. Worth sacrificing a potential Election Night Lycett though to get Maitliss on board.

I’ve genuinely no knowledge of the viewing figures for election night. I suspect they probably don’t back this up though.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Andrew - 21-04-2024

(21-04-2024, 09:18 PM)msim Wrote:  The BBC overnight coverage in 2019 though was utterly woeful. It stopped being a results and analysis programme pretty quickly and instead just became a talking shop of the usual rentagobs, interspersed with far too many news summary breaks. I can't remember if they still persisted with the god awful Jeremy Vine stuff but I'm fairly sure they still had Rayworth outside NBH in the cold rain putting wooden hexagons on the ground...

Considering political programming has moved further down this road in the intervening five years, I expect it’ll be even worse. Probably very heavilly weighted towards gotcha interviews in the desperate attempt to get a sound bite.

My fear is that it will be like an 8 hour long version of Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg with an occasional throw to Reeta at the touch screen

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 21-04-2024

How is it any different to Peter snow looking at his Swing thing every 10mins?

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 22-04-2024

(21-04-2024, 10:32 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  How is it any different to Peter snow looking at his Swing thing every 10mins?

Or Paxman's shouty Gotcha interviews after he became parody of himself. I think people are remembering Election night with rose tinted glasses like they do with Christmas TV and Comic Relief.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - freeview87 - 22-04-2024

All the election nights of old are on YouTube. 2019 is no big difference to what we've had for many decades.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - DTV - 22-04-2024

(22-04-2024, 01:09 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  I think people are remembering Election night with rose tinted glasses like they do with Christmas TV and Comic Relief.
I feel the truth is somewhere in the middle - BBC election coverage, and politics output more widely, has always had issues and left a lot to be desired, including long being disucssion-heavy over actual analysis, but it has noticeably reached new levels of shallowness in the last few years.

Peter Snow's swingometer might have been a bit unnecessary at times, but it was only part of what he did - go and watch old coverage and he is for a large part presenting actual data from often specially commissioned opinion polls, adding vital context to discussions. That all went with Jeremy Vine, whose graphics - at best - are mere results summaries (presented in the most patronising way possible).

Similarly, the lead psephologist - then Anthony King - was also present at the main studio desk, able to correct politicians when they made blatantly motivated analyses. Now John Curtice is squirrelled away in some barely visited 'results centre', allowing his analysis to be contradicted unchallenged by politicians and talking heads for most of the programme. There are also smaller things, such as visits to regional editors being less frequent than they were on local election programmes. It's not that old election nights were great, it's just more recent ones are worse.

What amazes me, though, is they persist with such a derided format. Pretty much everybody I've ever heard discuss BBC election night programmes thinks it should be heavier on analysis and results, lighter on the 'discussion'. Yet this persists - is there some secret group of viewers who love hearing the same party HQ-approved talking points on a loop for hours? It wouldn't even be difficult - they've got cameras at the counts, they've got the graphics templates pre-made for the touchscreen, they've got pretty much every election expert in NBH as part of the exit poll team - why not try and be better, produce something worth watching.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - mark - 22-04-2024

Channel 4's approach sounds good on paper and I'll definitely be taking a look.

I think a lot will depend on the overall production - how good it all looks, how fast they are with results etc. The issue I've had with their alternative election night in the past is that they've felt quite 1990s and basic in presentation terms.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - WillPS - 22-04-2024

Channel 4's offer always looks interesting beforehand but when it comes to it tends to feel like a car crash. I generally flick past but don't stay because I feel as though I'm possibly missing out on important things happening.