Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 25-04-2024

I did try to start a thread but im unclear the remite, It will be BIG news if he losses and earlier early elections are called.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - RhysJR - 25-04-2024

(25-04-2024, 06:06 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  Well, well, well! I think the way things are going, we might be adding the Scottish Parliament to this election year if this story is anything to go by.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/scottish-national-party-ends-3-112051013.html 

Have the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments' elections have always been on the same day as votes in England up until today? So, BBC/ITV have never had to do bespoke coverage for those elections yet?

Will be interesting to see if the networks just simulcast the BBC Scotland/STV coverage if the day arrives, or will they do something more.

(These questions likely purely academic as a 2/3 must vote for an election, or no-one can be elected First Minister inside 28 days to trigger an early election.)

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Milkshake - 25-04-2024

(25-04-2024, 06:45 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Have the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments' elections have always been on the same day as votes in England up until today? So, BBC/ITV have never had to do bespoke coverage for those elections yet?

Will be interesting to see if the networks just simulcast the BBC Scotland/STV coverage if the day arrives, or will they do something more.

(These questions likely purely academic as a 2/3 must vote for an election, or no-one can be elected First Minister inside 28 days to trigger an early election.)

Yes Scottish and Welsh parliament elections happen on the same day in 1st Thursday May when English council elections are taking place. I think this is where the 1st Thursday in May being election day has come from.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 25-04-2024

(25-04-2024, 06:45 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Have the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments' elections have always been on the same day as votes in England up until today? So, BBC/ITV have never had to do bespoke coverage for those elections yet?

Well they do do bespoke coverage in the nations concerned and if a Scottish Election happened on a date of it's own there would be no reason not to take the Scotland produced coverage.

Interestingly unlike for Westminster if an election does happen the 2026 election would still happen - it's only if an unplanned election happens six months befoe the due date that the expected election would be cancelled.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - RhysJR - 25-04-2024

Did BBC Scotland do their own overnight coverage for the 2014 Independence Referendum, or did they air the Huw Edwards fronted coverage?

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Brekkie - 25-04-2024

If I remember rightly weren't they one floor apart on the balconies. I think a decade on I'd be surprised if the BBC produced two programmes, especially this year given there is no expectation on the BBC's main news presenter to host such events and they are having to resource a general election programme too. Given the timeframe and latest expectations there is a possibility any sudden Scottish election could fall on the general election date anyway - but let's see what happens. How the opposition votes might depend on how able they are to fight an election on two fronts anyway.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - UTVLifer - 25-04-2024

There is only a slim prospect of an extraordinary Holyrood election being called (and there would still be another one in 2026) as what's been tabled by the Scottish Tories is only a VONC in the First Minister NOT in the Scottish Government itself.

That said, it's likely that Yousaf will go next week and they'll be another SNP leadership election if he can't get the Alba MSP onside to vote for him.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - lookoutwales - 25-04-2024

(25-04-2024, 07:33 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Did BBC Scotland do their own overnight coverage for the 2014 Independence Referendum, or did they air the Huw Edwards fronted coverage?

Yes, Scotland had their own coverage.

And ITV simulcast STV’s effort until 6am.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - XIII - 25-04-2024

I'm watching A Mayor for London and it's interesting it was prerecorded yesterday and not live.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Mike - 25-04-2024

(25-04-2024, 08:27 PM)XIII Wrote:  I'm watching A Mayor for London and it's interesting it was prerecorded yesterday and not live.

The West Mids equivalent also was, as it appeared on the local news page earlier.

I recorded the opt outs across the NW, WM and London just to see if there was anything different - I think the only difference I saw was the North West using the 'BBC One North' separate feed, or they chose to pick two BBC Two trails when Network South appeared to be using normal trails.