Pres Café
BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - Andrew - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 12:02 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  I too would be very surprised if it was anyone other than Laura as the BBC’s chief politics presenter, although it’s interesting to see The Times suggest more of a ‘team’ approach is being considered. Has the BBC’s election coverage ever been double headed?

Although neither Andrew Marr nor David Frost hosted Election night.

I’m not sure Laura is the right person for election night, it needs to be warmer, and more accessible to a wider audience not just your politics nerds.

Rather than the presenter, I’m wondering more about the content. With the obsession with talking heads these days I fear they will downgrade the results and graphics parts and focus too much on interviews, in the desperation that they get a soundbite that will go viral.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - Humphrey Hacker - 21-01-2024

I'm hopeful that GBN brings Alastair Stewart back for the election. Obviously his health issues preclude from a full role but I'd like to see him on election night. I feel Anne Diamond will helm the coverage.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - steve - 21-01-2024

I wouldn’t discount Sophie Raworth - she was widely praised for her long stint after Marr left before the new show started. She’s also clearly the main presenter of the most-watched Six now, and she’s done plenty of big occasion broadcasts. If they did name her and Clive (for instance) as lead presenters at Six and Ten, I could imagine a double headed approach with LK on interviews, Reeta at touchscreen, etc.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - UTVLifer - 21-01-2024

I would imagine Sophy Ridge will helm Sky's coverage, with Mark Austin perhaps leading for the US election coverage now Dermot has left, particularly if it's held close to the UK GE (as I can't really imagine Yalda doing the overnight US election coverage)

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - DTV - 22-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 09:00 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Rather than the presenter, I’m wondering more about the content. With the obsession with talking heads these days I fear they will downgrade the results and graphics parts and focus too much on interviews, in the desperation that they get a soundbite that will go viral.
This is my issue. What people actually want from election night is results and analysis, but there is an ever-increasing focus on these panels with politicians regurgiating the same three pre-rehearsed soundbites throughout the programme - last year's afternoon coverage of the local elections was almost entirely this for about four hours (granted it was branded as a Politics Live special, so should have expected it). The less said about the side gimmicks, the better.

I hope for, but do not expect, a more streamlined programme. Granted you can't have John Curtice on all night and the touchscreen does have limitations, but the BBC have half the country's top political science professors in NBH for the Exit Poll, why not use them a bit more? Why not commission (alongside ITV and Sky) a broader opinion poll that asks questions about key issues, leaders, etc.? This would actually help add context to the analysis, rather than letting politicians imbue the results with the meaning they want them to have.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - WillPS - 22-01-2024

(22-01-2024, 10:41 AM)DTV Wrote:  Why not commission (alongside ITV and Sky) a broader opinion poll that asks questions about key issues, leaders, etc.? This would actually help add context to the analysis, rather than letting politicians imbue the results with the meaning they want them to have.

I like the idea but this might be tricky on election day itself. The reason the exit poll matters is that the sample is so much wider than any normal poll - and that's only possible because it's based on a single question. Is there sufficient resource inside polling in general to do both that and a normal 'smaller sample wider reaching' study?

There's also a risk that the data is misinterpreted as being from the same sample as the exit poll itself, although this could be managed by the kind of disclaimers which the broadcasters are good about adding to their polls and projections anyway.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - DTV - 22-01-2024

(22-01-2024, 11:43 AM)WillPS Wrote:  I like the idea but this might be tricky on election day itself. The reason the exit poll matters is that the sample is so much wider than any normal poll - and that's only possible because it's based on a single question. Is there sufficient resource inside polling in general to do both that and a normal 'smaller sample wider reaching' study?
These days, with online panels it's possible to get huge numbers of people answering a poll within a matter of hours. Exit poll has to be done differently, because the methodology is dependent on using the same polling stations at each election, but there's no reason that you couldn't commission a separate on-the-day online poll from another pollster that is then reweighted to account for the projected shares for the exit poll (which they do produce, but don't publish).

It just seems a bit of an oversight for me, particularly considering the BBC used to do something similar and it is typical with exit polls in other countries to include extra info/questions. To be honest, it doesn't really even need to be a bespoke poll - there's so much polling data produced in that final week of the campaign, that it could easily be reanalysed for use on election night programmes.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - Dougal - 22-01-2024

I've thought about this overnight and it strikes me that there are pitfalls potentially with most of the contenders to replace Huw Edwards for the General Election.

Clive Myrie: Unquestionably a strong candidate but has relatively little domestic and political experience. Do you want somebody anchoring an 8 hour broadcast whose strength lies in overseas reporting? I also have an issue with serious (news) broadcasters who 'diversify' into other forms of broadcasting (for example a quiz show or an antiques show).

Laura Kuenssberg: A sensible choice, but... traditionally the Political Editor sits alongside the anchor on election night. I can't help but think that an individual so associated with the BBC's political coverage would insert themselves into analysis that should in theory be left to the Political Editor (in this case Chris Mason).

Reeta Chakrabarti: A stronger choice, with a good grounding in political reporting from earlier in her career. Very good at using the touchscreen and her delivery is flawless. Election night can be pretty dynamic (especially when the results start flooding in) and I'm not sure she can ad-lib or pivot brilliantly.

Jeremy Vine: No.

Sophie Raworth: The strongest contender of all of those named. An old hand at anchoring, a recognised face to the public, can keep a live broadcast going (she did Breakfast for long enough in the 90s and 00s) and has the political experience from filling in frequently for Andrew Marr.

Who wasn't on the list in The Sunday Times? I'm not convinced that Fiona Bruce is a runner. Rightly or wrongly, the public perceive as biassed and as more of an entertainment presenter these days. Mishal Hussain would be a wise choice: her political experience on the Today programme is exceptional and there is no perception of bias.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - Stooky Bill - 22-01-2024

The thing is that at 10pm on election night the only thing that matters is who's won the election. Opinions are for the previous four weeks, they aren't relevant once voting stops.

RE: BBC/ITV/Sky Election rehearsals - arbrax - 22-01-2024

(22-01-2024, 03:03 PM)Dougal Wrote:  Jeremy Vine: No.

You don't want to see him do his cowboy act again, but this time with Ed Davey? Shame