Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 01:54 AM)Richard H Wrote:  Id say it was a spoiler as that game mechanic can only be played out if there is a certain ending to the game but I'm happy to agree to disagree and I'm sure I will still enjoy stripping the show over the next 9 nights

But a situation that it's pretty much nailed on that the production team would engineer. An all Faithful end game, whatever form it takes, would be a huge anticlimax.

They will use "recruit or be murdered" scenarios to make sure there is at least one Traitor in the end game.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 10:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it depends on the show and the stakes. I’m sure people who go on something like Eggheads or even the Chase it probably that bothered about winning prize money. Someone who gets to FFF on Millionaire is probably very keen to win big money, particularly in the original era when people had to pay to get on and it became a bit of an industry getting on. I think someone who gets on Deal or No Deal would probably be set on having a cash injection of at least a few grand too.

My issue with the article is that it comes across as a bit snobby towards those using the money for normal things.

I think people today are a bit more financially savvy and not splashing your winnings is seen as a good thing.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 01-02-2024

Many years ago it was considered obscene and taboo to win a fortune on the new fangled telly box.
So the regulator put paid to that. And that's how it stayed for best part of 30 odd years, until the regulator said yeah enough of that, knock yourself out.

Back in the day you were doing well to win a four figure sum as all that was capped, though I'd like to think you went on gameshows for the experience, a nice day out and you get to meet Michael, Jim, Brucie or Bob - unless it was something like Opportunity Knocks or New Faces or something similar, it was never going to change your life...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 02-02-2024

There isn't anything wrong with someone going on a gameshow just to win money. They may not win but they'll know that before applying. I also don't blame them seeing gameshows as a way out of debt or an alternative to a proper job because the current financial and jobs situation in this country is diabolical.

Maybe there are people who enjoy quizzes and playing games but if they're not bothered about the money, don't let them on shows with big money prizes. That may seem harsh but people getting rejected and being judged on what they will bring to a show is something casting departments deal with all the time. Someone winning and then saying it was all about winning doesn't make good telly. Saying that, neither is somebody in tears because they can't buy a car or whatever.

I think some shows give away too much money in that it's not relative to the amount of effort involved. It's sometimes a format issue in Q+A shows where they don't want to start with piddly sums but end up giving away large sums because they started too high.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

I thought that article was very poor. Yes, perhaps there has been a slight reduction in prize money on offer in recent years and the economic situation certainly does mean a smaller win might be valued more than it was, in theory, a few years ago.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 12:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I thought that article was very poor. Yes, perhaps there has been a slight reduction in prize money on offer in recent years and the economic situation certainly does mean a smaller win might be valued more than it was, in theory, a few years ago.

Comparing going on TV to The Hunger Games was a big hot take. They do realise people aren't forced to go on TV.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Gary Baldy - 02-02-2024

Just seen that RDF Television which produces Tipping Point and Only Connect is closing down. Only Connect is probably safe, another company will swoop in, Tipping Point I’m not so sure on. I’m guessing that may be why ITV experimented more with that 4pm hour over the last few months.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 03:32 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Just seen that RDF Television which produces Tipping Point and Only Connect is closing down. Only Connect is probably safe, another company will swoop in, Tipping Point I’m not so sure on. I’m guessing that may be why ITV experimented more with that 4pm hour over the last few months.

Only Connect will probably end up being produced by Fizz or Remarkable, both Banijay companies.

It's only RDF Television closing, the sub brands are not affected.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - what - 02-02-2024

Tipping Point's been credited to Fizz for a while now anyway.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 02-02-2024

Post production house Arteus in Glasgow went into administration yesterday. Way to go, broadcasters.