Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 02:04 PM)XIII Wrote:  Comparing going on TV to The Hunger Games was a big hot take. They do realise people aren't forced to go on TV.

And they're taking Jordan's quip far too seriously. They also picture Anthony Hutton who only got £50k for winning BB6, half of what Jordan won - although probably on a par when inflation is factored in.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - gottago - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 03:34 PM)XIII Wrote:  Only Connect will probably end up being produced by Fizz or Remarkable, both Banijay companies.

It's only RDF Television closing, the sub brands are not affected.

Fizz has been closed for some time now and technically was a sub brand of RDF, despite Banijay being the ultimate owner of all labels. It was all down to complicated pre-Endemol internal politics. So Tipping Point and Only Connect (and Real Deal if they're still making that) will have to move to Remarkable, Initial or possibly another one though they're the most suitable.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 05:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And they're taking Jordan's quip far too seriously. They also picture Anthony Hutton who only got £50k for winning BB6, half of what Jordan won - although probably on a par when inflation is factored in.

I don't think the article intends to or even needs to compare like for like amounts and what various people do with their money, which would be a bit pointless anyway as everyone has different circumstances. It's more about what money gets you nowadays and gameshows not considering that. Not that they have to though - in some cases, what they were giving away originally was too much, £1m for Survivor being the prime example. Also, I think if shows were to properly account for inflation, they'd have to round off figures which would lead to them giving away more than they wanted, but only because viewers would accuse them of being stingy for offering weird amounts.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 02-02-2024

In all honesty it probably barely means anything when it just means shows being shifted around brands from the same company.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

One thing noteable now is how it's almost always cash prizes. Wheel of Fortune, Family Fortunes and Tipping Point still have spot prizes but that's about it. You'd think there would be opportunities to rely more on sponsor prizes rather than just paying out cash as the daytime phone comps tend to do.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - GraemeT88 - 02-02-2024

Let me be honest

I’d be just as happy winning £1m today as I would have been in 1998 when WWTBAM started. Sure it might not get me quite as much, but I ain’t scoffing at that!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 10:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  One thing noteable now is how it's almost always cash prizes. Wheel of Fortune, Family Fortunes and Tipping Point still have spot prizes but that's about it. You'd think there would be opportunities to rely more on sponsor prizes rather than just paying out cash as the daytime phone comps tend to do.

It's ironic really because back in the day when you won prizes like a toaster or a video recorder it was pretty much brandless in the description, though they were never mentioned when they were blatantly on screen. These days that sort of thing is ripe for the likes of "a Beko washing machine and dryer courtesy of ao.com" or similar. But of course back then you couldn't do that.

Cash prizes on Wheel of Fortune came later in the original run. Originally it was just a car on offer, as there was naff all else, as whatever you racked up on the wheel just decided to went to play for the car - you might have racked up 20k points but you weren't going to get £20k like you did in the original format and the later reboot...

Bullseye made a big deal from 1993 when they were able to start giving away what they called Bully's Treasure Chest, which was £5k in cash. Previously it was usually a speedboat or a car or a holiday or occasionally some furniture (and that one time two macho men won a fashion spree for some reason) - all to the rough same value of £5k or so so ultimately it didn't make any difference (topped up of course with what you won first time round).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 10:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  It's ironic really because back in the day when you won prizes like a toaster or a video recorder it was pretty much brandless in the description, though they were never mentioned when they were blatantly on screen. These days that sort of thing is ripe for the likes of "a Beko washing machine and dryer courtesy of ao.com" or similar. But of course back then you couldn't do that.
Yeah, there's Bullseye repeats I've seen recently where they give away a home computer - actually a Commodore 64 or a ZX Spectrum - or a games system - I've seen both Sega Game Gear and Super Nintendo. Jim Bowen actually messed up on the latter - when they announced the prizes they just said games console, but when the contestant hit that red segment on the dartboard, he named it.

(02-02-2024, 03:47 PM)what Wrote:  Tipping Point's been credited to Fizz for a while now anyway.
Since 2015 according to UK Gameshows.
http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Tipping_Point 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 02-02-2024

Of course you still win a range of goods with nice product placement mentions on Saturday Night Takeaway

The Guardian story is just a typical article you get, always some strange aloof take, particularly when dealing with a perceived down market genre of broadcasting

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 03-02-2024

And another thing, why did they use the example of The Million Pound Drop changing to The £100,000 Drop when neither of those example is from the present day and one was daytime and was primetime.

Surely Deal or no Deal would have been the go to example of a jackpot decreasing in value. Both versions were daytime and the new version is still currently in production. The better example all round.