Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 03-02-2024

Possibly why there's not many spot prizes on shows nowadays is that there is a feeling they cheapen a show and enough prizes are being given away in cash already. It's also more the case with older formats that there was some luck and/or skill involved in landing on a spot prize because it was one screen or one part of the board out of many that anyone playing could get whereas modern shows aren't set up that way, tend to focus on the lone journey and the gameplay is more defined, almost scripted so that it will play out a certain way.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 03-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 10:26 PM)GraemeT88 Wrote:  Let me be honest

I’d be just as happy winning £1m today as I would have been in 1998 when WWTBAM started. Sure it might not get me quite as much, but I ain’t scoffing at that!

I agree, a million quid is still a great amount of money to win. Hell, I'd be happy with 10 grand.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 01:35 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Possibly why there's not many spot prizes on shows nowadays is that there is a feeling they cheapen a show and enough prizes are being given away in cash already. It's also more the case with older formats that there was some luck and/or skill involved in landing on a spot prize because it was one screen or one part of the board out of many that anyone playing could get whereas modern shows aren't set up that way, tend to focus on the lone journey and the gameplay is more defined, almost scripted so that it will play out a certain way.

maybe that's the thing. These days you just stand in front of a podium, answer a few questions and if you play your cards right you come away with the dosh. There is no other outcome - either you win everything or you lose everything.

To come back to Bullseye again you pretty much made your own destiny with that, and that's probably what made it more appealing in terms of the prize board and the 101 in 6. You could always make a total hash of the prize board with one prize, yet score 101+ in two darts (or vice versa).

In other words - the linear gameplay was unpredictable. More modern shows as you say feel more contained and trapped in the format, and then you had the likes of Strike It Lucky/Rich where the game was effectively an afterthought, especailly once it had got going after two or three series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 01:35 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Possibly why there's not many spot prizes on shows nowadays is that there is a feeling they cheapen a show and enough prizes are being given away in cash already. It's also more the case with older formats that there was some luck and/or skill involved in landing on a spot prize because it was one screen or one part of the board out of many that anyone playing could get whereas modern shows aren't set up that way, tend to focus on the lone journey and the gameplay is more defined, almost scripted so that it will play out a certain way.

Funnily enough Michael McIntyre perhaps offered a reason why spot prizes aren't as attractive these days in his Big Show last week when he took the Wheel...on wheels!

"You're playing for a 50 inch television!"

...Family watching The Wheel on their 70 inch television Big Grin

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 09:53 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  maybe that's the thing. These days you just stand in front of a podium, answer a few questions and if you play your cards right you come away with the dosh. There is no other outcome - either you win everything or you lose everything.

To come back to Bullseye again you pretty much made your own destiny with that, and that's probably what made it more appealing in terms of the prize board and the 101 in 6. You could always make a total hash of the prize board with one prize, yet score 101+ in two darts (or vice versa).

In other words - the linear gameplay was unpredictable. More modern shows as you say feel more contained and trapped in the format, and then you had the likes of Strike It Lucky/Rich where the game was effectively an afterthought, especailly once it had got going after two or three series.

And whether you win or not is down to dumb luck rather than skill anyway, since you had a 1 in 3 chance of hitting a hotspot with every move in the endgame. Hit too many and you lost.

That's what made the endgame exciting. Turn it into a long, drawn out serious quiz round and it wouldn't have worked. Contestants still won money for every move they made across and kept their prizes from earlier in the show so didn't lose everything.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 02:32 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  That's what made the endgame exciting. Turn it into a long, drawn out serious quiz round and it wouldn't have worked. Contestants still won money for every move they made across and kept their prizes from earlier in the show so didn't lose everything.

Bullseye changed the rule later so if you chose to try and get 101 in six you had to gamble your first half winnings and whatever you'd won otherwise all you get is BFH.

BFH of course being cheaper if you lived in or around Birmingham (or later Nottingham) Wink

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 03-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 10:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Cash prizes on Wheel of Fortune came later in the original run. Originally it was just a car on offer, as there was naff all else, as whatever you racked up on the wheel just decided to went to play for the car - you might have racked up 20k points but you weren't going to get £20k like you did in the original format and the later reboot...

That's actually not the case, there was always a cash prize- in the first 5 series they had the option of cash, a car, or a holiday (in fact in series 2 they made a point that the £5,000 jackpot was the biggest cash prize on British TV at the time) though I don't think anyone ever went for the holiday, series 6 was £10,000 and a car, series 7-10 was either £20,000 or a car (via choosing an envelops), then it was £2,000 on the daytime episodes.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 02:32 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  That's what made the endgame exciting. Turn it into a long, drawn out serious quiz round and it wouldn't have worked. Contestants still won money for every move they made across and kept their prizes from earlier in the show so didn't lose everything.

Not in the first few series of Strike It Lucky, they did have to get all the way across to get the money (which led to most contestants opting for the lowest jackpot), it wasn't until a few series in they started giving 10% of the money for every space they didn't hit a hotspot.

OK, thanks. I dare say if there had been a couple on Strike It Lucky/Rich who made it to the endgame with naff prizes from earlier and were absolutely pitiful avoiding the hotspots, Barrymore would have given them a holiday to make up for it.

There was another gameshow with screens and spot prizes that I remember seeing though can't remember the name of it but it was 90s.