Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - steve - 16-02-2023

(16-02-2023, 02:28 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(16-02-2023, 02:53 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  That was the joke. Their scheduling is baffling at times.

ICSYV was supposed to be family entertainment and that was on far too late.

I was surprised at the axing of ICSYV, I 100% agree it was on too late however from what I seen it was holding it's own in terms of ratings

Also surprised at the axing - it's one of the few new shows of late that we've all watched and enjoyed together and seemed a decent and different format. But what do we know!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 16-02-2023

They didn't seem to know where to schedule ICSYV so not sure there was much confidence in it.

The first series went out in April/May 2021 and then there were 18 months before the second appeared in Oct/Nov/Dec last year.

It could have been the main event on a Saturday in the Spring / Summer rather than crammed into an already packed Autumn schedule. Some weeks they couldn't fit it in and it had to take several weeks off.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 16-02-2023

And now we're back to the situation where Pointless Celebrities is in the centre of the schedule at 8pm when really it's an early evening show. The Wheel is back next week too replacing Big Show with the last 5 episodes of the series, which TBH is better scheduling than it had in the autumn and a strong offering up against Ant and Dec.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Gary Baldy - 17-02-2023

(16-02-2023, 10:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And now we're back to the situation where Pointless Celebrities is in the centre of the schedule at 8pm when really it's an early evening show.    The Wheel is back next week too replacing Big Show with the last 5 episodes of the series, which TBH is better scheduling than it had in the autumn and a strong offering up against Ant and Dec.

The frustrating thing is the Beeb actually have a nice little set of Saturday night shows on BBC1 now after struggling for a while in the 2010s, but the scheduling of them is a nightmare. Because the Beeb can’t make their mind up where to put their light entertainment shows, Casualty always ends up suffering- I can’t think of any other show that’s been in as many timeslots.. some weeks it starts around 7, some weeks it’s nearly 10 o’clock… no wonder viewing figures have dipped- nobody knows what time the bloody thing’s on it now.

- Pointless Celebrities, Hit List, Mastermind, Bridge of Lies- these shows should be the lead in to something bigger, not the centrepiece of the schedule. I also don’t think Bridge of Lies is Saturday night material at all- it lacks the warmth banter of Pointless for example- that manages to have a bit more gravitas compared to its daytime equivalent in order for it to work well on Saturdays- Mastermind adds a bit of chit-chat in its celeb version too, but Bridge of Lies Celebrity Version is practically identical to the daytime version, to the point that they might as well have just bunged it out alongside the daytime episodes. I like the daytime version of Bridge of Lies, but it’s not Saturday night material at all- the celeb eps should air in the daytime slots, just like Moneybags’ celeb specials for C4 did. Bridge of Lies suffers from the same issue that House of Games Night did- it’s just too similar to the daytime version.

Strictly- this is the centre piece of the schedule, the main event- they don’t really have anything else on this scale, besides the Eurovision when that airs, but even then it’s only the final that airs on BBC1- I wonder will they put the semis on BBC1 this time with the UK hosting the event?

Big Show/Wheel- Big Show, when airing outside of Strictly season is the main event. The Wheel is better as the lead-out of the main event rather than the lead-in, as Big Show always was. It’s a shame The Wall’s gone too- I liked that one- Danny Dyer surprisingly good host.

Blankety Blank is OK- it’s just a bit… dated? I enjoy it but I’m not sure it feels like much effort is really put into it these days compared to the Wogan/Dawson eras- even the Lily Savage era- yes, the Lily era had more of a parody tone that the Bradley era has somewhat replicated, the difference being that the Lily Savage era’s comedy felt organic and authentic (I can only imagine the bloopers)- the comedy of the Bradley version feels forced, and dare I say it, safe- there’s not much innuendo anymore which was always a key part of previous incarnations. I still like it, it’s a fun little closer to the night, but I think they should choose either that *or* The Wheel to be the lead-out of the centrepiece, not airing them both on the same night. It’s interesting with Blankety Blank though- all 3 Christmas specials of the Bradley version have felt very much like classic Blankety Blank- why is the main series so bland, when the Christmas eps get the tone spot-on?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 05:04 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  - Pointless Celebrities, Hit List, Mastermind, Bridge of Lies- these shows should be the lead in to something bigger, not the centrepiece of the schedule. I also don’t think Bridge of Lies is Saturday night material at all- it lacks the warmth banter of Pointless for example- that manages to have a bit more gravitas compared to its daytime equivalent in order for it to work well on Saturdays- Mastermind adds a bit of chit-chat in its celeb version too, but Bridge of Lies Celebrity Version is practically identical to the daytime version, to the point that they might as well have just bunged it out alongside the daytime episodes. I like the daytime version of Bridge of Lies, but it’s not Saturday night material at all- the celeb eps should air in the daytime slots, just like Moneybags’ celeb specials for C4 did. Bridge of Lies suffers from the same issue that House of Games Night did- it’s just too similar to the daytime version.

Agree about the shows, they all need to be in the 6pm hour to kickstart Saturday night, much like how Catchphrase does over on ITV1.

But I do enjoy Celebrity Bridge of Lies. I don't quite understand when you say it's too similar to the daytime version? Surely The Chase & Tipping Point are also like that? They're identical apart from the fact it is celebrities playing? House of Games Night suffered because it was the same 30 minute length just spread across 5 weeks instead of 5 days. I still think that should would've worked better in 45 minute episodes to make it really different to the BBC Two show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Gary Baldy - 17-02-2023

The audience makes the two you mentioned have a different feel to their daytime counterparts, but Bridge of Lies is just the same- nothing sets it apart

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 17-02-2023

There is something to be said about a lack of atmosphere in Saturday gameshows. Basic Q&A formats produced in sterile studios work well during the week because it matches the mood of everything going on around then, but people want something different at the weekend, preferably something that matches their weekend - loud, relaxing, fun.

In fairness to the BBC, they are limited as to what they can show/produce because films no longer rate well, there is a lack of comedy options because comedians don't want to do sitcoms but that is a problem faced all the time, physical gameshows are H&S nightmares, dramas cost money, etc. If the aim is to provide an alternative, why bother with performance formats when ITV have them nearly all year round? So standard gameshows it is. Another thing is that some ideas work better as half hour shows and the BBC don't want half hour shows so good formats will be missed out on.

House of Games will never work on primetime BBC1 because much of the entertainment value is in the cleverness of the question writing but that will go over most people's heads, so won't appeal to a general audience.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 05:04 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(16-02-2023, 10:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And now we're back to the situation where Pointless Celebrities is in the centre of the schedule at 8pm when really it's an early evening show.    The Wheel is back next week too replacing Big Show with the last 5 episodes of the series, which TBH is better scheduling than it had in the autumn and a strong offering up against Ant and Dec.

The frustrating thing is the Beeb actually have a nice little set of Saturday night shows on BBC1 now after struggling for a while in the 2010s, but the scheduling of them is a nightmare. Because the Beeb can’t make their mind up where to put their light entertainment shows, Casualty always ends up suffering- I can’t think of any other show that’s been in as many timeslots.. some weeks it starts around 7, some weeks it’s nearly 10 o’clock… no wonder viewing figures have dipped- nobody knows what time the bloody thing’s on it now.

- Pointless Celebrities, Hit List, Mastermind, Bridge of Lies- these shows should be the lead in to something bigger, not the centrepiece of the schedule. I also don’t think Bridge of Lies is Saturday night material at all- it lacks the warmth banter of Pointless for example

Strictly- this is the centre piece of the schedule, the main event- they don’t really have anything else on this scale, besides the Eurovision when that airs, but even then it’s only the final that airs on BBC1- I wonder will they put the semis on BBC1 this time with the UK hosting the event?

Big Show/Wheel- Big Show, when airing outside of Strictly season is the main event. The Wheel is better as the lead-out of the main event rather than the lead-in, as Big Show always was. It’s a shame The Wall’s gone too- I liked that one- Danny Dyer surprisingly good host.

Blankety Blank is OK- it’s just a bit… dated?

Very much agree with your assessment there.   I have wondered if moving Casualty to Fridays (and expanding to an hour) might be wise, but as badly treated as it is it is useful on a Saturday when they haven't got much else going on.    I did think it slotted in a bit better at 40 minutes though and perhaps they should have kept that reduction.

Agree Bridge of Lies is not Saturday night material and just replacing contestants with celebs doesn't make it such - needed to be made more shiny floor really.   Pointless Celebs and Mastermind are a little bit more than just celebs playing the daytime game (as are the ITV equivalents).

Big Show and The Wheel can be the main event - they can both hold their own in their own right.   I do find Michale McIntyre a bit marmite - Big Show can be very good and rates well though and I think if they could get a six part run in at the end of the year and another in the Spring (once Ant and Dec finish up), then The Wheel in between in Q1 (with possibly repeats in the summer) that is a solid schedule.    Personally I'd be putting Gladiators in Q1 too but we all know it'll end up paired up with Strictly, even though it's actually probably not a natural lead in for it - and may find itself struggling up against Rugby World Cup matches this year.

As for Bradley - if he's having a Saturday job at the BBC he is probably their best shot of making a Generation Game revival successful, and that would be far better than Blankety Blank.   That said although unremarkable and dated, it does fit in the post-Strictly slot nicely.

Overall though BBC1 on Saturdays feels so much stronger than even just this time last year.   It finally feels like light entertainment is getting the investment that drama has been getting over the last few years.    If only they could now turn their attention to comedy and find the big sitcoms for a new generation and things across the schedule will look so much healthier.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 23-02-2023

Can't find a more suitable thread so...

A 1978 Krypton Factor episode is below.  Things to observe:

[list=1]
[*] The finish line for the assault course in this era is jumping off an 18ft high ledge.  The aerial slide wouldn't be introduced for best part of another decade.  Yet they had more injuries and accidents/incidents after the aerial slide was introduced than they ever did before it (that we know of anyway)
[*]If you ever wondered what would happen if you get presented with an intelligence challenge that requires two hands, but you've broken your arm (on said assault course), then wonder no more.
[*]Also if you ever wondered why pre 1987 episodes of Krypton Factor were never repeated on Ftn/Virgin1/Challenge, the observation round will probably give you a clue as to why.
[*]Inability to refer to anybody by their first name only for some reason.
[*]Also whole lots of "early instalment weirdness" compared to the better known era.  Gordon Burns wouldn't get a desk to sit at for at least another two years.  Riding in a flight simulator didn't become a thing until the mid 80s, and even then it was reserved for the finals and the grand final.
[/list]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44GfO2JI6s 

One thing's for sure, you probably wouldn't see somebody "winning" a race these days by jumping off an 18ft high ledge, so this is very much of its time.  Surprised they weren't more broken legs/ankles than there were.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 27-02-2023

Stephen Fry to host Jeopardy! On ITV1 in the autumn.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/stephen-fry-jeopardy-itv-uk-1235272799/