Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 30-04-2024

They bought SM:TV too... but not CD:UK as their rights went to the US. Seems strange seeing as they were both effectively the same show, especially when it first began and SM:TV was basically treated as a CD:UK pre-show and was pretty much an afterthought. Was strange when we had the Story of SM:TV a few years back where they talked about how the show was tied into CD:UK, but couldn't show any clips from it (well... I guess they could have paid to buy clips in if they really wanted to).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 30-04-2024

(30-04-2024, 11:58 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, I'd have thought the reason it's not repeated is simply because - what 30 year old kids shows DO get repeated? They're pretty rare, especially live action ones. In fact the only recent example I can think of is a few shows (Power Rangers and some Nickelodeon sitcoms) turning up on one of the Trace music channels. It's probably as simple as nobody wants to show Byker Grove - nor CBBC's other long runner Grange Hill.

Other than a channel which only showed old kids shows and which probably wouldn't be profitable, the best bet would be themed channels for different decades which also have the adult shows of the time to pick up the slack.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - sjames - 30-04-2024

When the CBBC channel first started they showed some older shows for a while - although probably more 15-20 years old, and in the 90's they showed Classic Grange Hill on Sunday mornings.

Nickelodeon had the Nick Jr Classics slot for a while which showed Rainbow and Mr Benn amongst others. The most recent example has to be Talking Pictures TV which is showing Worzel Gummidge and the various Gerry Anderson shows amongst its line-up.

It's a shame classic kids TV doesn't get much of a look-in as there is a lot of shows which are never likely to see the light of day otherwise.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JLav25 - 30-04-2024

I might be misremembering, but I vaguely remember Grange Hill going out on Drama at one point? Ofc BBC Four have occasionally done classic kids TV nights, but I'm surprised there isn't more of an archive on iPlayer

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 30-04-2024

(30-04-2024, 06:08 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  I might be misremembering, but I vaguely remember Grange Hill going out on Drama at one point? Ofc BBC Four have occasionally done classic kids TV nights, but I'm surprised there isn't more of an archive on iPlayer

I suspect it's a cost thing to shove it on iPlayer, the content dating from a time when internet and streaming was a few decades away. For the amount of views something like that is going to get it probably not worth the cost in this era of "woe is us we have no money".

I'm assuming the BBC still own the rights to "classic" Grange Hill, considering they farmed production of it out to Phil Redmond's company in its last few years, and IIRC the BBC wanted to do something for the 30th anniversary, but it all went quiet after that and it passed without much if any fanfare.

They used to have some archive CBBC/Children's BBC shows on iPlayer (including the first series of Demon Headmaster) but that's all expired now I believe.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 30-04-2024

(30-04-2024, 11:58 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, I'd have thought the reason it's not repeated is simply because - what 30 year old kids shows DO get repeated? They're pretty rare, especially live action ones. In fact the only recent example I can think of is a few shows (Power Rangers and some Nickelodeon sitcoms) turning up on one of the Trace music channels. It's probably as simple as nobody wants to show Byker Grove - nor CBBC's other long runner Grange Hill.

Grange Hill is all (or mostly) on BritBox to be fair, so if they could they’d probably do the same for Byker.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 01-05-2024

News all over the tabloids today that Epic Gameshow has been axed. Although I think everyone probably already realised that.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - ACTV - 01-05-2024

It was axed last year? From what I remember it was part of the Saturday night purge blamed on rugby.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 01-05-2024

(30-04-2024, 06:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  They used to have some archive CBBC/Children's BBC shows on iPlayer (including the first series of Demon Headmaster) but that's all expired now I believe.

I didn't realise the Demon Headmaster was ever on the iPlayer, though I own the DVD anyway, so no worries about it expiring.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 01-05-2024

Re. Epic Gameshow, it was done but there will probably be a similar compilation format in future. The Masked Dancer was another show that was "rested" which likely won't be back. Ninja Warrior? I just don't see how it can work again.