Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - VMPhil - 03-03-2023

Ha…

https://twitter.com/tobytarrant/status/1631629503041527810?s=46&t=a2qo3U5M6ZYm7zKDVqcKYg 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 04-03-2023

Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere but Starstruck looks to have an extra episode this series considering that 28 acts have been revealed (four more than usual), meaning there will be seven acts in the final.

Discussion elsewhere about potential future performances... any budding Michael Jacksons are not being encouraged to apply given he is not on the list. Maybe they have enough people already?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Gary Baldy - 04-03-2023

Or maybe it’s because of the documentary that came out a couple of years ago which didn’t paint him in the most positive light…

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 05-03-2023

Indeed, but it can be telling how different programme makers approach things, for example, have TOTP repeats featured Jackson? Certainly, he is still played on radio in the UK.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 06-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 10:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 05:04 PM)Score Wrote:  I think it might run through the Summer, possibly alongside The Voice and Moneyball. Not necessarily all 3 at once, with no primetime football they’ve got a full 3 month Summer to fill, so they could run across the Summer in some formation.

There’s not really room for The Voice in the Autumn this year as we’ve said before, and whilst they ran Bond repeat last Summer, in both 2021 and 2019 they did run a full Saturday night schedule through most of the Summer, so they could well do so again.

Another stripped run could be an option for Millionaire as well. Beat the Chasers normally runs a week in May but that isn’t filming until May so there’s a potential gap it could fill there.

There’s also the Mamma Mia series to fit in, but I could see that being Sundays in the Spring.

I'd imagine The Voice will air in the autumn as it did last year - just imagine some shows that aired Sept-Oct last year will push to Nov-Dec this year with the RWC kicking off the autumn rather than being at the back end of it as the FIFA WC was.   

Last year ITV put less effort into their summer Saturday schedules than they have done for a number of years, even with no World Cup, so I don't think they'll be playing a big franchise there this year.

I think last year might have been a bit of an outlier, driven by how much they stuffed the Autumn schedule. I do think they’ll do more in the Summer this year, whether it’s The Voice or the Mamma Mia series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 09-03-2023

TVZone reporting that The Voice Kids is returning to a Summer slot.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 02:05 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  TVZone reporting that The Voice Kids is returning to a Summer slot.

Indeed, although sticking with just 3 episodes. So I guess it’ll be 3 Saturdays in August (or possibly stripped across the Bank Holiday weekend but I doubt it).

If the adult series is 9 episodes again (like in 2022) then that plus the 3 episodes of The Voice Kids fit nicely into the Summer between the end of BGT/Soap Awards and the start of the Rugby World Cup.

Presumably that would leave the Mamma Mia series for November/December following the end of the RWC. Suppose Mamma Mia and adult Voice could run either way around but I guess that will be the structure of it whichever way around they air.

The Voice Kids didn’t do particularly well at Christmas just gone so I’m not all that surprised by the move. 3 episodes still seems incredibly short though.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 09-03-2023

The Voice Kids was on far too late at Xmas, starting at 8.30 and finishing at 10, but it would have rated poorly in any case.

Episode count is something always commented on with The Voice, but whatever version it is, it never seems to be able to hold onto viewers after the auditions. It's never been as exciting as X Factor, seems too formatty and hard to keep track of with all the technicalities and sheer number of contestants involved, plus the grand prize is worthless.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - AaronLancs - 10-03-2023

Thinking on with ITV and The Voice in general. Anyone think it has been a bit of a "poison chalice" in that ITV's main 'talent show' formats are and were Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor. But since the poaching of the show from the BBC would and could one venture to say it has stuck out like a sore thumb against the more "prestigious" aforementioned Talent and Factor.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 10-03-2023

Comparisons to what had come before have had an impact, but up until moving to ITV The Voice was considered a bit of a flop, because it failed to build an audience or find a star. The format and the tone has always been a problem.

Singers are good but they always seem to stay in their comfort zones, unlike TXF where the themed weeks meant that people had to push themselves. The types of songs tend to be singer songwriter ballads, which performance after performance is dull to watch. Being set in the same studio all the way through, unlike again TXF, where it moves from the exhibition centres to the judges houses to the live shows doesn't help either because there's isn't the cliché journey for viewers to latch onto. The winner's single is underwhelming because there's no highs and lows up until that point. But otherwise an alright show to while away 90 minutes.