Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - sjames - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 11:21 AM)Nobby Wrote:  BTW, Stephen Mulhern was on Would I Lie to You in recent years, so he is not exclusively ITV property. I doubt you'd see Ant and/or Dec make such an appearance for example.

Stephen was also on Blue Peter a couple of weeks ago promoting his children's book and actually showed he'd make a better presenter than those that currently present show. Ant and Dec on the other hand have turned up on The One Show when they've got something to promote, so not completely tied to ITV.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 08:17 PM)sjames Wrote:  Stephen was also on Blue Peter a couple of weeks ago promoting his children's book and actually showed he'd make a better presenter than those that currently present show.

Admittedly not surprising considering Stephen has been a presenter for over 20 years whilst the current Blue Peter presenters have probably been in the industry for less than a quarter of the time he has.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 08:17 PM)sjames Wrote:  actually showed he'd make a better presenter than those that currently present show.

I'm not sure why you are apparenty surprised that somebody who has been presenting live TV for 25 years, including several years of CITV continuity and another few years of Saturday morning magazine shows would feel at home on Blue Peter?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 20-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 08:17 PM)sjames Wrote:  Stephen was also on Blue Peter a couple of weeks ago promoting his children's book and actually showed he'd make a better presenter than those that currently present show. Ant and Dec on the other hand have turned up on The One Show when they've got something to promote, so not completely tied to ITV.

I think you need to read up on how guest appearances on the likes of The One Show actually work. Its probably safe to say they are almost always not there for fun or just because they happened to be in the area. You've already highlighted the real reason for 95% of those appearances.

As for your comments on Mulhern - yeah, for reasons already stated its probably no great surprise.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - sjames - 21-06-2023

(20-06-2023, 10:44 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I'm not sure why you are apparenty surprised that somebody who has been presenting live TV for 25 years, including several years of CITV continuity and another few years of Saturday morning magazine shows would feel at home on Blue Peter?

I wasn't surprised as I remember watching Stephen in his early days on CiTV shows. I was just pointing out that Blue Peter are missing that level of professionalism more experienced presenters have because the current trio are quite weak compared to some in the recent past.

(20-06-2023, 11:15 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I think you need to read up on how guest appearances on the likes of The One Show actually work. Its probably safe to say they are almost always not there for fun or just because they happened to be in the area. You've already highlighted the real reason for 95% of those appearances.

As for your comments on Mulhern - yeah, for reasons already stated its probably no great surprise.

I'm fully aware of how guest appearances work. I was just pointing out that Ant and Dec have made some BBC appearances in recent years. I think as well as the One Show, they've done some bits of Comic Relief in the past and they were due to do a car show but it didn't get past pilot stage.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 21-06-2023

I’d be pretty surprised if Ant & Dec didn’t have still have their golden handcuffs deal with ITV forbidding them to presenting on other rival channels. I think that car show would have just been an Ant & Dec format and they wouldn’t have been allowed to present it.

Having a golden handcuffs deal wouldn’t prevent talent from appearing as a guest on another channel as that would be counter productive from the point of view of everyone.

I don’t think Mulhern would have an exclusive deal with ITV, I imagine that would have prevented him from appearing on WILTY in a capacity that wasn’t to plug something. Of course whilst Ant & Dec have never appeared on WILTY, WILTY has appeared on Ant & Dec.

Of course you mention Ant & Dec did do a one off ‘Friday Night Takeaway’ on BBC One as part of Comic Relief night ages ago but those would have no doubt been considered special circumstances.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 21-06-2023

Any Golden Handcuffs deal is potentially open to negotiation. ITV would reserve the right to say no, but if the talent ask for permission to do something it's open to ITV to grant that if they wish.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 21-06-2023

Ant and Dec pretty much the only golden handcuff deal remaining now - 20 years ago they were dishing them out quite frequently.

Have Ant and Dec produced anything for other channels in recent years? Only thing I can think of was that half tournament in tge late noughties which started on Sky, though think it did move to ITV after a couple of years.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 21-06-2023

Ant and Dec have remained exclusive to ITV. I am sure they are currently the highest paid TV presenters here in the UK, possibly on a level or just above Graham Norton who earns a huge fee from the BBC for his talk show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 21-06-2023

I think they have an extra zero on their pay packet compared to Graham Norton.