Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - all new phil - 26-06-2023

Surprised as I’d say Starstruck has better repeat / FAST channel potential. Much like The Masked Singer you can just watch an episode on its own and dip in and out, whereas you’re less likely to do that with The Voice where you need to make more of a commitment.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 28-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 10:30 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The Voice has been in sharp decline for a while now. It was lucky to get 4m last year, aided by a summer of nothing. The death of The Queen and the BBC handing ITV two Saturdays on a plate prolonged that luck…

Have condensed the quote but agree with most of what you’ve said there. Starstruck was flawed from the off, too bloated, had no tension and had the ultimate problem that tribute acts are just really naff. TV has moved on from Stars in Their Eyes and once the initial novelty wore off I suspect a straight revival of that would do no better.

The Voice has declined a long way but the audition shows at least can still do a job. Also worth saying they’ve condensed it a lot over the years. Only 9 episodes last year and I understand even less this year?

Wheel of Fortune might get the post-Takeaway slot next year although I also wouldn’t be surprised if it takes the In With a Shout slot (50/50 on whether that returns). I know ITV are developing a several deception / deceit type gameshows (no doubt following the success of The Traitors) so one of those could possibly take the slot as well if they get commissioned. I did wonder if they’d use the Mamma Mia talent show but I think that’s planned for this Autumn.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 28-06-2023

The Voice surviving on the basis of the blind auditions I think points to the "will somebody turn for them?" aspect being at least fruitful to viewers whereas wanting somebody to win the show is seen as pointless given its history of not making a star and so people don't bother watching to the end.

Try as they might, deceit type shows aren't Saturday night telly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 10:19 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The Voice surviving on the basis of the blind auditions I think points to the "will somebody turn for them?" aspect being at least fruitful to viewers whereas wanting somebody to win the show is seen as pointless given its history of not making a star and so people don't bother watching to the end.

Try as they might, deceit type shows aren't Saturday night telly.

I’ve said for years they’d have been better off putting a cash prize on The Voice. The winners have never gone on to mainstream success whereas a six figure cash prize is something tangible to the audience that makes the competition worth winning. If they’ve not done it by now I doubt they ever will though.

When I say deceit shows I’m imagining a studio gameshow involving deceit, not something exactly like The Traitors. I guess Poker Face and Golden Balls are examples of it. Both only achieved minor success (although Golden Balls did make quite a lot of series in a short space of time) but perhaps with deceit coming into fashion there’s scope for such a show to do a bit better. 

Actually thinking about it I would not be surprised if reboots of Poker Face and Golden Balls are being shopped around the broadcasters already.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 28-06-2023

It does seem that talent shows are on the way out with new commissions now mainly gameshows.

US formats seemingly appealing to ITV at the moment, Jeopardy, Password, Wheel of Fortune - although not convinced any of these will fly here.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 28-06-2023

The original UK Wheel of Fortune was popular and ran for 13 years, and has been in a loop on Challenge for years, which they wouldn't be doing if people weren't watching, so not sure why you'd assume the new one won't be popular.

As long as they don't mess with the format to much to be more like the US version with all the vowel buying and giving them half the alphabet in the final round.

Password and Jeopardy I can understand, as past UK versions never took off (and not for a lack of trying either, both had several attempts- Password appearing on all 4 terrestrial channels in the 70s and 80s!).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 28-06-2023

ITV are going to try anything to get the viewers - they look back at the classic game shows and then throw some new rebooted versions on air to see which will stick, it's the only way they can see if they can gain another decent hit.

I am looking forward to watching them, to see if they are good for 2023/2024.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - mdta - 28-06-2023

Do we get a new version of the UK Wheel of Fortune theme (probably remixed by Marc Sylvan) - or something new?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 28-06-2023

In America don't they just open the show with the audience shouting the show's name? I hope that doesn't make it over here.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 11:58 AM)James2001 Wrote:  In America don't they just open the show with the audience shouting the show's name? I hope that doesn't make it over here.

Bare in mind in the US Wheel of Fortune is a daily show, churned out five days a week through the year, whereas the UK version was and will remain a weekly version, which makes the feel of the show different in the US to here. 

Also the time limit, as half hour syndicated game shows in the US run for barely 20 minutes, as they squeeze in plenty of commercials, so having a long drawn out intro music and opening titles is a waste of precious time for the US version.