Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 10:35 AM)Score Wrote:  I’ve said for years they’d have been better off putting a cash prize on The Voice. The winners have never gone on to mainstream success whereas a six figure cash prize is something tangible to the audience that makes the competition worth winning. If they’ve not done it by now I doubt they ever will though.

When I say deceit shows I’m imagining a studio gameshow involving deceit, not something exactly like The Traitors. I guess Poker Face and Golden Balls are examples of it. Both only achieved minor success (although Golden Balls did make quite a lot of series in a short space of time) but perhaps with deceit coming into fashion there’s scope for such a show to do a bit better. 

Actually thinking about it I would not be surprised if reboots of Poker Face and Golden Balls are being shopped around the broadcasters already.

Changing the prize to money on The Voice would encourage people of lesser singing ability to apply but the show would probably become more sob story orientated, which I think would make it a turn off even at the blind auditions.

Poker Face and Golden Balls were fairly popular but like The Traitors appointment TV rather than event TV, which I think there is a difference between. I'm not sure that people want to watch these types of shows on Saturday nights and the desire to create massive positive buzz around something where the conceit "somebody is lying" would fall flat. I can see why broadcasters want to move away from basic quiz shows because they don't rate that well but something as simple as what you suggested with changing a prize can make a difference.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - gottago - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 11:27 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  It does seem that talent shows are on the way out with new commissions now mainly gameshows.

US formats seemingly appealing to ITV at the moment, Jeopardy, Password, Wheel of Fortune - although not convinced any of these will fly here.

I think Wheel of Fortune at least is well known and remembered enough for it to return solidly, although I still maintain that it is deathly dull and Graham's going to be working hard to make it work in 2023.

Password will be played more as a comedy ents show at 9pm so think that's a different proposition that should do well.

Jeopardy is the one I am absolutely convinced will fail. Personally I think the format is bloody awful and I've never understood the love it gets online, though I think a lot of that is down to it being a very old show in the States with records to break and interesting quirks in the format every so often - a bit like University Challenge and Countdown over here I suppose. But it certainly doesn't have that legacy over here.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 12:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Bare in mind in the US Wheel of Fortune is a daily show, churned out five days a week through the year, whereas the UK version was and will remain a weekly version, which makes the feel of the show different in the US to here. 

Also the time limit, as half hour syndicated game shows in the US run for barely 20 minutes, as they squeeze in plenty of commercials, so having a long drawn out intro music and opening titles is a waste of precious time for the US version.

The UK version only had the logo over a studio shot rather than any lengthy opening sequence anyway.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 02:54 PM)gottago Wrote:  I think Wheel of Fortune at least is well known and remembered enough for it to return solidly, although I still maintain that it is deathly dull and Graham's going to be working hard to make it work in 2023.

Password will be played more as a comedy ents show at 9pm so think that's a different proposition that should do well.

Jeopardy is the one I am absolutely convinced will fail. Personally I think the format is bloody awful and I've never understood the love it gets online, though I think a lot of that is down to it being a very old show in the States with records to break and interesting quirks in the format every so often - a bit like University Challenge and Countdown over here I suppose. But it certainly doesn't have that legacy over here.

The thing with Wheel of Fortune is that it is/was a weekday show, another reason why it may not do as well as hoped.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 28-06-2023

I wonder how high they'll go with the prize - either the standard £20-£30k or will they have a wheel of random prizes like in the US - probably not go as far as £1m but could see them having prizes from £25k-£250k

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 28-06-2023

As long as they bring back the cheesy prize videos!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 03:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The UK version only had the logo over a studio shot rather than any lengthy opening sequence anyway.
Yeah, it had a theme tune, but not a proper title sequence. Maybe that was a common trend in that era, as I remember it was the same for CrossWits and Strike It Lucky, and I think Family Fortunes only got a proper title sequence when Les Dennis took over, the name of the show was originally just on the electronic answer board.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 28-06-2023

Even Family Fortunes didn't get a proper title sequence until 1990, the first 3 Les Dennis series was just various shots of the studio and audience cut in time to the music.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 29-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 07:08 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, it had a theme tune, but not a proper title sequence. Maybe that was a common trend in that era, as I remember it was the same for CrossWits and Strike It Lucky, and I think Family Fortunes only got a proper title sequence when Les Dennis took over, the name of the show was originally just on the electronic answer board.

Quite a few American gameshows of that time (of which Strike It Rich, which Strike It Lucky was based on) had the studio openings with some graphics overlaid (indeed the original Blockbusters with Bill Cullen just had the logo hanging from the ceiling which doubled up as the opening shot!)

Episodes of Crosswits had graphics overlaid (or they did in 1988 at least) before it received a proper title sequence after that, though that show apparently started in 1985 and was originally hosted by Barry Cryer so whether it had a "proper" sequence in that era I don't know as there appears to be no pre Tom O'Connor episodes on YouTube.

Family Fortunes is the obvious example though, as it used the electronic screen (Mr Babbage) for pretty much everything - the programme title, the credits, the score board... Which was fine until they introduced that horrible colour screen in 1987, which they got rid of pretty quickly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 30-06-2023

So, with many shows revived over the last few years, what does everyone think will be the next revival?

Wheel of Fortune had a pilot with Alison Hammond then things went quiet and now it's back on. Similarly, she also did Friends Like These and that was supposedly taken no further. Maybe that will work with another presenter?