Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 22-07-2023

I’ve always been slightly confused why Rolling In It was sat on the shelf so long then proved a hit only to be silently axed!

I particularly liked Stephen’s ‘Let’s play Rolling In It’ hand gesture which seems to have been used in international variants

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 22-07-2023

Call me cynical, but maybe it was axed because they'd already destroyed the set?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 22-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 11:21 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Call me cynical, but maybe it was axed because they'd already destroyed the set?

Not sure that’s true because they did film a second series after the first one became an unexpected hit?

It is certainly a strange one not to recommission, because it’s a better show than Moneyball, In With A Shout or Romeo and Duet. Plus was still getting ITV2 repeats recently.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 23-07-2023

How has the Moneyball format changed from last series as I didn't watch it?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Worzel - 23-07-2023

Subzero. Filmed in TC1 at Television Centre.

https://youtu.be/PicIDLcboHY 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 23-07-2023

(23-07-2023, 12:07 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  How has the Moneyball format changed from last series as I didn't watch it?

The main change is switching to pairs playing rather than individuals, which seems to be the case with many new game shows now.

Yes, ITV Summer Saturdays haven't been great but at least a bit of new content in recent weeks, even if very limited.   I doubt we'll see much from then now till after the Rugby World Cup with them essentially shifting last years Sept/Oct schedule to Nov/Dec.

BBC1 as reliant on back to back gameshows as ever but actually new episodes of Pointless and The Hit List, along with Casualty and some 9.15 drama means it's relatively strong - arguably stronger than Q1/Q2.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 23-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 09:57 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I could argue "visually interesting" is relatively recent. Quite a few games of yesteryear didn't really have any interesting visuals, yet somehow managed to run for years. Maybe the audience has changed so much and now have the attention span of a gnat so it has to look pretty to be memorable.

Perhaps we're just in the space between a rock and a hard place with gameshows at the moment. If they look pretty, they don't last. If they don't look pretty, they also don't last. What do you do?

Looks are a factor but in the case of Moneyball the rolling of a ball is just that, very underwhelming. It's probably what got it commissioned in the first place because it's something interesting/different that stands out but it feels like an aside to the show whereas the wheel on The Wheel plays more of a role.

I think with so many shows drawing from the same pool of knowledge, there have to be gimmicks but it's the case that if a gimmick is crap then viewers can easily watch something else with a better gimmick instead.

Less gameshows overall would be good but sadly shows of other genres which were in these slots before wouldn't work nowadays for a variety of reasons.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 23-07-2023

I don’t think the Wheel really works with just a random host though, it’s a good vehicle for the person who hosts it and is helped by the fact he’s one the of biggest draws in comedy. I think if you give that show to Rick Edwards or even a less popular comedian it wouldn’t work.

I imagine one of the reasons the US version didn’t really work was that, the host was more or less an unknown over there.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 23-07-2023

(23-07-2023, 02:21 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Looks are a factor but in the case of Moneyball the rolling of a ball is just that, very underwhelming. It's probably what got it commissioned in the first place because it's something interesting/different that stands out but it feels like an aside to the show whereas the wheel on The Wheel plays more of a role.

IIRC the original contraption was different but repeatedly failed when they started filming so they had to scrap it and postpone filming.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 23-07-2023

I think the only change though is the ball being dropped instead of fired because the cannon didn't work properly.