Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 23-07-2023

That's a pretty big change though. I could drop a ball at home quite easily as could most households. I couldn't fire a ball from a cannon though and with the obvious exceptions of Charles, Camilla and their boy William, not many families will have the facilities to do so. 

It's taken something that could be a  spectacular centrepiece (firing a ball from a cannon) and replaced it with something meh (dropping a ball).

It would be like replacing the big cards in Play Your Cards Right with regular sized cards that you might have in a drawer at home, replacing the Countdown clock with a stopwatch that you might have in your cupboard at home or replacing the helicopter in Interceptor with a push bike which you might have in your garage or hallway at home.

All of the above still work as a game but wouldn't be as visually interesting.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 24-07-2023

The ball still has to run on the same track though.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 26-07-2023

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/inwithshout-itvexcs2r1 

In With A Shout recommissioned. Not surprised given how many bang average performers are getting renewed nowadays.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 30-07-2023

I watched a full episode of Moneyball last night and once you've seen one game you've seen them all really, by offering the contestants the chance to cash out so often they're always going to want to be off around £25,000 - £50,000

Oddly you also sort of get an idea of where the ball is going to end up before it even launches because Ian explains which part of the launcher power will make it land in which spot at several times throughout the episode! (Good old Ian seems to 'like it' for every roll though!)

It was also quite interesting for the second set of contestants last night who landed the cash out ball in such a spot (it sort of stopped on the middle line between a win and a lose segement) that the adjudicator would probably have had to come out and assess it

Sitting On A Fortune I do enjoy much more even though I think the prize money is far too generous for what it is, the problem ITV have is they seem to have done some sort of deal with the production company so if they want more Sitting On A Fortune they also have to take more Moneyball...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 30-07-2023

(30-07-2023, 11:04 PM)Johnr Wrote:  I watched a full episode of Moneyball last night and once you've seen one game you've seen them all really, by offering the contestants the chance to cash out so often they're always going to want to be off around £25,000 - £50,000

Oddly you also sort of get an idea of where the ball is going to end up before it even launches because Ian explains which part of the launcher power will make it land in which spot at several times throughout the episode!  (Good old Ian seems to 'like it' for every roll though!)

It was also quite interesting for the second set of contestants last night who landed the cash out ball in such a spot (it sort of stopped on the middle line between a win and a lose segement) that the adjudicator would probably have had to come out and assess it

Sitting On A Fortune I do enjoy much more even though I think the prize money is far too generous for what it is, the problem ITV have is they seem to have done some sort of deal with the production company so if they want more Sitting On A Fortune they also have to take more Moneyball...

Hard to disagree with any of that.

I think ITV should probably ask the production company for another idea alongside more Sitting On A Fortune, as Moneyball doesn't deserve a third shot. It really sticks out at 8pm too.

Talking of prize money in gameshows, The Hit List could really do with upping the prize to £15k or £20k. It's quite a rubbish ending when most people leave with very little/nothing because they get stuck on just 2 or 3 of the songs. Last nights episode featured 2 players whose knowledge was impressive. The penultimate round was so tight because of how quickly they knew every answer... but the final was just disappointing because the money runs down far too quickly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 30-07-2023

The problem for The Hit List is it is a BBC show and BBC game shows tend to be stingy on prize money (angry anti licence fee rants from BBC haters) and so generally try to keep their prize fund to low amounts.

I remember there was a little bit of fuss with Michael McIntyre's The Wheel offering £100,000 or more as their big cash prize. In fact it is possible for the luckiest of contestants to pocket over £200,000 on The Wheel

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 30-07-2023

(30-07-2023, 11:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The problem for The Hit List is it is a BBC show and BBC game shows tend to be stingy on prize money (angry anti licence fee rants from BBC haters) and so generally try to keep their prize fund to low amounts.

I remember there was a little bit of fuss with Michael McIntyre's The Wheel offering £100,000 or more as their big cash prize. In fact it is possible for the luckiest of contestants to pocket over £200,000 on The Wheel

Well you’ve kind of proven the point there. They could do with finding a happy medium for most of their shows. The Wheel & The Wall arguably give/gave prizes that are too high, whereas The Hit List is too low. 

Although, my main gripe isn’t with the amount - more the mechanic which results in the higher end rarely being given away!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 31-07-2023

I would say it's the case that weekend shows have such huge jackpots because it's what is thought separates them from weekday shows but those that have "the journey" like Moneyball suffer because the game is dragged out and there are big jumps in money to compensate for this and to convince contestants to play on but this isn't proportionate to their efforts and in the end makes shows look silly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 31-07-2023

(30-07-2023, 11:04 PM)Johnr Wrote:  I watched a full episode of Moneyball last night and once you've seen one game you've seen them all really, by offering the contestants the chance to cash out so often they're always going to want to be off around £25,000 - £50,000

Oddly you also sort of get an idea of where the ball is going to end up before it even launches because Ian explains which part of the launcher power will make it land in which spot at several times throughout the episode! (Good old Ian seems to 'like it' for every roll though!)
I'm guessing that's the continuing fall out of the threat by OFCOM to investigate supposedly luck based formats a decade or so ago now. That investigation went no where but I guess the idea here is by having a target range it becomes a game of skill rather than luck.

(30-07-2023, 11:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The problem for The Hit List is it is a BBC show and BBC game shows tend to be stingy on prize money (angry anti licence fee rants from BBC haters) and so generally try to keep their prize fund to low amounts.

That's the issue though - you have The Wheel with massive jackpots and then virtually everything else capped in the low thousands.

I think it's ridiculous the jackpot on Survivor is less than you can win in an hour on The Wheel. Yes, they were never going to go to £1m but over a 16 episode commission could probably have stretched further than just over £6k per episode. That said though better the money is invested in production than the prize.

And talking of tight Love Island is still only £50k. I suspect Big Brother will be too.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JasonB - 03-08-2023

Keynotes was a show i remembered as a child in the 9.25am slot. When ever i saw it, Alistair would always end the show and there would be no credits and it would just cut straight to the HTV West and Reg Grundy graphics. However on this particular edition shows the full credits at the end that i've never seen until now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57NU_3xPwM