Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 24-08-2023

https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1694814334852211085 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 24-08-2023

Would have preferred Carrot in a Box.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JamieMurph25 - 25-08-2023

(24-08-2023, 09:51 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1694814334852211085 
So Jimmy Carr went from being a panelist from a game show originated in South Korea ('I Can See Your Voice', lasted 2 seasons on BBC One) to fronting a reality game show, also originated in South Korea (in this case, 'Battle in the Box').

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - NB Guy - 26-08-2023

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/bob-barker-longtime-price-right-host-dies-xx-hold-rcna42292  Bob Barker the legendary host of the price is right has died at the age of 99

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 31-08-2023

I've spotted Takeshi's Castle on Prime and I think this is a repackaging of the reboot version from Japan last year that they've decided needs a UK voiceover in the guise of new commentators Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davis - and its marked as an Amazon Original just for said commentary, though in fairness Challenge did the same thing so...

This is interesting because instead of hacking away at the source material like Challenge did, Amazon have presented this pretty much clean with the original Japanese texts/graphics/presentation and the impression seems to be a lot of former contestants (from both Sasuke and the original Takeshi's Castle) have returned to make a hash of things in the same way they made a hash of things first time round, but there are a few new innovations - some new games, GoPros on helmets, blatant advances in health and safety that require buoyancy aids for water based events, thicker looking helmets and a whole bunch of blatant green screen that tries not to pretend its green screen...

However this reboot is closer to the original show (which is actually a lot slower pace wise than the Challenge version would have you believe it was, which made everybody look suicidal and charged into games like a bull into a china shop) but otherwise seems a semi-decent reboot to my mind Smile

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Happy2001 - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 02:00 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I've spotted Takeshi's Castle on Prime and I think this is a repackaging of the reboot version from Japan last year that they've decided needs a UK voiceover in the guise of new commentators Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davis - and its marked as an Amazon Original just for said commentary, though in fairness Challenge did the same thing so...

This is interesting because instead of hacking away at the source material like Challenge did, Amazon have presented this pretty much clean with the original Japanese texts/graphics/presentation and the impression seems to be a lot of former contestants (from both Sasuke and the original Takeshi's Castle) have returned to make a hash of things in the same way they made a hash of things first time round, but there are a few new innovations - some new games, GoPros on helmets, blatant advances in health and safety that require buoyancy aids for water based events, thicker looking helmets and a whole bunch of blatant green screen that tries not to pretend its green screen...

However this reboot is closer to the original show (which is actually a lot slower pace wise than the Challenge version would have you believe it was, which made everybody look suicidal and charged into games like a bull into a china shop) but otherwise seems a semi-decent reboot to my mind Smile

The original unedited Japanese versions will appear on Amazon Prime in late September.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 31-08-2023

When you see the original uncut Japanese versions (or even the US MXC versions), it really gives the show an entirely different feel to the Challenge versions, which cut out all the contestant interviews, comedy bits and similar. It really did change the tone of the show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 02:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  and its marked as an Amazon Original just for said commentary, though in fairness Challenge did the same thing so...
The new version is an Amazon original! It was commissioned for Prime in Japan, albeit still made by TBS.

(31-08-2023, 02:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  When you see the original uncut Japanese versions (or even the US MXC versions), it really gives the show an entirely different feel to the Challenge versions, which cut out all the contestant interviews, comedy bits and similar. It really did change the tone of the show.
I’d rather the Challenge version than MXC any day. The Challenge version at least follows more or less the format as the original show although it’s simplified. The US takes the original and basically makes up a narrative.

I think the commentators on this new version do a good job and much better than the Comedy Central effort using footage from other Asian nations versions (at least after they replaced Jonathan Ross).

The episodes are a bit shorter than the Japanese version which comes in at an hour and having seen their first episode it’s a good thing as it does start to drag.

The new end game does have a better mechanic for TV, and does seem possible despite being seemingly not.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 31-08-2023

I knew it had been commissioned for Prime in Japan, but I assumed the English commentary was the original part. Maybe it wasn't.

MXC IIRC redubbed the whole Japanese audio to suit its own purpose. Challenge did show these for a bit I believe, before going back to their own version. Then they did their own reboot, which flopped and was never seen again, and now they've washed their hands of their whole incarnation by the looks of it.

Could it be argued Takeshi has the honour of being "rebooted" more times than anything else in the UK?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 05:03 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I knew it had been commissioned for Prime in Japan, but I assumed the English commentary was the original part.  Maybe it wasn't.
Not really sure what you mean. The original show is an Amazon Original and the commentary added for Amazon UK is also original. It’s an Amazon Original in both senses.