Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 09-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 05:28 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Norton's probably well known there because of his chat show?
Yes, his chat show is aired over there. 

Like how the article first states they’ll be recording in London then changes to Manchester. If it was an American article I’d assume they thought Manchester was a suburb of London.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 09-09-2023

Graham's show airs on Network Ten in Australia where they usually get his show on a one or two week delay from BBC One transmission, as well as being on the subscription channel BBC UKTV who generally air the more older shows from the archive

Graham is very well known internationally, even in the US he is a big hit with the viewers and has appeared as a guest on NBC Today, GMA, Tonight Show and Late Night, even Jimmy Fallon appeared via satellite on The Graham Norton Show, to the point where even the US audience say they prefer his show over the raft of US talk shows they currently have.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 09-09-2023

Of course, I understand he’s popular there. But my point was more it’s quite a good get for Australian TV?

It’s pretty good for us to get Graham hosting a game show when he’s usually rarely on telly aside from his chat show these days..

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 11-09-2023

Celebrity Race Against The World, which was meant to begin on Wednesday, has been delayed following the earthquake in Morocco

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - PATV Scunthorpe - 11-09-2023

… for context, the race begins in Marrakesh.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 11-09-2023

Noticed an episode of The Chase the other day which (spoiler alert) had a jackpot of £120k. It was won. Only the 2nd time a six figure jackpot has been won on the regular daytime show since 2018, though this was split three ways and still a distance off the "per player" win record.

Damn, when did daytime gameshows start offering/giving away serious amounts of money? I know The Chase quite often ends up with offering five or (for crap teams) four or even three figure jackpots, but six is something else.

Could there even be a thing where there's too much money on offer?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 10:21 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Noticed an episode of The Chase the other day which (spoiler alert) had a jackpot of £120k.  It was won.  Only the 2nd time a six figure jackpot has been won on the regular daytime show since 2018, though this was split three ways and still a distance off the "per player" win record.

Damn, when did daytime gameshows start offering/giving away serious amounts of money?  I know The Chase quite often ends up with offering five or (for crap teams) four or even three figure jackpots, but six is something else.
Well in 2005 when Deal or No Deal started. It such a rarity for daytime Chase to give out that kind of money though and at guess the per episode prize money budget probably works out at something like 10 grand.*

*According to that One Question Shootout page, it’s about half of that.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 11-09-2023

Yes - Tipping Point probably gives out about the same on average.

Deal or No Deal was the significant step up though - jackpot of £250k (and technically later £500k) but think the average was around £16k, so still much higher than The Chase. Worth noting that all the daytimed versions of primetime quizzes ITV had been running in the early noughties had around £3000 as the jackpot, though think Golden Balls had a potential six figure jackpot when it launched a couple of years after DOND.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 12-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 11:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - Tipping Point probably gives out about the same on average.

Deal or No Deal was the significant step up though - jackpot of £250k (and technically later £500k) but think the average was around £16k, so still much higher than The Chase. Worth noting that all the daytimed versions of primetime quizzes ITV had been running in the early noughties had around £3000 as the jackpot, though think Golden Balls had a potential six figure jackpot when it launched a couple of years after DOND.

IIRC the top ball on Golden Balls was £75k an I think there was only one of those in the machine so in theory if you were able to match it with something else and you were jammy enough to avoid the killers it could be six figures (and again if you were charming enough to convince the other person to split so you can steal the lot), but I don't think anybody's crunched the numbers on the results for Golden Balls in the style of One Question Shootout unless I'm mistaken...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bilky asko - 12-09-2023

One of the classic Split or Steal moments was for a jackpot of £100,150, on a rematch episode for previous losers.

https://youtu.be/7FbkwrhW_0I