Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Bluecortina - 20-09-2023

Thank you. Clearly some sort of ‘collaboration’ between the two then.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 20-09-2023

(20-09-2023, 06:14 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The final series of Strike It Rich aired in 1999, but there was no indication it was the end (unlike what happened in 1992 when Thames lost their licence, though we know now it carried on).

I always presumed ITV decided they'd had enough of it (or it had dropped in the ratings), after all by that point it had been on the air for 13 series worth, and nothing lasts forever.

Though of course Barrymore had other work, and as things panned out if SiR/SiL had still been on the air two years later, it wouldn't have survived (not with him as host anyway)...

Guess like other gameshows at the time it was sacrificed as Emmerdale crept up from 3 times to 5 times a week by the end of 2000, plus of course such gameshows seemed a bit old fashioned and cheap compared to Millionaire.

I do think pretty much ever gameshow that ended around then has returned in some manner since.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 20-09-2023

I wonder if there could be a Strike It Lucky/Rich revivial, or of it's too assosiated with Barrymore and his reputation (not that it's stopped Challenge repeating it for years).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - strollfan - 20-09-2023

(20-09-2023, 09:47 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I wonder if there could be a Strike It Lucky/Rich revivial, or of it's too assosiated with Barrymore and his reputation (not that it's stopped Challenge repeating it for years).

I don't think the format would interest an audience without Barrymore. So much of it was just a vessel for his personality.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - PJamo - 20-09-2023

(20-09-2023, 09:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Guess like other gameshows at the time it was sacrificed as Emmerdale crept up from 3 times to 5 times a week by the end of 2000, plus of course such gameshows seemed a bit old fashioned and cheap compared to Millionaire.

I do think pretty much ever gameshow that ended around then has returned in some manner since.

I used to love those (then) 30 minute gameshows and would love to see some of them back. The Epic Gameshow / Gameshow Marathon series definitely scratched the itch!

An Alan Carr fronted Take Your Pick would be my choice.........

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 21-09-2023

(20-09-2023, 09:47 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I wonder if there could be a Strike It Lucky/Rich revivial, or of it's too assosiated with Barrymore and his reputation (not that it's stopped Challenge repeating it for years).
It was used on Epic Gameshow, so they've tried. It's odd that none of the shows used on Epic were spun off into full revivals - the Vernon Kay version of Family Fortunes came about after it was used on Gameshow Marathon, and Bullseye also got revived by Challenge off the back of that.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 21-09-2023

For me Strike It Lucky was the format to take to a full series - thought it suited Alan Carr well. Yes, fleshing it out to an hour was a problem especially as the original half hour was already padded out with chatter but that's just something you have to accept nowadays.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 21-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 09:30 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  For me Strike It Lucky was the format to take to a full series - thought it suited Alan Carr well. Yes, fleshing it out to an hour was a problem especially as the original half hour was already padded out with chatter but that's just something you have to accept nowadays.

Yes but that's a problem with the format, not a problem with the show itself. If there was no chatter the entire show would have been be over in less than ten minutes. You only have to look at the US version I posted a few pages back. Take all the commercial references and all the other superfluous crap you find in these US shows out, and what you have left is not very much at all.

Thames did make a few minor changes when they bought the format which mostly worked well (such as only having one person answer questions and one doing the screen striking, as opposed to the US show where they both did both things), but I suspect Thames already knew it needed a copious amount of padding to fit 25/26 minutes, and the easiest solution was probably find somebody like Barrymore who was very good at filling time, especially having been a Redcoat previously as that's part of that role.

Most of these gameshows though weren't intended to be stretched out to an hour, and the lazy option is just to repeat the same rounds again (if Bullseye ever returns properly and becomes 1hr, I'll bet you any amount of money all they'll do is repeat the first two rounds twice, then have a play off to go through to the prize board and assuming they keep the original end game, 101 in 6 darts (and not that silly end game incarnation used on the Epic Gameshow)).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 21-09-2023

It's a wonder why they haven't brought back 3-2-1 as it wouldn't have to be stretched out much.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 21-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 05:51 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It's a wonder why they haven't brought back 3-2-1 as it wouldn't have to be stretched out much.

3-2-1 was an hour long show when it first aired so nothing to stretch Wink

I suspect the long winded clues used on that would make Only Connect/University Challenge look like fodder by comparison.