Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 21-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 06:09 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  3-2-1 was an hour long show when it first aired so nothing to stretch Wink

I was going by YouTube lengths and couldn't be bothered checking if adverts were included.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Larry the Loafer - 21-09-2023

I was under the assumption the production of Strike It Lucky switched to LWT because Thames lost their franchise and LWT picked it up. But I only noticed a little while ago that Thames were still producing it up until 1994.

Assuming ITV didn't axe it, did Thames simply stop making it and refuse LWT the rights to the name when they picked it up a couple of years later? If ITV still wanted the show to continue, why would Thames not want to keep making it? They were effectively an indie after all and presumably wanted commissions.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 21-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 08:00 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I was under the assumption the production of Strike It Lucky switched to LWT because Thames lost their franchise and LWT picked it up. But I only noticed a little while ago that Thames were still producing it up until 1994.

Assuming ITV didn't axe it, did Thames simply stop making it and refuse LWT the rights to the name when they picked it up a couple of years later? If ITV still wanted the show to continue, why would Thames not want to keep making it? They were effectively an indie after all and presumably wanted commissions.

Yeah, Central co-produced SiL after 1993 (or at least presented it), until the original run ended, and then as discussed it was shoved through LWT and another company, for the rebrand in 1996, where it lived for another three years, and then as I think it was Brekkie who alluded to, the domination of the soap swallowed all the slots.

Not sure why SiL ended in 1994 or there was no series in 1995, but must be remembered 1995 was the year of all kinds of long running stuff on ITV having been scrapped, or if they survived had major changes - obvious example is Krypton Factor, and there were changes wanted to Bullseye as well - Andrew Wood has never disclosed them AFAIK, and neither did Jim Bowen - if he even knew about them, but as he died in 2018 we'll never know if he did or not.

Of course SiL wasn't the only thing Thames were doing - they probably made more money off The Bill and flogging that internationally than some gameshow they can knock out quickly via block recording over a two week period that will probably only ever be seen domestically.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 21-09-2023

When it became Strike It Rich, it was co-produced by Grundy, who were owned by the same parent company as Thames (Pearson), and Talbot Television who co-produced under Thames were also part of the Pearson/Fremantle conglomerate (I think Talbot got folded into Grundy), so I wonder if it was really little more than a bit of internal jiggery pokery (plus changing the franchisee who was responsible for presenting it to the network).

Fremantle own the rights to both versions of the show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 21-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 10:10 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Fremantle own the rights to both versions of the show.

Which incidentally IIRC is why Epic Gameshow used the formats it did, because that's the ones they owned, which is why they didn't do 3-2-1 for example,.

Although that argument falls down when it comes to Bullseye, though I suspect it the seeds were sown for that for the Gameshow Marathon years earlier.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 22-09-2023

I wish they'd had "new" shows every series for Epic Gameshow because once a show is featured once, the excitement isn't the same the second or even third time around and ratings suffer. ITV would argue about rights but viewers don't care (nor should they) about such intricacies and will switch off, which they did.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - agemame - 22-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 11:12 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Although that argument falls down when it comes to Bullseye, though I suspect it the seeds were sown for that for the Gameshow Marathon years earlier.

Bullseye is an interesting one, while Andrew Wood Enterprises seems to own the format (with the estate of Norman Vaughn as silent partners), the various treatments of it were done through independents of the time, namely Chatsworth and Talbot depending on the series.
In terms of deals here, they've always been happy to roll it out, as it helps the merchandise of AR dartboards and the like, so I can't imagine it's much of a struggle year on year.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - gottago - 22-09-2023

(21-09-2023, 11:12 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Which incidentally IIRC is why Epic Gameshow used the formats it did, because that's the ones they owned, which is why they didn't do 3-2-1 for example,.

Although that argument falls down when it comes to Bullseye, though I suspect it the seeds were sown for that for the Gameshow Marathon years earlier.

Fremantle optioned the rights for Bullseye which is owned by a small company with no production arm attached. This meant they could use it for Epic but could also try and sell it as its own series (which they did try to do). Option rights only last a few years so they may have expired by now if they didn't want to renew if there wasn't any interest in the show. A similar example is Catchphrase which is optioned by STV. 

Name That Tune was optioned by Banijay at the time (not sure who owns it) but they couldn't sell it in the UK. They essentially allowed it to be 'borrowed' by Fremantle for Epic as a sort of broadcast pilot. If there was interest in Name That Tune after appearing on Epic then it was Banijay's to sell as a series so it was in their interest, not that it worked out in the end!

Otherwise everything was owned outright by Fremantle. It's not cheap to license specific shows for a series like this, the above two are special cases, so that's why they couldn't expand much further beyond the Fremantle catalogue for Epic and how they ended up having to bring back Child's Play of all shows!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 22-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 12:24 PM)gottago Wrote:  Fremantle optioned the rights for Bullseye which is owned by a small company with no production arm attached. This meant they could use it for Epic but could also try and sell it as its own series (which they did try to do). Option rights only last a few years so they may have expired by now if they didn't want to renew if there wasn't any interest in the show. A similar example is Catchphrase which is optioned by STV. 

Name That Tune was optioned by Banijay at the time (not sure who owns it) but they couldn't sell it in the UK. They essentially allowed it to be 'borrowed' by Fremantle for Epic as a sort of broadcast pilot. If there was interest in Name That Tune after appearing on Epic then it was Banijay's to sell as a series so it was in their interest, not that it worked out in the end!

Otherwise everything was owned outright by Fremantle. It's not cheap to license specific shows for a series like this, the above two are special cases, so that's why they couldn't  expand much further beyond the Fremantle catalogue for Epic and how they ended up having to bring back Child's Play of all shows!
That’s really interesting. I think by Child’s Play they were definitely running thin on options. Do you know if they ever tried to take any of the shows made as part of Epic Gameshow into a series of their own right? I remember when Epic first started thinking they were using it as a series of pilots, possibly as vehicles for Alan Carr, but then none of them ended up moving forwards. Wonder if they intended on eventually taking one (or more) of them forwards, but ended up not doing so. 

With the amount of shows being revived at the moment it seems surprising there’s no interest in any of those formats.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JMT1985 - 22-09-2023

Strike it Lucky and Strike it Rich was perfect television - really a feel good formula - yes the format was crap, but the format was superfluous as it was all based on Michael Barrymore's interaction with the contestants, which would normally take up a third of the half hour show.

Remember Strike it Lucky without commercials was a 25 minute show, so basically 8 minutes was Michael chatting and having fun with the contestants.