Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 22-09-2023

I'm sure it could work as long as they could find a host who could patter with the constestants like Barrymore could. Though I still think it would have to be 30 minutes, no way could you stretch it to 60.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 22-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 02:34 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm sure it could work as long as they could find a host who could patter with the constestants like Barrymore could. Though I still think it would have to be 30 minutes, no way could you stretch it to 60.

You could get longer arches Big Grin

But otherwise, yes I think I said earlier Thames knew it had to be padded as it was, as otherwise there's only about 7 minutes of gameplay.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 22-09-2023

Suspect most gameshows come out at about 50% padding. Indeed it's arguably the padding more so than the gameplay that determines if they're a success in making sure that it doesn't feel like padding at all.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 22-09-2023

The amount of actual gameplay time on Strike It Lucky/Rich seems to get less and less as time goes by. I've also seen people elsewhere say that the hot spots were only there so the game could last longer, which is nonsense. They forced contestants to decide to bank prizes or risk losing them.

For quiz nerds, it wasn't a show to get much out of but it wasn't intended to be. I don't think it was padded because the chat was just right and crucial to the success of the show. Barrymore also knew when to goof around and when to get on with things unlike hosts today who don't know how to and rely on format points which supposedly deliver tension (but fail to). Stop, start, stop, start, zzz... which didn't happen with Strike It Lucky/Rich.

It couldn't be stretched to 60 minutes without obvious padding unless they repeated the first round and swapped who is on the screens and who is answering the questions but then how do you decide who goes through to the final round? Convert prizes to money so it's luck more than anything, or just money as prizes and the show loses its humour and charm? Maybe that was part of the changes intended for Bullseye? The emphasis on money and cutthroat ways of going about it can ruin shows.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 22-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 09:13 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  The amount of actual gameplay time on Strike It Lucky/Rich seems to get less and less as time goes by. I've also seen people elsewhere say that the hot spots were only there so the game could last longer, which is nonsense. They forced contestants to decide to bank prizes or risk losing them.

For quiz nerds, it wasn't a show to get much out of but it wasn't intended to be. I don't think it was padded because the chat was just right and crucial to the success of the show. Barrymore also knew when to goof around and when to get on with things unlike hosts today who don't know how to and rely on format points which supposedly deliver tension (but fail to). Stop, start, stop, start, zzz... which didn't happen with Strike It Lucky/Rich.

It couldn't be stretched to 60 minutes without obvious padding unless they repeated the first round and swapped who is on the screens and who is answering the questions but then how do you decide who goes through to the final round? Convert prizes to money so it's luck more than anything, or just money as prizes and the show loses its humour and charm? Maybe that was part of the changes intended for Bullseye? The emphasis on money and cutthroat ways of going about it can ruin shows.

What the changes were for Bullseye is anybody's guess; they've never been stated. My best guess would be some sort of format change; much like what happened with Krypton Factor, which by 1995 looked nothing like it had in 1993. But that was its ultimate downfall. It probably speaks volumes that when Challenge picked up the revivial in 2006 it was (by and large) the same format as the original.

The Hot Spots replaced the Bandit in the original format of Strike It Rich, so that concept wasn't new, it was in the original (just done in a less silly way over here). Otherwise you'd just have four questions every time and shoot across the board in next to no time with absolutely no jeopardy at all.

Chat in earlier series (particularly the first series of SiL) seems a bit stilted; but this can probably be attributed to Barrymore still figuring out how best to handle this new vehicle.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 22-09-2023

I think people are a bit too dismissive of the gameplay in Strike it Lucky - there was a bit of strategy involved with the 2/3/4 choice then the banking of prizes, even if that was down to luck. The questions were nicely framed too and even now stand out as a fairly unique structure.

If it went to full series the best we could probably hope for is a 45 minutes slot (and those 45 minute eps of Catchphrase have proven quite useful schedule filler for ITV in the last year). Epic Gameshow did try to flesh it out with an additional middle round with two teams playing head to head - think they had two slightly different formats, neither of which particularly worked. Perhaps if it was fleshed out to an hour having a winner stays on format with games not fixed to the length of the show would work, with increasing cash prizes for the number of end games you complete.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 22-09-2023

Has Ant & Dec's Limitless Win been commissioned for an extra long series next year? As Applause Store is listing 13 recording sessions currently. Or are they recording 2 series in one fell swoop for 2024 & 2025. It seems like Ant & Dec want an extended break from TV commitments if this is the case with no SNT after next year.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 22-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 10:27 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Has Ant & Dec's Limitless Win been commissioned for an extra long series next year? As Applause Store is listing 13 recording sessions currently. Or are they recording 2 series in one fell swoop for 2024 & 2025. It seems like Ant & Dec want an extended break from TV commitments if this is the case with no SNT after next year.

Two series are being recorded, I don’t know if this means that more episodes are being aired next year (as I believe is the case for The 1% Club), or if they’re taking a longer break.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 22-09-2023

Olly Murs axed from The Voice.

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/olly-murs-shocked-gutted-hes-31007823 

I don't see what difference changing the judging panel will make to the show's fortunes. Understandable why ITV want to keep a show that can fill two hours on a Saturday night and The Voice will do that but there's other more profitable ways of achieving that with a singing show which doesn't involve bringing back X Factor.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JamieMurph25 - 24-09-2023

Not sure if anyone watched episode 2 of 'Alan Carr's Picture Slam' on BBC One this evening (September 23rd), but one of the pictures will be great for TV nostalgia fans, it featured the logo for Granada Television (1990's era), and the couple who were playing the round, didn't know it (thought it was a logo for a Korean conglomerate, LG).