Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Larry the Loafer - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 12:24 AM)JamieMurph25 Wrote:  Not sure if anyone watched episode 2 of 'Alan Carr's Picture Slam' on BBC One this evening (September 23rd), but one of the pictures will be great for TV nostalgia fans, it featured the logo for Granada Television (1990's era), and the couple who were playing the round, didn't know it (thought it was a logo for a Korean conglomerate, LG).

Pleasantly surprised to see it pop up, though not entirely surprised it wasn't correctly guessed. You'd most definitely have to be a certain age or a big old press geek to recognise it, especially as it's been out of action for twenty something years.

Almost as satisfying as the Catchpoint round where the contestants had to put the BBC One idents in chronological order  Big Grin

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Larry the Loafer - 24-09-2023

And for a bonus reference to stuff we like, Richard Madeley appeared on The Wheel and referred to an answer as Yorkshire Television instead of Yorkshire Terrier. We're being spoiled this evening!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 24-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 11:44 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Olly Murs axed from The Voice.

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/olly-murs-shocked-gutted-hes-31007823 

I don't see what difference changing the judging panel will make to the show's fortunes. Understandable why ITV want to keep a show that can fill two hours on a Saturday night and The Voice will do that but there's other more profitable ways of achieving that with a singing show which doesn't involve bringing back X Factor.

And confusingly, he’ll be in the new series that launches in a couple of months before departing.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 24-09-2023

(22-09-2023, 10:37 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Two series are being recorded, I don’t know if this means that more episodes are being aired next year (as I believe is the case for The 1% Club), or if they’re taking a longer break.
Worth remembering next year for the first time in two years ITV will have a full autumn to schedule due to no World Cups so I suspect like The 1% Club is that episodes will be split into two runs.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 12:24 AM)JamieMurph25 Wrote:  Not sure if anyone watched episode 2 of 'Alan Carr's Picture Slam' on BBC One this evening (September 23rd)
I did. Thank you for asking.
The second episode still had a few moments where the production team were slow at operating the graphics.

The decision to have Carr ask a question for every picture seems like something that should have been dropped early in development too. When a picture of Sir Cliff Richard appears it doesn't require Alan Carr to say "Name this singer".

The question is obvious, it's the same question everything, "Can you please say out loud the principle subject of this image?". On at least one occasion a contest had already answered correctly before Carr had got the question out and the graphics didn't move on until the contestant repeated the answer and Alan Carr said "Yes". Makes it seem very slow at times.

Disallowing the answer "Melanie Chisholm" when they wanted "Melanie C" seemed like an instance of a poorly prepared question. The justification was that the round was 'Bodies of Water' so the c/sea homophone was required. Just use Billy Ocean next time. Should I expect to see a 'Household Pets' round with a picture of Yusuf Islam before the end of the series?

The last point to note is that during the final, the clock jumped from 19 seconds back up to 21. I couldn't even speculate as to why, the clock, the board and the contestants were all in vision at the time, there didn't appear to be an edit at that point.

None of these things affected the game on this occasion but it all seems very sloppy for a BBC One Saturday night show.

I'll probably watch episode 3 though.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 25-09-2023

Hey, Richard Osman's House of Games returned today. They are still more spread out than in the early series but not as spread out as in the socially distanced series. This must now be the new norm that people spoke about in  2020 and 2021. You do actually see them swap seats in Round 2 again now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001qwxg 

It's worth mentioning too, even just for the sake of future historians, that in the episode of Only Connect shown last week, Victoria Coren Mitchell wore a mask. Not a COVID mask, a different kind of mask. She didn't say why. I don't want to speculate about a presenters medical issues but it's probably to hide acne. It did seem to hinder peripheral vision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001qp9g 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 25-09-2023

I presume the House of Games spacing is a little bit like the judges sitting at their own desks on Strictly, or the Alex/Josh/Guests spacing on The Last Leg - they've just decided that it actually works better or looks nicer than the pre-Covid way.

On Only Connect, wasn't it something to do with her running joke about murder mystery novels at the start of the episode? I'll be honest, I must've zoned out/didn't take full note of the reason either.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 25-09-2023

I wouldn't read much into what Coren-Mitchell is wearing (or not wearing as the case may be), its usually done for a joke.

One of the Christmas specials recently she spent the whole episode dressed up as a snowflake in a costume that looked painful to work in...  The mask on last week's episodes wasn't mentioned but there is a running joke about murder mystery novels in the opening spiel, so the mask was part of that...

However there was an interesting TV related question that popped up on today's episode...
[Image: wN1A982.png]
Answers follow shortly....

These are world record attempts that were broadcast.

Flintoff did that on Sport Relief and managed to hit a Bullseye from a distance of 5m (and some other things).
Grimshaw did that on Radio 1 and then found out he was beaten by somebody else in another studio...
The kissing happened on Good Morning Britain (1987) - longest screen kiss and a previous attempt was interrupted by something else.
Osman did the feat on a special episode of Pointless, apparently.

If you're that fussed it turns out the kiss between Gyles Brandreth and Cheryl Baker was uploaded to the TV-am archive YouTube channel years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQK0EzNx7y4 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 06:57 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  On Only Connect, wasn't it something to do with her running joke about murder mystery novels at the start of the episode? I'll be honest, I must've zoned out/didn't take full note of the reason either.

No, this is wrong. I watched the episode using 100% concentration and I can confirm that a reason for the mask was not stated. There was no reference to the mask at all, despite the fact she appeared to be wearing it throughout the whole episode.

I did think at first that perhaps someone had accidentally routed BBC Two via one of those apps that applies a mask filter but Amol Rajan was not wearing a mask on University Challenge straight afterwards and if it was a routing error, then the mistake should not be present on the BBC iPlayer version. I'm inclined to believe that she was actually wearing a mask during the recording and no CGI was involved at all.

I already mentioned University Challenge, so I'll mention Mastermind too. There was a gentlemen on the show last week, George Twigg, who claims to have been on Mastermind, Only Connect and University Challenge. He also claimed this is called the Quizzy Monday Hat-trick. Is that a real thing? Did he really achieve it? How common is that? Is he unique?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001qp90 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 09:21 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I wouldn't read much into what Coren-Mitchell is wearing (or not wearing as the case may be), its usually done for a joke.

One of the Christmas specials recently she spent the whole episode dressed up as a snowflake in a costume that looked painful to work in...
Yeah, an odd costume now and again for Victoria is par for the course in a series of Only Connect. Christmas specials have more frequent costumes (a traditional Welsh dress and a massive heart for a Valentine's special come to mind) but the standard episodes have also featured a one-off not explained costume change. These below are some examples from the last two years; the glasses and wig were suggested to be a part of her appearance on Taskmaster but nothing was ever alluded to on either show.

[Image: 230114826_264873558433171_2738251943209836409_n.png]
[Image: 242431162_2962601557339594_2457119772052088154_n.png]
[Image: 334710602_440752358234775_4415408480560985924_n.png]

Of course, University Challenge has also experienced a costume change for the host, albeit very breifly in Christmas 2020.
[Image: EOps8wHWAAEkzlr?format=webp&name=small]