Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 03:02 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Wouldn’t usually be an issue but it seemed a bit strange having episodes marked as new asking questions “as of the 2020/21 football season” etc.

I guess that’s just unlucky because no other ITV Daytime quiz needs to clarify such things.

I think its because they have one eye on repeats in future years on some satellite channel somewhere, which is an attempt to future proof the questions. Its not unique to Tenable, the whole "as of <insert year here>" thing started a good few years ago now across most quiz shows.

You only have to watch the likes of Bullseye when they come out with questions like "Who is the current Foreign Secretary?" which transforms it from a current affairs question into a history question mixed with a bit of guesswork as to who was most likely to be in post at whatever time in the 1980/1990s I think this was made in.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 27-09-2023

(13-09-2023, 02:33 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The Pyramid Game is again being tried over here, filming on the 25th.

https://www.sroaudiences.com/shows.asp 

Hosted by Jane McDonald apparently.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 07:59 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I think its because they have one eye on repeats in future years on some satellite channel somewhere, which is an attempt to future proof the questions.  Its not unique to Tenable, the whole "as of <insert year here>" thing started a good few years ago now across most quiz shows.

You only have to watch the likes of Bullseye when they come out with questions like "Who is the current Foreign Secretary?" which transforms it from a current affairs question into a history question mixed with a bit of guesswork as to who was most likely to be in post at whatever time in the 1980/1990s  I think this was made in.
Yeah, which currently is 1987. That Affairs category is definitely not futureproof! Of course when Bullseye was made, they probably only expected it to air once on ITV. Challenge wasn't a thing until 1997.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 10:33 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, which currently is 1987. That Affairs category is definitely not futureproof! Of course when Bullseye was made, they probably only expected it to air once on ITV. Challenge wasn't a thing until 1997.

Wasn't just Affairs, that sort of thing I referred to happens in other categories as well on occasion.

I think it was stated that the hosts of other quiz shows that were popular in the 1970s, 1980s and to an extent the 1990s almost certainly get little if anything in repeat fees. Gordon Burns confirmed this that despite the amount Flextech/Virgin/Sky (and ITV) raked in from sales and repeats of Krypton Factor over the years, he literally gets sod all from that because IIRC the programme was only intended for one, maybe two airings at the time and probably would never be seen again.

Not sure if that's still the case these days, though I suppose Bradley Walsh doesn't really need any more money from the amount of time Challenge airs The Chase - that and the ITVX Fast channel for it...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 27-09-2023

Re. shows not being futureproof, culture was different back then when everything didn't have to be signposted and there wasn't the same expectation that viewers would kick up a storm if a question was out of date as people would use their common sense to work out that something was correct at the time the show was recorded.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - rick - 28-09-2023

I wrote to Richard O'Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole in the early 00's and they both sent me lovely replies, and Ed mentioned in his that he sadly gets nothing in the form of repeat fees from the (at the time) constant Challenge repeats.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 28-09-2023

(28-09-2023, 07:50 PM)rick Wrote:  I wrote to Richard O'Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole in the early 00's and they both sent me lovely replies, and Ed mentioned in his that he sadly gets nothing in the form of repeat fees from the (at the time) constant Challenge repeats.

Suppose its a shame and a blessing they didn't go for a % of revenue of sales, like you sometimes used to see with film actors (First-dollar gross the practice was called). If you play your cards right with that you can make significantly more money than you would have done just being paid for the job in the first place.

But of course TV is done on significantly cheaper budgets and at a far quicker turnaround, so its probably par for the course you just get a wodge of money at the time with no further reimbursement and if it gets aired to death years later, that's tough.

I dare say that applies to the bulk of programming (not just gameshows) for the UK in the 20th century at least.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 28-09-2023

(28-09-2023, 08:36 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Suppose its a shame and a blessing they didn't go for a % of revenue of sales, like you sometimes used to see with film actors (First-dollar gross the practice was called). 

I think only the top, top stars with lots of clout are ever offered that.

Quite a few people get offered a share of the "net profits", but because of all the jiggery pokery that's done that means even most of the biggest blockbusters are shown supposedly to lose tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars on paper, most of those people never see a penny.

Of course, it's not the reality, just a load of moving money between subsidiaries as a tax dodge and way to not to pay people money (then they can't be made to pay taxes and royalties on profits that on paper don't exist), but it means loads of people who expected to be quids in with their agreed share of "profits" from major blockbuster movies have got nothing.

There was an internal Warner Brothers document that leaked a few years back showing how one of the Harry Potter films supposedly lost more than the film's actual budget despite grossing around 6 times its budget at the box office, basically down to Warner Brothers shifting hundreds of millions of dollars between different parts of the company , it's all very shady!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 29-09-2023

That sounds like fraud. Shouldn't the relevant tax authorities be prosecuting them?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 03-10-2023

Sitting on a Fortune axed. Was always surprised that this got a second series in the first place.