Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 26-10-2023

I just don't think the musical has the appeal of similar shows in the past and though people may know the songs they don't know the characters. I've always thought Mamma Mia was incredibly overrated.

Not sure when the winners are supposed to start in the show but feel this would be better in the Spring, either replacing Starstruck or airing on Sundays once DoI is done.

ITV also now have a habit of not airing much in the Sumner then letting shows crash and burn against Strictly when even if they didn't rate much better a few weeks earlier they'd probably top the night rather than be a distant second to Strictly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 26-10-2023

Yes I had the same thought and expected them to start in the musical in the new year? Hence why they’ve had to air it this side of Christmas.

Surely they have a rough idea of what slot they’d air stuff in when they commission it? So I’m not sure why it’s ended up in such a poor position.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t try something else like this on Sundays once DOI finishes their series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 26-10-2023

Yes - surprised they've never flesh All Star Musicals into a 6 part elimination format.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 26-10-2023

(26-10-2023, 06:13 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I'm not sure where else you put it. I mean Saturday is a no because it will get buried by Strictly and then The Voice is coming back next week.

People are so over singing shows, yet ITV's answer is to create more. I don't think a reboot of X Factor is the answer either.
If it had even aired an hour earlier i.e. not against Planet Earth III, it would've probably done much better. The problem isn't the day, it's the specific timeslot.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 26-10-2023

(26-10-2023, 10:04 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  If it had even aired an hour earlier i.e. not against Planet Earth III, it would've probably done much better. The problem isn't the day, it's the specific timeslot.

I don't think they've commissioned that show to put it out at 5pm.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 27-10-2023

It just 'lacks' something compared to the Graham Norton / ALW vehicles from the BBC days

If they were so desperate to shove Alan Carr in it as a bit of an apology for BGT then stick him in the host role instead of Zoe Ball, not make him a judge simply because (and I quote) 'I've been on more stages than you've had hot dinners'

There looks to be a live final on 10th December for it

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 27-10-2023

(26-10-2023, 11:20 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I don't think they've commissioned that show to put it out at 5pm.

It's probably commissioned for ITVX first and foremost.  I think the nature of the show would probably have suited stripped scheduling more with a live final at the weekend.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 29-10-2023

I think Mamma Mia would have done better at 8pm, although the 75/90 minute running time makes that a bit awkward. They’ve clearly tried to go for the Dancing on Ice slot but it doesn’t really work for a new show and if anything just shows how difficult that slot is and why they keep DOI around.

I wonder if they were expecting Planet Earth at 8pm and been caught by surprise? Although being as low as 1.6m suggests the issue extends beyond the slot. I think it’s probably just too musical theatre and I don’t think that appeals to a big ITV audience. All Star Musicals did okay but celebrity shows usually do find it easier to attract an audience, none of the casting search shows ITV have tried have ever worked.

Although I’m not sure what the long term strategy here was. The whole format and setting is based so strongly on Mamma Mia that repeating the format for a different musical next year doesn’t really work, and surely they can’t cast the same roles every year?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 29-10-2023

I don't think they really need to worry about series 2. I think it would be a weaker show if it was a studio format

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 29-10-2023

I'm not sure there was any long-term plan for Mamma Mia, just something instead of ITV commissioning another quiz show. I think if there was a possibility of doing a multi series format but in a similar vein they could have tried Rock of Ages and it would also be different to what there currently is.

You also have to wonder if there is a temptation to kick the can along until an X Factor revival, the 20th anniversary being next year.