Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - AaronLancs - 16-11-2023

(16-11-2023, 01:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Production of Bridge of Lies has gone out to tender.  It was produced by STV Productions but guessing it's not their format.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/top-indies-set-to-tussle-for-bbc-daytime-quiz/5187936.article?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1700134366 

Just checked out quickly the end of an episode on YouTube as UK Gameshows doesn't give inventor details and how odd!? It mentions on the second credits 'slide' the following:

An STV Studios Format

Developed by
JOSEPHINE BRASSEY
DORSA NAM

So I wonder what the logic and reason is for farming out an STV show to another production company? Hmmm.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 16-11-2023

(16-11-2023, 09:24 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  There is often the odd bad question in gameshows.  I don't think many would say that is one of them. 

I do wonder what effect erroneous questions, or more importantly answers, have on the population at large. There have been numerous studies on fake news and social media posts but has anyone ever conducted a study in to the effects of wrong answers given as correct on gameshows?

A colleague tells me that a contestant (gender unspecified) on Tipping Point this week was asked the question, "Which cartoon character is known for the catchphrase 'Yabba Dabba Do!'?" The contestant apparently answered incorrectly "Yogi Bear".

It makes you wonder if that contestant had seen the famous incident when Neil Buchanan gave that as a correct answer to a very similar question in a 20th century episode of Fun House and had subconsciously carried that with them for all these years.

I'm sure the contestant would know that the answer they gave was incorrect if they were given the chance to think about it and maybe they would even be able to conjure up the correct answer, but in the moment, the stress of being in a TV studio with Ben Sheppard saying stuff at you, maybe you revert to a child like state and the only thing you remember is the trusted face of Neil Buchanan telling you that Yogi Bear is famous for saying "Yabba Dabba Do!" when you were 10 years old.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - gottago - 16-11-2023

(16-11-2023, 01:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Production of Bridge of Lies has gone out to tender.  It was produced by STV Productions but guessing it's not their format.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/top-indies-set-to-tussle-for-bbc-daytime-quiz/5187936.article?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1700134366 

No there's a tender for new quiz show ideas and Bridge of Lies company STV are bidding for it. They just needed an excuse for an image for the article so used that and made STV the focus as they won the last tender with Bridge of Lies being the resulting programme.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 16-11-2023

(16-11-2023, 08:45 PM)gottago Wrote:  No there's a tender for new quiz show ideas and Bridge of Lies company STV are bidding for it. They just needed an excuse for an image for the article so used that and made STV the focus as they won the last tender with Bridge of Lies being the resulting programme.

Ah, the problem with not paying Broadcasts ridiculous price to read below the line.  That makes more sense.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 16-11-2023

(16-11-2023, 09:10 AM)Nobby Wrote:  When the history books are written, it must surely be noted that while Joel Dommett and Alan Carr were fighting to make identifying pictures a success, Roman Kemp snuck in and quietly did it in daytime. And it wasn't even his main gimmick!

The 21st Century gameshow Ask the Family ("Identify this object from an unusual angle") should also get a mention in a footnote.

What about Catchphrase though? Does it fall within the remit that I just made up?

Have I Got News For You? The picture spin quiz round?

ZZZap!? The question mark panel?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 20-11-2023

Is there any reason The Chase: The Bloopers is airing at 3PM on ITV today, rather than Lingo? I initially thought it was an error of some sorts in the schedules, but it appears not. Lingo is scheduled to air at 3pm the rest of the week.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 20-11-2023

Somebody had a weird idea that it would give Deal or No Deal a boost?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 20-11-2023

(20-11-2023, 04:11 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Is there any reason The Chase: The Bloopers is airing at 3PM on ITV today, rather than Lingo? I initially thought it was an error of some sorts in the schedules, but it appears not. Lingo is scheduled to air at 3pm the rest of the week.
The Radio Times website has it the other way around! Apparently The Chase itself was used as the lead in, and the Bloopers show aired in the 5pm slot. So I think eyeTV is on the money.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 20-11-2023

(20-11-2023, 07:01 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  The Radio Times website has it the other way around! Apparently The Chase itself was used as the lead in, and the Bloopers show aired in the 5pm slot. So I think eyeTV is on the money.
It was still that way round on Digiguide too - but it seems like it did air with The Chase as normal at 5pm?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 20-11-2023

(20-11-2023, 07:01 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  The Radio Times website has it the other way around! Apparently The Chase itself was used as the lead in, and the Bloopers show aired in the 5pm slot. So I think eyeTV is on the money.

Was defo the Bloopers at 3pm and a new episode of The Chase at 5pm.

Surprised really they didn't stick Tipping Point repeats at 3pm instead of Lingo reruns.  Other than for sporting preemptions think it must be it's first break since we'll before covid.