Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 10-01-2023

SL VRG BLT
C H LKH LDR S

Big Grin

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 10-01-2023

Something I've always wondered with Tipping Point is if you get a mystery prize, do you get it straight away or do you have to wait until the programme has aired?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 05:23 PM)XIII Wrote:  Something I've always wondered with Tipping Point is if you get a mystery prize, do you get it straight away or do you have to wait until the programme has aired?

This suggests for Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow (Bullseye) in 2020:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/bullseye-winners-cashed-new-car-4305735  Wrote:They let us take some of the prizes home on the night, like the TV and the hostess trolley. We divided stuff between us as best we could. We won deliveries of flowers, and I had the last one of those this month.

“Because we are mother and son, not a couple, we couldn’t share the car. They put us in touch with Mini in London and they offered to give us the cash equivalent instead of the car, which was £12,000

Of course some shows we now know they said you'd win this that and the other and you got the cash instead.  Savvy contestants would often get a prize and flog it (as happened with a couple who won a car on 80s Bullseye, flogged it and split the cash) and be better off for it.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 10-01-2023

On Family Fortunes, the bonus prize for finding five top answers in the end game used to be a car or a holiday. Most families went for the car, presumably because they could sell it after the show and/or there were issues with who could go on the holiday.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 10-01-2023

I have read from contestants on Strike It Lucky that they only ever got the cash equivalent rather than the actual prize.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 09:06 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  On Family Fortunes, the bonus prize for finding five top answers in the end game used to be a car or a holiday. Most families went for the car, presumably because they could sell it after the show and/or there were issues with who could go on the holiday.

That was a later addition IIRC to the format. They never used to do that, it was added at some point in the 1990s. Prior to that it was just win £3k or whatever was on offer. It used to roll over as well, at least it did in Bob Monkhouse's day up to the ceiling figure of £3k (£1k per show was it?) and there it stood until somebody won it.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 11-01-2023

Of course, nowadays it's £10k just for getting the required points, and £30k for getting the five top answers. I assume it changed to that when Vernon Kay's version started?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 11-01-2023

Five figure sums are the very modern incarnation, but the top five answers back "in the day" as it were would have won you the car. Just getting the 200 points gave you whatever the jackpot was (and of course later became the option of a car or the holiday instead of the cash, and of course 99% of them went for the former, probably for reasons already mentioned)

Losing wise, well in the Les Dennis era you just got whatever total you already had plus double whatever you managed to score. Think it was the same in the earlier eras too.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 12-01-2023

1.5m for Next Level Chef last night. Ouch.

Not surprising though as nasty, shouty, overly produced formats don't tend to work in the UK.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Spencer - 12-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 05:23 PM)XIII Wrote:  Something I've always wondered with Tipping Point is if you get a mystery prize, do you get it straight away or do you have to wait until the programme has aired?

I was given the contact details of the prize sponsor on my way out of the studios, and was able to claim it as soon as I wanted. Big Grin