Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Spencer - 25-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 10:49 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I thought the Family Channel branding had been ditched by the time the channel morphed in to Challenge TV?
I remember, for some reason, they kept the ‘Family Late’ branding for a while, despite the change to Challenge TV.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 26-11-2023

Wasn't that because the Family Late block had non-gameshow programming?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - nwtv2003 - 26-11-2023

Family Late was initially a contractual thing, it was introduced when Challenge TV began and was used between 12:30 and 5:00am to burn off Family Channel programming, which from memory was mostly made for TV films and other short series. When that ended in August/September 1998, they ran normal Challenge programming in the slot before disposing of the brand shortly afterwards, certainly no later than 1999.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - KelpiePK93 - 26-11-2023

(24-11-2023, 01:41 AM)JamieMurph25 Wrote:  I mean, I'm curious if Graham Norton has an assistant to reveal the letters on the puzzle (like in various versions of 'Wheel of Fortune' in the past), or just Graham Norton on his own.

Surely will have a co-host for letters board you would think. I was thinking about it watching the old ones... Will we have the 'Steve Hamilton' role? Would need the gravitas he had. Thought John Michie would be a great voice fit and a similar voice.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 09:42 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Family Late was initially a contractual thing, it was introduced when Challenge TV began and was used between 12:30 and 5:00am to burn off Family Channel programming, which from memory was mostly made for TV films and other short series. When that ended in August/September 1998, they ran normal Challenge programming in the slot before disposing of the brand shortly afterwards, certainly no later than 1999.

And opposite to that I recall The Family Channel had already gone very hard with game shows in their last months before rebranding as Challenge TV with most other programming phased out. They already has live continuity with Andy Crane. It may only have been at weekends though “Family Challenge Weekend” is what I believe they called it

harshy - harshy - 26-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 10:49 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I thought the Family Channel branding had been ditched by the time the channel morphed in to Challenge TV?

I loved the Family Channel it had the right blend of programming, great idents, decent live continuity and it felt like TVS were still alive thanks to them showing the back catalogue although it did feel strange time watching repeats of Motormouth years later.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 12:42 PM)KelpiePK93 Wrote:  Surely will have a co-host for letters board you would think.  I was thinking about it watching the old ones...  Will we have the 'Steve Hamilton' role?    Would need the gravitas he had. Thought John Michie would be a great voice fit and a similar voice.

Not really needed as the board now can just be screens that light themselves up.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 06:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not really needed as the board now can just be screens that light themselves up.

It's not about what is needed or not. It's about what makes better television. The wheel itself is not needed, they can just randomly select an outcome and show it on a screen but the programme would be poorer for it.

Give Graham Norton a friend and it will probably be as better programme than if he only had the contestants to talk to.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 06:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not really needed as the board now can just be screens that light themselves up.

And Countdown could just be a computer ramdomly picking letters and numbers rather than needing Rachel to physically pick tiles, but it's about what makes good TV and works for viewers.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 26-11-2023

Oh absolutely, and the person in that role in the 90s was more of a co-host rather than just a gameshow assistant. I don't think it's needed but as you both say it could lift the show slightly.