Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 06-12-2023

The idea they couldn’t think of a celebrity to take up the role and that’s why they didn’t use one is ridiculous. There are literally endless possibilities.

They presumably thought Graham Norton, who doesn’t normally do gameshows was a big enough name to carry the show himself. The idea of going for a glamorous female assistant is a bit old fashioned these days which someone like Graham could be uncomfortable with and the alternative would be a big character that could potentially overshadow the big name host, is probably the reason they didn’t go for it.

Of course in the US the shows been on continuously, so they’ve never had to reset and present it as something new.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 12:34 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. I think it’s nice to see some rapport between co-hosts on a show like that. Some people think it’s outdated, but it’s just modelling at the end of the day. And The US still has Vanna. 

I guess the reason is that they couldn’t think of a “celebrity” to be the assisting, forgetting that the likes of Angela Ekaette or Carol Smilie weren’t celebrities at the time of landing these gigs. It’s another one of those cases of TV being too afraid to take risks on an unknown.

I won't be surprised if when Vanna leaves, she isn't replaced. They probably don't want the negative publicity of firing her, especially since she's so long serving. They even kept her on with the recent announcement of a new main host. The UK version doesn't have that problem as the show is relaunching after about 20 years off air.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 06-12-2023

It would be interesting to know if the the pilot which Alison Hammond presented had an assistant, and if so, who?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 06-12-2023

If they did, it was probably just a producer. That's how Richard Osman got his on-screen job on Pointless.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 06-12-2023

Amongst other things ITV’s Q1 highlights pack issued today confirms that Millionaire is finally returning. I believe they’ve got about 16 episodes in the can so enough for two ‘series’ to air during the year.

Suspect they pushed it back to wait for the Clarkson furore to die down. Doesn’t seem like they’re cutting ties with him though, Broadcast reported a couple of weeks back that ITV (and other broadcasters) are in talks to buy FTA rights to Clarkson’s Farm.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 06-12-2023

It will be great to get Millionaire with Clarkson back on the TV after an absent 2023. ITV said the reason for many of the shows being displaced to 2024 including WWTBAM & The Jonathan Ross Show, was due to the rugby taking up too many weekends' broadcasting time - which is understandable.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 09-12-2023

So the ITV daytime line up is Riddiculous, Jeopardy and The Chase from the first week of Jan, with repeats of Celebrity Catchphrase at 2pm for that week at least too.

Looking at the Christmas schedules doesn't look like there is any new Christmas episode of The Chase this year, having often done one on Christmas Day and Boxing Day in recent years.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 09-12-2023

So from now on Jeopardy, Deal or No Deal, and Tipping Point will be on rotation the same way as Lingo, Tenable, and Riddiculous?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 09-12-2023

Jeopardy will probably return but I think Riddiculous will be lucky to get a third series. Depending on how much faith ITV have in extending Deal Or No Deal, another show could be phased out.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 09-12-2023

My gut feeling is Jeopardy won't get beyond a first series either but I probably said that about Tipping Point and The Chase too.