Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 24-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 12:04 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Talking of which on the other side of the world it's just been announced Tipping Point Australia will get a sneak-peak preview on Christmas Eve at 7pm ahead of it's premiere in a daily slot after the Australian Open in January. It'll take much the same format but the ads tease a new end game.

Just to update on this (via Mediaspy Forums) that the format is essentially the same with some tweaks for time - so no penalty pot question in round one, 30 seconds rather than 45 seconds for questions in round 2 and 2 questions each rather than 3 questions each in round 3.

They've also stripped one category out of the jackpot round - whilst the new end game is just a twist to the trade off where if you opt for three counters you play for the regular jackpot of $20k, two counters is playing for that and a holiday and one counter is for $40k.

Does seems a bit of a flaw though that essentially if you fail at the jackpot round you get the chance to play for a bigger prize.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 26-12-2023

That's TV reassuringly venturing into gameshow territory once again - after fairly recently screening the first 2 series of Through the Keyhole, they are now showing Blankety Blank with the Boxing Day edition from 1981.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 27-12-2023

Interesting article here about some gameshow winners:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/23/i-won-a-conservatory-i-didnt-even-own-a-house-tv-gameshow-winners-on-what-happened-next 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 27-12-2023

"You've won a car!"
"I can't drive!"
"Oh... well we'll sort out some driving lessons as well then!"

is how I think Bruce Forsyth reacted when that happened on Price is Right.

If you win money, more freedom as to what you do with it. All very well winning a speedboat on Bullseye if you live on the 7th floor of a tower block in Wolverhampton, where the frig are you going to store that? I always wondered what happened if you live halfway up a tower block and win some totally inappropriate prize like a conservatory or something, though from that article it seems to imply you've won it, not our problem if you can't use it or have any room for it.

There was the story of two blokes who won a car on Bullseye. They flogged it, split the difference and were better off for it as, for some reason I can't recall now, when they sold it they got more than the cash value of the car would have been in the first place had Bully just waved a cheque at them.

Of course its worse in America because you have to hand over something obscene like 40% of everything you win (or its cash equivalent) to Uncle Sam, and I think it was Oprah Winfrey who gave a car to every member of the audience on a show of hers once, and that screwed up everybody's tax return.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 27-12-2023

Don't they usually give constestants the option of a cash equivalent in case they don't want/can't take the prize? Not that it's ever said on screen of course.

In fact I read from someone who'd been on Strike It Lucky in the 90s who said all they actually got was cash. Even though on the screen it would say something like a bottle of champagne or a weekend break, they'd only be given the money said prize was worth, and not the prize itself.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 27-12-2023

At least with gameshows in the past there was some fun or debate that could be had with non cash prizes. With just money there isn't any of that. I'm sure there was an episode of Big Break where a ball being potted in the final round was avoided so that the contestant could take home a better prize. Nowadays, there would be legal action over that sort of thing and contestants would be suing production companies for the distress caused over "crap" prizes.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 27-12-2023

Blankety Blank still play that up with the second and third prize being cash and then the top prize often being somewhat niche.

Sometimes in gameshows the cash alternative can be taken instead - or even is given rather with the "prize" won on screen mot actually available to the winner.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 27-12-2023

A car can easily be sold for cash if you can't or don't drive.

I think some of the spot prizes on Tipping Point and Family Fortunes probably can't be exchanged for money but TBH if you get knocked out then at least you have something rather going home empty handed.

The thrill of going on a gameshow is really getting on in the first place, if you win then that's a bonus.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 28-12-2023

Oh yeah, years ago you just went on a gameshow for the experience and if you come away with a washing machine or something, then well done. Some people did make a career out of going on gameshows but that was the exception rather than the rule.

These days its probably expected you'll win a horse just by turning up.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RDJ - 29-12-2023

Promo for Wheel of Fortune was just shown. Seems as if they’re going full US version and they’re even using their music.

Think the same is happening with Jeopardy! also.