Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 31-12-2023

In other news, Gladiators begins on Saturday 13th January at 5.50pm. Therefore avoiding a clash with The Masked Singer and up against WOF instead.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bilky asko - 31-12-2023

(31-12-2023, 12:37 PM)rick Wrote:  The audience clapping as the wheel was spun happened for most/all of Nicky Campbell's run. I think it had stopped by the time we got to Bradley.

The audience only properly cheered if it landed on 1000 or one of the prize tokens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWs2SdZSkUM 

The above episode is an oddly edited one. Bradley doesn't mention that there's an apostrophe in the answer but it's edited in and looks clunky. Then an editing mistake with a shot of the board with Jenny back on the wrong side and the apostrophe covered up again, then a contestant unveils the cash pot letter, there's no sound effect to signify this, the contestant doesn't even seem to understand what's happening and just plays on rather than guesses the puzzle. Very strange.

There's also an edit after the mention of a Chinese rug at 4:22, which I think we can all guess as to the reason why...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 31-12-2023

(31-12-2023, 01:09 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Sheesh. First episode isn't even out yet, how can they judge it just based on the trailer?
The trailer makes the show look incredibly dull.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 31-12-2023

(31-12-2023, 12:37 PM)rick Wrote:  The above episode is an oddly edited one. Bradley doesn't mention that there's an apostrophe in the answer but it's edited in and looks clunky. Then an editing mistake with a shot of the board with Jenny back on the wrong side and the apostrophe covered up again, then a contestant unveils the cash pot letter, there's no sound effect to signify this, the contestant doesn't even seem to understand what's happening and just plays on rather than guesses the puzzle. Very strange.

Are you sure Challenge in some previous guise hasn't butchered that? Under previous ownership there were all kinds of weird and wonderful edits to all kinds of things for no apparent reason. If this happened towards the end of an episode where a cue dot would be present, that appears to vanish and then reappear around the edits.

Under Sky ownership they only really now edit where they absolutely need to, such as we saw with Series 1 of Millionaire where they had to remake the credits for reasons previously discussed.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - rick - 31-12-2023

Doesn't look like a Sky edit, you wouldn't edit in Bradley looking off to the side, or Jenny staring at Brad becuase he hasn't stopped the game when the cash letter has been revealed, or the "there's an apostrophe in there" that was thrown in randomly as Brad's doing the question to start the round with clunky shot of Jenny turning it round only for it to be back to being blank a few seconds later.

Just seems like stuff that went 'wrong' during the recording that would usually get re-filmed or edited out was actually left in for some reason.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 31-12-2023

Maybe Challenge were sent an unfinished edit by mistake. These things have happened a few times over the years.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 31-12-2023

(31-12-2023, 02:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The trailer makes the show look incredibly dull.

For what I understand Jeopardy isn't a frantic show. Stephen Fry's presenting I feel will reflect its calmness.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 01-01-2024

The audience clapping on Wheel of Fortune while the wheel being spun is OK when it's done because a contestant just managed to reveal a letter but every time on every spin is too much. WoF doesn't scream Saturday night by any stretch and the producers probably realise this and want to bring energy to the show but I think even viewers at home know how basic the format is and what deserves audience participation.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 01-01-2024

(01-01-2024, 12:21 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The audience clapping on Wheel of Fortune while the wheel being spun is OK when it's done because a contestant just managed to reveal a letter but every time on every spin is too much. WoF doesn't scream Saturday night by any stretch and the producers probably realise this and want to bring energy to the show but I think even viewers at home know how basic the format is and what deserves audience participation.

A quick shufty on YouTube and It appears the whole "clap every time somebody goes anywhere near the wheel" thing is in the American show, or at least it was in 2017 so I suspect its become part of the ritual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULug6PlmBo 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Alessi - 02-01-2024

Does anybody know if last night's Only Connect was a repeat?
(Monday 1st Jan)