Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 04-01-2024

I think sometimes the mixture of celebrities makes or breaks a celebrity special. I'm obviously at the age where I haven't a clue who half the modern day "celebrities" are, or even what show(s) started them off in the first place so I'm not drawn to them.

But of course it could be argued most of the decent celebrities are no longer with us, or are out of fashion (sometimes by their own making, or just because) so the dynamics of the specials have changed dramatically - and to my mind not for the best, but it works for others so...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 10:18 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The set looks really good - best gameshow set in quite some time.

I hope this is good but I fear the stretch to an hour will hurt it more than most shows and after Jeopardy I'm even more worried they'll base it more on the US version than the original UK version, especially the end game where they're practically given nearly half the alphabet.

Aside from giving contestants those extra letters in the final when you take out the music and increase the prize money a bit (although probably not to US levels) I’m not sure the US format is much different.

I think viewers will notice the lack of a letter turner more than most of the changes.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 04-01-2024

In the US version they also always say "I would like to solve the puzzle", which you pretty much never heard in the UK version. The US version's also quite hard on getting people to buy vowels, which also rarely happened in the UK. Will the new version feature both those things?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 04-01-2024

True - the main difference is the "toss up" puzzles which we know do feature - basically quick fire rounds without the wheel being spun. It is the final and the obsession with buying vowels which spoils the US version for me so it's two things which are easy to address in the UK version. I'm not sure the lack of a co-host will be an issue for most people - I think it would be more commented on if there was someone there doing a role that wasn't deemed necessary.

I think there are 2 celeb specials here out of the 8 (and I don't think they're starting with a celeb special). I remember when Catchphrase returned and how Stephen Mulhern was so vocal about it involving members of the public and the celeb specials being limited to one or two a year. We all know how that evolved, but to be fair I think the celeb format works really well with Catchphrase. The latest iteration of Family Fortunes has had a few celeb episodes but to be fair on the whole they have mainly been civilian episodes.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 04-01-2024

Catchphrase works better now with celebs because the old version was tired and woeful contestants can be cast and entertainment made out of their ineptitude whereas you couldn't be seen to do that with members of the public. Similarly, Romesh Ranganathan would be in for a lot of stick if The Weakest Link was played by civilians but gets a pass with celebs as it's "just showbiz". It's not right but there we are.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 04-01-2024

Catchphrase seems to attract some celebs that aren’t on the usual quiz show circuit. Probably because you can get away with doing poorly on Catchphrase more than you can looking stupid on The Chase, especially if you are seen as an intelligent Celeb as it’s just a case of not seeing it, rather than not knowing basic general knowledge.

On other Celeb quiz shows I do tire of both deliberately stupid contestants being booked (such as Big Narstie on The Wheel who ends up messing up the Money Spinner Round every time) and also the same celebs appearing again and again. There are some celebs, such as Katherine Ryan who you know will appear on one episode of every single Celeb game show televised in each calendar year.

Blankety Blank was like this where the same celebs would appear on there one week and The Wheel (which was next to it in the schedule) the next.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 04-01-2024

Wheel of Fortune hasn't been on air for 23 years so for a lot of people, it'll feel like a new show and TBH having some of the US features isn't a bad thing and I suspect Sony just like with Jeopardy! doesn't want the UK version to stray from the US version.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - TJTSW - 04-01-2024

So now that Darts has come back to the limelight in recent days &the increase of talk about Darts, also with some of these old gameshows being brought back, do you think the likes of ITV or possibly Channel 5 might look at Bullseye and think, time for this old classic to be rebooted to the tv screens?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 02:28 PM)XIII Wrote:  Wheel of Fortune hasn't been on air for 23 years so for a lot of people, it'll feel like a new show and TBH having some of the US features isn't a bad thing and I suspect Sony just like with Jeopardy! doesn't want the UK version to stray from the US version.

Wheel of Fortune was probably on air earlier today. It's not some obscure format in this country that hasn't been shown since the 20th century (see Jeopardy, Password or Lingo). People will notice the changes to the 21st century incarnation because the earlier version is still shown and/or remembered.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 04-01-2024

It's been shown on a loop on Challenge for probably over a decade now!