Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 04-01-2024

I can guarantee the tabloids will have an article "Wheel of Fortune viewers left FUMING as they all say the same thing about the new series" after a couple of people on twitter say they miss the co-host.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JT95 - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 01:32 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Catchphrase works better now with celebs because the old version was tired and woeful contestants can be cast and entertainment made out of their ineptitude whereas you couldn't be seen to do that with members of the public. Similarly, Romesh Ranganathan would be in for a lot of stick if The Weakest Link was played by civilians but gets a pass with celebs as it's "just showbiz". It's not right but there we are.

I have to say that personally I've grown to prefer celeb versions of game shows, they're all TV ready so no awkward attempts at conversation or humour like you see on civilian shows.

Also I feel like 90% of civilian contestants now come with some gut wrenching story; their kids have horrific illnesses, they can't afford to pay the bills, they need money for a dying relative etc etc... It probably makes me heartless resenting these contestants, but my life has enough stresses that I tire of hearing other miserable lives. I miss seeing average Joes come on because they wanna take the kids to Disney World or get a new kitchen.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 03:48 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  So now that Darts has come back to the limelight in recent days &the increase of talk about Darts, also with some of these old gameshows being brought back, do you think the likes of ITV or possibly Channel 5 might look at Bullseye and think, time for this old classic to be rebooted to the tv screens?
Honestly, it's surprising it didn't already. Really seems odd that Epic Gameshow didn't lead to any of the formats used being revived as a standalone show, like Family Fortunes (Vernon Kay's version) and Bullseye (Challenge's revival with Dave Spikey) were after Gameshow Marathon.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 04-01-2024

Interesting ITV have stumped up £50k for the Wherl of Fortune jackpot - the same as Catchphrase but other shows, noteably Epic Win, had seen their jackpot cut from £30k to £20k for the last series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 03:48 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  So now that Darts has come back to the limelight in recent days &the increase of talk about Darts, also with some of these old gameshows being brought back, do you think the likes of ITV or possibly Channel 5 might look at Bullseye and think, time for this old classic to be rebooted to the tv screens?

I think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. We never did find out what the 1995 changes wanted by ITV were, and hopefully they wouldn't be incorporated into any reboot that a mainstream network would commission.

But then even if it gets rebooted it'll get stretched out to an hour whatever network it's on, and the format only just managed to fill half an hour in the first place... what are you going to fill another 24 minutes of programme with?

The logical solution seems to be two lots of the first two games, and whoever gets the highest overall score goes onto the prize board and then gets dibs on 101 in six darts gamble. If they say sod that the other winner gets offered it, and so on downwards, but that might get tedious after the third couple...

It might be better just to let it be; for most people Jim Bowen was Bullseye after all, and he lives on via the Challenge re-runs.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bilky asko - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 04:49 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I can guarantee the tabloids will have an article "Wheel of Fortune viewers left FUMING as they all say the same thing about the new series" after a couple of people on twitter say they miss the co-host.

I'm sure we can try harder than that. We could easily coordinate and tweet about missing Jenny Powell. Then they have a controversy article and one to post about stuff they've scraped off Wikipedia about Jenny Powell.

(04-01-2024, 05:40 PM)JT95 Wrote:  I have to say that personally I've grown to prefer celeb versions of game shows, they're all TV ready so no awkward attempts at conversation or humour like you see on civilian shows.

Also I feel like 90% of civilian contestants now come with some gut wrenching story; their kids have horrific illnesses, they can't afford to pay the bills, they need money for a dying relative etc etc... It probably makes me heartless resenting these contestants, but my life has enough stresses that I tire of hearing other miserable lives. I miss seeing average Joes come on because they wanna take the kids to Disney World or get a new kitchen.

I'm not sure contestants are to blame for the economic and political situation...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JT95 - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 07:15 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  I'm sure we can try harder than that. We could easily coordinate and tweet about missing Jenny Powell. Then they have a controversy article and one to post about stuff they've scraped off Wikipedia about Jenny Powell.

I'm not sure contestants are to blame for the economic and political situation...

I’m not trying to blame civilians for it, or even trying to throw blame anywhere. I was simply remarking that (whether down to the general economic state of the country) civilian episodes have become so draped in sob stories and desperation to win, they’re losing their charm and fun… for *me*.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 04-01-2024

Re. Bullseye, the issue with reviving it is that like any popular show being brought back it will be compared to an original which is hard to match. The audience who want it aren't of great numbers and not the type that channels who could afford to make the show want anyway. The other thing that holds it back is that darts has largely fallen out of the public consciousness and those with an interest in it are the ones who pay a fortune to sit with their mates at a table miles from a stage for the bragging rights and because of the money involved. It's big business and has become an elitist sport in many ways since the 1993 split and I think any gameshow this audience would like to see would be a slick, "serious" endurance competition rather than one being sullied with questions on general knowledge and naff prizes, so far removed from Bullseye as you could be. If anyone remembers Tenball hosted by Philip Schofield, think that for darts.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 05-01-2024

Bullseye was done on Epic Gameshow and I don't think it hasn't aged well as a format.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RDJ - 05-01-2024

I think as sporting gameshows go, Bullseye is too stuck with nostalgia of it's original format for it to be brought back nowadays.

A gameshow nowadays would look ridiculous with tankards, bendy Bullys and the bus fare home as prizes. But that's what people would expect of the brand.

A sports gameshow that I think could easily make a comeback is Big Break. Recruit a new host out of the plethora of comedian turned presenters nowadays. Get a new John Virgo or get John Virgo himself. The main thing people remember about the show is the theme tune so as long as they keep that, the game could be changed for higher amounts of money.

However the one gameshow comeback that I keep on seeing highly lauded on Social Media that they wish it came back is Golden Balls. I feel given the recent popularity of BBC's The Traitors, the similarities between the treachery of fellow contestants is a format viewers want to see. Therefore I could see this succeeding if ITV or another broadcaster decide to bring it back.