Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 05-01-2024

I'd put Big Break in the same category as Bullseye really, with a less fondly remembered host. I think though a big problem with both is despite the events of the last week or so the big names in either sport aren't the big household names they were in the 80s - I suspect many of those who could now name Luke Littler would struggle to name another current PDC darts player unless they've been following the sport for years, and similarly I doubt many of the current snooker players other than Ronnie O'Sullivan have much name recognition outside of the fanbase either.

I think the problem both have, and something that affected Question of Sport too, is that players don't get a huge amount of downtime nowadays - the seasons never end.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 05-01-2024

I never noticed until recently that they were a bit stingy with the final round on Big Break and they only actually won one of the coloured ball prizes (although I think the red ball prize was always chucked in) rather than accumulating them!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - lookoutwales - 05-01-2024

I tend to think Bullseye got a little caught out by the split towards the end of its original run - and this was apart from moving it to Saturdays, which felt like an early sign that the game was nearly up.

Up to that point, Jim had occasionally addressed the decline in TV tournament coverage during the Bronze Bully feature.

AFAIK, the split itself was never addressed on the show but in hindsight, one could sense that as the game's main TV platform away from Lakeside, it was under pressure to take sides (though am sure some of the breakaway players still appeared on the last couple of series)

And there was one quite telling episode - the 1992 Christmas special - with Olly Croft (BDO founder) appearing rather uncomfortably in the same studio as Phil Taylor and Rod Harrington (two of the 'rebels' who had founded the World Darts Council, forerunner to the PDC, earlier that year)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Gary Baldy - 05-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 07:48 PM)JT95 Wrote:  I’m not trying to blame civilians for it, or even trying to throw blame anywhere. I was simply remarking that (whether down to the general economic state of the country) civilian episodes have become so draped in sob stories and desperation to win, they’re losing their charm and fun… for *me*.

I think it’s different when celeb editions air now because they all know each other from social media or the podcast circuit etc, so you don’t really get a lot of “unusual” dynamics anymore- none of those “where else would you see this person and that person together” scenarios? Must make it much more difficult to cast for shows like I’m A Celeb too- hence them throwing in random Yanks and politicians now.

Back in the day, the entertainers all knew each other, the comedians all knew each other, the sports stars all knew each other, the soap stars all knew each other etc, but there was very little overlap, so a sports star appearing on a Gameshow hosted by an entertainer was outside of their “natural habitat” so to speak. You’d never see a Question of Sport captain and a Coronation Street actor on the same show for example. Whereas now we’re all used to it.

The UK culture has become a very closed-off clique nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago. Even compared to 10 years ago- a prime example of this is on the panel shows. 10 years ago, “reality star” types popped up on these panel shows and the comics treated them as the butt of the joke, poked fun at the fact that they were in their own little reality bubble. Fast forward 10 years, and those comics have gone from poking fun at that reality star bubble to embracing it and even being a part of that same bubble themselves now- it’s odd how that situation has changed over the years. The Channel 4 version of 8 Out of 10 Cats used to poke fun at the ridiculousness of Made in Chelsea or TOWIE; whereas when it moved to E4 a few years later, those shows were suddenly the same things since sliced bread. The types of comics they had on the show themselves hadn’t changed (other than the captains), but the way their views on that whole reality celebrity culture changed so rapidly within that short space of time is fascinating.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 05-01-2024

It is noteable that many of the new formats of recent years that focus on the general public tend to have them on in pairs so there is a ready made relationship there.

The Chase is probably the most successful format of the last 15 years and it's bread and butter is the civilian episodes. It is cast so well too - a really wide range of contestants in terms of both ability and personality which keeps it feeling fresh. Jeopardy has clearly cast for ability which is right for that show but makes it far more difficult to get behind the contestants when it's all taken a bit too seriously.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 05-01-2024

Countdown was mentioned on today's Jeopardy!, one of the contestants had been on it - when aged just 11!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Newshound47 - 05-01-2024

Jeopardy! is enjoyable but ITV daytime is not the right place for it. It’s more of a BBC or C4 show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 06:02 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Countdown was mentioned on today's Jeopardy!, one of the contestants had been on it - when aged just 11!

Countdown was mentioned in passing the other day as a question on the board ("What is Countdown?") into its relation to the French show.

And yes, that was Kai Laddiman who appeared on Countdown back in I think it was 2008 on the pink set. He reached the semi-final apparently and had he won would have been the youngest winner ever (younger than Conor Travers who was 14 who did win it), a feat which cannot be repeated now as they changed the rules a few series later so you have to be 16 or over to take part in Countdown...

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 05-01-2024

They just covered the remake of Wheel of Fortune as the ‘and finally’ on the ITV Evening News

Is it well known that Joe Mace off of ‘The Saturday Show with Dani Behr and Joe Mace’ is now ITV Entertainment Commissioning Editor?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Nobby - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 06:02 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Countdown was mentioned on today's Jeopardy!, one of the contestants had been on it - when aged just 11!

And Jeopardy! was mentioned on Wednesday's Richard Osman's House of Games. It was the answer to a question where the category was gameshows. Richard Osman referred to it as "the American gameshow" rather than "the ITV gameshow with Stephen Fry".