Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 01:31 PM)RDJ Wrote:  However the one gameshow comeback that I keep on seeing highly lauded on Social Media that they wish it came back is Golden Balls. I feel given the recent popularity of BBC's The Traitors, the similarities between the treachery of fellow contestants is a format viewers want to see. Therefore I could see this succeeding if ITV or another broadcaster decide to bring it back.

ITV have piloted a show Trivial Deceit and whilst thinking ahead and trying out stuff is OK it's a bit premature IMO to capitalise on The Traitors' "success" because for all the hype it's getting it's numbers aren't that amazing and viewers don't necessarily want more of the same type of thing. The projections are The Masked Singer and The Circle all over again.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 05-01-2024

Unsuprisingly after the week's headlines and the related discussions on here, but the The Sun reports ITV are in discussions to revive Bullseye, with Paddy McGuinness as host.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/bullseye-itvrebootrep1 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - callumwatchestelly - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 10:31 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Unsuprisingly after the week's headlines and the related discussions on here, but the The Sun reports ITV are in discussions to revive Bullseye, with Paddy McGuinness as host.

This would be the perfect time for something like this to be announced - but I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 05-01-2024

I doubt there is any truth in that story, it’s just the most obvious made up story to run

In any case remaking an ITV game show and using Paddy as a host seems more likely to be up BBC One’s street these days. Paddy hasn’t been on ITV in years.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 06-01-2024

Exactly. Epic Gameshow seemed to really favour Bullseye but I thought it was one of their worst formats, but that's largely as it didn't suit Alan Carr IMO. If you're pulling a show from that though I'd choose Strike it Lucky or Take Your Pick first (with Alan in mind), or one of the Brucie formats.

It's funny though how TV is somewhat cyclical with these shows that were big hits in the 90s but out of fashion by the 00s now coming around again - indeed many of the 90s shows were revivals of shows from the 60s/70s. They're clearly popular with execs for very similar reasons to why they were originally though - they pull in the viewers and are relatively cheap to make. TBH though at the moment it feels like ITV is very strong in the traditional gameshow sense and needs to look more at other entertainment formats to fill the weekend slots.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 06-01-2024

Not a gameshow as such, but noticed that regular episodes of QI returned tonight. I think for the first time, the 45 minute QI XL editions are getting a linear airing before the 30 minute standard editions (QI XL airing on Fridays, with the QI of the same episode airing on the Monday). Both edits are now available on iPlayer on the Friday.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bilky asko - 06-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 10:31 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Unsuprisingly after the week's headlines and the related discussions on here, but the The Sun reports ITV are in discussions to revive Bullseye, with Paddy McGuinness as host.

I could only accept him as host if he calls it "dats"

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Johnr - 07-01-2024

Limitless Win the latest show to drop a title sequence and instead just use their AR technology to stick 'Limitless Win' over a standard studio shot and the set looks a bit brighter in general during gameplay now too

I am curious what they 'see' in the actual studio though?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 07-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 12:38 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly. Epic Gameshow seemed to really favour Bullseye but I thought it was one of their worst formats, but that's largely as it didn't suit Alan Carr IMO. If you're pulling a show from that though I'd choose Strike it Lucky or Take Your Pick first (with Alan in mind), or one of the Brucie formats.

It's funny though how TV is somewhat cyclical with these shows that were big hits in the 90s but out of fashion by the 00s now coming around again - indeed many of the 90s shows were revivals of shows from the 60s/70s. They're clearly popular with execs for very similar reasons to why they were originally though - they pull in the viewers and are relatively cheap to make. TBH though at the moment it feels like ITV is very strong in the traditional gameshow sense and needs to look more at other entertainment formats to fill the weekend slots.

The problem there I think is that it's easier to come up with one idea for a gameshow that fills up an hour than lots of hit and miss ideas and a dependant on the talent format like Saturday Night Takeaway. The 90s had Barrymore and Noel's House Party but there probably would be execs today asking what the point of those shows were? To them, giving people a good time = giving people money so another reason why we end up with so many gameshows.

Many of the hit 90s shows were from the 80s that could update their look. For those that originated in the 90s that haven't been remade yet, there aren't many because there weren't many good new formats between Gladiators in 1992 and WWTBAM in 1998. You have to go into the 00s before you find something suitable and The X Factor will likely be the next big revival. Pokerface and Golden Balls probably didn't outstay their welcome so they're an option if ITV want that sort of thing.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Alessi - 09-01-2024

Does anyone know if Jeopardy has a real audience or not? It sounds quite flat.