Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 22-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 06:02 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I would hope ITV consider more things than just the ratings of a poll on a website somewhere about whether to commission/recommission a programme.  Things like that are just snapshots in time about what's popular.

Long as a programme gets sufficient arses on sofas, that's the priority.

But of course formats can be tweaked or completely overhauled and then shows run for years themselves; its how they're packaged that makes the difference as to whether they live (and for how long) or whether they die, and how quickly.

In the 70s, 80s and to an extent the 90s game shows ran for years pretty much by default with a more captive audience, and most of them were complete crap in their early days, taking years to evolve into a semi decent format or package.  That doesn't happen these days, so if it doesn't work from the off, it goes in the bin.

The BBC tends to give daytime shows two series if it does decently enough.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 23-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 06:02 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I would hope ITV consider more things than just the ratings of a poll on a website somewhere about whether to commission/recommission a programme. Things like that are just snapshots in time about what's popular.

But of course formats can be tweaked or completely overhauled and then shows run for years themselves; its how they're packaged that makes the difference as to whether they live (and for how long) or whether they die, and how quickly.

In the 70s, 80s and to an extent the 90s game shows ran for years pretty much by default with a more captive audience, and most of them were complete crap in their early days, taking years to evolve into a semi decent format or package. That doesn't happen these days, so if it doesn't work from the off, it goes in the bin.

Not suggesting that decisions should be made on the basis of a poll. It's just a bit of fun seeing how many "bad" shows get recommissioned. Equally, not every "good" show gets another chance - The Answer Trap which was joint #1 in 2021 didn't.

It's difficult to get back viewers with so many other options available, whereas years ago people only had a few channels and, as you say, shows had time to evolve. TV development is more sophisticated nowadays and flaws should be ironed out before going to air. I don't know what happened with Fastest Finger First - maybe someone thought that it being part of the WWTBAM brand meant that viewers would persist with it but the main show is hardly in great health.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JLav25 - 23-01-2023

(22-01-2023, 06:02 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I would hope ITV consider more things than just the ratings of a poll on a website somewhere about whether to commission/recommission a programme.  Things like that are just snapshots in time about what's popular.

In the 70s, 80s and to an extent the 90s game shows ran for years pretty much by default with a more captive audience, and most of them were complete crap in their early days, taking years to evolve into a semi decent format or package.  That doesn't happen these days, so if it doesn't work from the off, it goes in the bin.

Well ITV have been known to ignore the poll before. Alphabetical topped the Hall of Shame poll but got a second series, while 1000 Heartbeats topped the Fame poll but wasn't recommisioned after (got two series in the same year)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 06-02-2023

So That's My Jam is finished, for good probably. Bridge of Lies is a welcome change on Saturdays but sadly still a show which airs 6 days a week. Talking of which, Pointless is back on the 18th.

Looking forward to seeing if Shania Twain gives Starstruck a boost and if that will be enough to get a third series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 07-02-2023

A third series of Starstruck seems to be in the works. Applications were open as recently as this morning as per the screenshot and the link to the Google cache but the entry form has now been taken down.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QKc3jG7ZHaYJ:https://www.starstrucktv.com/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk 

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 12-02-2023

https://www.starstrucktv.com/ 

Entry form now back up. It's possible to see who is being impersonated this series given that they list acts that people can't apply as. 28 acts - up from 24 - so there's an extra episode.

Interesting though that they are looking for Lady Gagas and Michael Bubles who featured in S1, which makes me think they will be doing a special(s). Either that or a mistake.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 14-02-2023

Ninja Warrior and The Masked Dancer both axed. Fair enough for the latter as it seems unlikely that they’d have space for it this year due to the Rugby World Cup, but it makes you wonder what the point of bringing back Ninja Warrior was considering it got dumped at 5.30 (and a couple of episodes aired even earlier if I remember correctly).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 14-02-2023

(14-02-2023, 10:39 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Ninja Warrior and The Masked Dancer both axed. Fair enough for the latter as it seems unlikely that they’d have space for it this year due to the Rugby World Cup, but it makes you wonder what the point of bringing back Ninja Warrior was considering it got dumped at 5.30 (and a couple of episodes aired even earlier if I remember correctly).

I think it's probably a good decision to axe the Masked Dancer, as it means they can focus on the Singer brand & not dilute 'Masked' so much, but it might've been an okay show to run over the summer. Not that they need it, but it did feel like it worked better as stripped show too because the guessing is much harder.

Reports that they'll do more one-off versions of Singer, like the I'm A Celeb on last year. I've always thought the show is perfect for a Christmas special/mini-series where the costumes are present, Christmas tree etc... but I guess this is too close to where they run the main series.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 14-02-2023

The masked dancer didn't really work the way the singer version did anyway.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 14-02-2023

(14-02-2023, 10:39 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Ninja Warrior and The Masked Dancer both axed. Fair enough for the latter as it seems unlikely that they’d have space for it this year due to the Rugby World Cup, but it makes you wonder what the point of bringing back Ninja Warrior was considering it got dumped at 5.30 (and a couple of episodes aired even earlier if I remember correctly).

Source please? I just Googled "Ninja Warrior cancelled" and all I got was news from last September about Australian Ninja Warrior being cancelled, and news from earlier last year about the UK version being UNcancelled.