Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 13-01-2024

No. It doesn't. I notice Hole In The Wall has been picked up again in the US for some reason, considering the original show flopped on Fox and was more successful on, of all places, the Cartoon Network.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JLav25 - 14-01-2024

Very first series of Bullseye on Challenge right now. I've never seen this, and it is so different!

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 01:07 AM)JLav25 Wrote:  Very first series of Bullseye on Challenge right now. I've never seen this, and it is so different!

I saw your post and turned over just as he joked that one of the booby prizes for landing in a red segment was a “semi detached house in Iran”

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 14-01-2024

Hole In The Wall has been away long enough that a revival would seem plausible. If Gladiators does well maybe the BBC will look to more non-traditional gameshows, possibly Superstars or something like a kids gameshow from the 90s but maybe the budget isn't there.

In the same vein and shows that have been away long enough, what about Splash and The Krypton Factor for ITV? I could see them getting dusted off in the next ten years along with The Cube.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - sjames - 14-01-2024

If a kids gameshow was to be revived, perhaps it's time to re-tool something like Fun House, Finders Keepers, Get Your Own Back or 50:50 for adults?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 14-01-2024

Superstars is a hard one to revive because a lot of sportspeople are simply too busy and a lot of the retired ones probably aren't interested either.

A lot of the physical gameshows have already been revived like Crystal Maze, The Cube etc Total Wipeout is one where I think you'd need international productions to cover the costs because it's simply too expensive for one broadcaster.

Game of Games has never been done in the UK and think would be quite fun.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 14-01-2024

The Crystal Maze I can see coming round again at some point.

Friends Like These, I don't know what the problem was with the pilot they recorded last year and maybe the whole concept is dated now like Gaby Roslin's Whatever You Want but it's more a Saturday night show than both Pointless and The Weakest Link are.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 03:36 AM)XIII Wrote:  Superstars is a hard one to revive because a lot of sportspeople are simply too busy and a lot of the retired ones probably aren't interested either.

A lot of the physical gameshows have already been revived like Crystal Maze, The Cube etc Total Wipeout is one where I think you'd need international productions to cover the costs because it's simply too expensive for one broadcaster.

Game of Games has never been done in the UK and think would be quite fun.

Yeah, Superstars would face the same hurdles as the now axed Question of Sport in attracting notable enough sportspeople to take part. Superstars would also carry the additional risk of injury etc., so athletes would be more reluctant to make themselves available sadly.

Are the Crystal Maze games still open to the public? If they are still going, a broadcaster could still see that the format is still alive in the public consciousness and be popular enough to revived.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 04:59 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Are the Crystal Maze games still open to the public? If they are still going, a broadcaster could still see that the format is still alive in the public consciousness and be popular enough to revived.

Yes, as far as I know, in Manchester & London.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - nwtv2003 - 14-01-2024

The Crystal Maze experience in Manchester is still open to the public, which is at the old Stage 1 building within the old Granada Studios lot, where Coronation Street was filmed.