Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Juicy Joe - 14-01-2024

And if the BBC wish to know how to do a revival of the Maze correctly, they should tune into Challenge next Monday 22nd at 6pm. The BBC deserve some praise for their decent revival of Gladiators so I could see them being able to pull this off with the Maze without adverts & cutting stuff out & a mysterious mystical presenter - at some point.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 01:42 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Hole In The Wall has been away long enough that a revival would seem plausible. If Gladiators does well maybe the BBC will look to more non-traditional gameshows, possibly Superstars or something like a kids gameshow from the 90s but maybe the budget isn't there.

In the same vein and shows that have been away long enough, what about Splash and The Krypton Factor for ITV? I could see them getting dusted off in the next ten years along with The Cube.

The Krypton Factor is worth having another go at in my opinion

Last time it was brought back, it was only a modern day ITV half hour so felt inconsequential and a round had to be removed, and it was up against EastEnders in the pre catch-up days when that really meant something

I think it’s a show that wouldn’t actually harm being extended to an hour as would invariably be the case. Padding it out by actually getting the contestants thoughts after each round rather than no feedback at all like what used to be the case, the purists would hate.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 14-01-2024

I actually enjoyed the Krypton Factor revival, though it did seem to suffer from lack of promotion (and it never had any adverts during the breaks either, just promos).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JasonB - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 02:35 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I actually enjoyed the Krypton Factor revival, though it did seem to suffer from lack of promotion (and it never had any adverts during the breaks either, just promos).

I enjoyed the first series of the revival but when i went to a recording of the second series with Ben Shepard, i was gutted when they eliminated the Intelligence round as that was what I went to the taping for, to see how long it would actually take for the contestants to put the puzzle together.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 01:42 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Hole In The Wall has been away long enough that a revival would seem plausible. If Gladiators does well maybe the BBC will look to more non-traditional gameshows, possibly Superstars or something like a kids gameshow from the 90s but maybe the budget isn't there.

In the same vein and shows that have been away long enough, what about Splash and The Krypton Factor for ITV? I could see them getting dusted off in the next ten years along with The Cube.

A big difference though in that Hole in the Wall and Splash were flops at the time that only got two series.

Superstars felt like a dated format when it was last revived. There is a similar format which ran about 10-15 years ago in Australia called Australia's Greatest Athlete which had a similar idea but felt much more modern with 8 athletes competing over 8 weeks. It would have been perfect for a UK broadcast post-London 2012 - (it was a UK format created by former athlete Du'aine Ladejo who was a Gladiator for Sky too).

Gladiators finally fixes the BBC's Q1 issue which alongside Michael McIntyre now feels stronger than it has done for a long time. Q2 will have Doctor Who back, so maybe potential for another format alongside that.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 14-01-2024

(14-01-2024, 07:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A big difference though in that Hole in the Wall and Splash were flops at the time that only got two series.

Time can be kind and I think there is enough fuzzy nostalgia and brand recognition for both shows to make reboots a possibility. I don't think the same can or will ever be said about the likes of The Void, Catchpoint or the vast majority of post-millennium shows that were either dead on arrival and only lasted one series OR because they rated reasonably, lasted far too long and people got sick of them in the end.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JexedBack - 14-01-2024

How about You Bet! ?
That’s ripe for a revival.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 15-01-2024

Pretty sure they rehashed You Bet after just one year - Don't Try This At Home. Which was You Bet in new packaging and a bit more extreme.

Could I argue the Jackass franchise is the modern You Bet? Only on a more stupider level.

Anyway You Bet was based on a German show which ran for years and they bought it back a couple of years ago. More than just a challenge show, and it was live - which had disastrous consequences one time for a challenger.

Format was remade for America, think it was an Ant & Dec vehicle if I remember correctly. Lasted six episodes as it tanked in the ratings.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 15-01-2024

In regards to You Bet! How would the modern viewer take to the geeky memory style challenges?

It wasn’t all the big physical challenges as I recall.

(14-01-2024, 04:28 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The Crystal Maze I can see coming round again at some point.

Why did the reboot of The Crystal Maze flop, it seemed to go from Channel 4’s next big thing, to something they were burning off in quiet slots very quickly?

Did they some how do it wrong, or was it just wrong place at the wrong time? And possibly wrong channel.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 15-01-2024

Perhaps The Crystal Maze was just too iconic to bring back and though I liked Richard Ayode myself he's very much marmite. Scheduling was all over the place and it never felt in the right slot, and when they did move it what you might think of as the right slot it didn't do too well either. Indeed I think the final 3 episodes buried away on E4 did relatively better than it did on C4.

I don't think cutting to 10 games helped - they probably could have kept it at 12 with a bit less chit chat and having more games closer to the 2 minute mark than 3 minutes. There were little annoyances like not strictly moving clockwise/anti-clockwise around the maze and the starts and links not being that great - perhaps it's those little touches which do keep a remake feel authentic, but I'm not completely sure they're the deal breaker here. Similarly there were far too many celeb episodes but not sure they were the reason it just didn't take off either.

I think the ad structure now compared to the 90s doesn't do commercial revivals any favours - you're either cutting a chunk out of it to fit it to the hour or having to expand the format to 75/90 minutes and then it feels jam packed with ads. I think there was a feeling when it aired it might have benefitted from the BBC picking it up instead where it could air ad free.

As for You Bet - I'm quite surprised it's never been revived as on paper it would tick alot of boxes, especially having a celebrity panel each week but primarily being a game featuring the British public. And though it didn't work out for them in the US it does feel like a perfect vehicle for Ant and Dec here.