Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 16-01-2024

I’m sure they could tweak the format enough for today’s audiences.

On The Apprentice we all know it has format holes, but you have to accept it’s an entertainment game show with a business theme, rather than a serious business documentary.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 16-01-2024

But it isn't a secret that The Apprentice has format holes. As mentioned the whole thing around phones and the internet. They have to use Yellow Pages or something similar to find a business to flog cheap tat to and the A-Z to get anywhere.

These are actually useful skills to still be able to use. Google Maps and internet all very nice and all but if some cyber attack as seen in film becomes reality, there's no phones, no internet and I dare say a lot of people these days won't have a clue how to do anything.

Though it could be argued The Apprentice these days is a long way detached from how it launched (as in the original idea "here's a 12 month contract, you can work on this project I have for your £100k", etc) to the current cash injection into a new business. That's not the traditional definition of an apprentice, but why let that fact get in the way.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - WillPS - 16-01-2024

For what it's worth, I like The Crystal Maze revival for what it is. It teeters right on the edge of playing the whole thing for laughs, which is a cardinal sin when it comes to revivals, but just about gets away with it. I can deal with the fourth wall breaking stuff because that's arguably been a thing since Richard O'Brien's first aside. I know Ayoade went further with the mocking, and I get why that might upset some, but it normally makes me laugh.

The games were great, the aesthetic was spot on too (although it was peculiar they dropped the Medieval Zone, guessing that was more to do with making it work for the US than improving it for the UK). Shame they had to make compromises on scale but it's understandable that a huge standing set connecting together in a giant square wasn't doable.

The pacing with 3 full advert breaks felt like a killer, and on initial viewing I found myself annoyed that so much time was wasted 'getting to know the team'. The episodes didn't feel like they individually contained enough, is I think the long and short of it.

Re-watching it on Pluto TV has proven to be a bit of a treat though, I must say. I dip in and out, sometimes I'll watch several episodes, sometimes I'll watch just a few games, and it's very enjoyable. I don't have to care who's playing (like the 'good old days').

I would *love* a new version of Fort Boyard, something closer to what's aired in France more recently. Perhaps it could even be retooled as something which plays out with the same cast over 2 or 3 editions. It'd make a decent setting for a Traitors clone potentially.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 16-01-2024

Ice Warriors was a massive flop, it's not going to be revived ever.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 16-01-2024

I seem to remember Challenge repeating it at one point though.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 16-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 11:15 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Robot Wars was a thing before it became a TV show, though I don't know what happened to that after the TV show ended.

Its a Knockout was revived for Channel 5.

Knightmare, well that was revived in 2013 for YouTube's Geek Week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74r-EbIqt9s 

Fort Boyard has had a few incarnations, most recently for CITV as Ultimate Challenge, though its still a thing in France I believe.

Scavengers flopped first time round and was relegated to daytime TV to burn it off. Apparently the set cost a fortune.

Not sure from this post and others if you are simply giving out info and/or implying that you don't think shows would work or shouldn't be rebooted because they've flopped or been rebooted before but like with Hole In The Wall the public generally don't remember why shows were axed. Only when it is The X Factor or Big Brother, shows so embedded in culture that their opinion on a reboot is apparent - mostly negative - but people will give shows a chance otherwise Jeopardy and Password which have been revived multiple times now would never have been considered.

It's A Knockout was 23 years ago. Most people don't even remember there was a Channel 5 version.

(16-01-2024, 01:26 AM)XIII Wrote:  Ice Warriors was a massive flop, it's not going to be revived ever.

Only people overly familiar with TV and gameshows know about it. I'm not saying that it should be rebooted but it has a USP which countless shows don't, many of which are currently being axed because they are retreads of an idea already overmilked and better done elsewhere. It's laziness from commissioners.

That may seem two-faced because I've been suggesting old physical gameshows in response to Gladiators doing well but not all of them are with Saturday nights in mind but it's clear that daytime fare doesn't cut it and other once popular formats are on the wane.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 12:45 AM)WillPS Wrote:  For what it's worth, I like The Crystal Maze revival for what it is. It teeters right on the edge of playing the whole thing for laughs, which is a cardinal sin when it comes to revivals, but just about gets away with it. I can deal with the fourth wall breaking stuff because that's arguably been a thing since Richard O'Brien's first aside. I know Ayoade went further with the mocking, and I get why that might upset some, but it normally makes me laugh.

The games were great, the aesthetic was spot on too (although it was peculiar they dropped the Medieval Zone, guessing that was more to do with making it work for the US than improving it for the UK). Shame they had to make compromises on scale but it's understandable that a huge standing set connecting together in a giant square wasn't doable.

The pacing with 3 full advert breaks felt like a killer, and on initial viewing I found myself annoyed that so much time was wasted 'getting to know the team'. The episodes didn't feel like they individually contained enough, is I think the long and short of it.

Re-watching it on Pluto TV has proven to be a bit of a treat though, I must say. I dip in and out, sometimes I'll watch several episodes, sometimes I'll watch just a few games, and it's very enjoyable. I don't have to care who's playing (like the 'good old days').

I would *love* a new version of Fort Boyard, something closer to what's aired in France more recently. Perhaps it could even be retooled as something which plays out with the same cast over 2 or 3 editions. It'd make a decent setting for a Traitors clone potentially.

Completely agree - the ingredients were all there but it was a bit undercooked perhaps. Ad wise I think had the extra ad break been placed just before the zone rather than in between zone 2&3 so the core structure of the episode was the same until near the end.

I did think the CITV revival of Fort Boyard was quite well done, though the half hour eps worked better than the hour long eps IMO.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - JAS84 - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 02:16 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Not sure from this post and others if you are simply giving out info and/or implying that you don't think shows would work or shouldn't be rebooted because they've flopped or been rebooted before but like with Hole In The Wall the public generally don't remember why shows were axed. Only when it is The X Factor or Big Brother, shows so embedded in culture that their opinion on a reboot is apparent - mostly negative - but people will give shows a chance otherwise Jeopardy and Password which have been revived multiple times now would never have been considered.

It's A Knockout was 23 years ago. Most people don't even remember there was a Channel 5 version.

Only people overly familiar with TV and gameshows know about it. I'm not saying that it should be rebooted but it has a USP which countless shows don't, many of which are currently being axed because they are retreads of an idea already overmilked and better done elsewhere. It's laziness from commissioners.

That may seem two-faced because I've been suggesting old physical gameshows in response to Gladiators doing well but not all of them are with Saturday nights in mind but it's clear that daytime fare doesn't cut it and other once popular formats are on the wane.
I am wondering if Ice Warriors might have been more successful more recently. It's pretty much a cross between Gladiators and Dancing on Ice - and the latter didn't exist when it first aired.

Was ITV offered the new version of Gladiators before the BBC took it? If so I can see them thinking "we don't need that, we already have Ninja Warrior". That mindset seems to be a mistake.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - James2001 - 16-01-2024

You can argue that something being a flop originally isn't a reason not to try it again. The original (celebrity) Love Island was a notorious bomb after all, and look at the format now.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 11:49 AM)James2001 Wrote:  You can argue that something being a flop originally isn't a reason not to try it again. The original (celebrity) Love Island was a notorious bomb after all, and look at the format now.
1m viewers on ITV1 last night, 0.5m on ITV2. Big Grin

It was perfect for ITV2 though, and something like MAFS didn't work for C4 but retooled has been successful for E4. Survivor though an example of something that didn't work the first time and hasn't worked the second time - even if the BBC were considering a second run the weekends ratings should really reiterate a 2m overnight is not something they should accept for a flagship format.

Hopefully the success of Gladiators will see more non-quiz formats return. ITV may look again at Ninja Warrior, more in it's original guise than what they used last time.

It's tricky though to find something that is like Gladiators but isn't Gladiators, but suspect that's the brief commissioners are looking at this week. It's a Knockout may tick that box but think the Stuart Hall connection makes that a non-starter. ITV did do Simply the Best in the early noughties which I think was still technically a reworking of the same French format - it only lasted one series but perhaps is so forgotten it could return, perhaps under a different name.