Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 17-01-2024

Some returning shows...

Who Wants to be a Millionare? reported to be back Sunday 28th January at 8pm.

New series of Tipping Point replaces Jeopardy! from 29th January.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 17-01-2024

Possibly his last series - guess we'll see from the reaction if his column is forgiven or forgotten.

I did get round to the second series of Clarkson's Farm last week having ignored it last year, but it was nowhere near as good as the first. Felt too self aware with things obviously done for the benefit of the show.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - cando - 18-01-2024

Celebrity Wrestling would be worth a shot I reckon.

(17-01-2024, 11:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Possibly his last series - guess we'll see from the reaction if his column is forgiven or forgotten.

I did get round to the second series of Clarkson's Farm last week having ignored it last year, but it was nowhere near as good as the first. Felt too self aware with things obviously done for the benefit of the show.

The ratings were pretty mediocre for a while before the column.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - cando - 18-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 11:49 AM)James2001 Wrote:  You can argue that something being a flop originally isn't a reason not to try it again. The original (celebrity) Love Island was a notorious bomb after all, and look at the format now.

They share a name and that's about it. They're completely different shows imo.

The format was completely different. The original was closer to I'm a Celebrity than present Love Island. I'm pretty sure it was the exact same team on both.
Patrick kielty and Kelly Brook/Fearne Cotton presented it in the same manner as Ant & Dec do I'm a Celebrity.
There was no coupling off, no shared beds, they all competed as Individuals, the public voted them off one by one, there was no casa amor and there were on an actual Island and not a villa.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 18-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 12:25 AM)cando Wrote:  Celebrity Wrestling would be worth a shot I reckon.

Shown around the same time as Celebrity Love Island... What didn't help these shows is that viewers were burned out with typical reality TV by that point and "real" formats like Strictly, X Factor, Dragon's Den and The Apprentice had arrived and made the "let's laugh at celebs" stuff look old hat in comparison.

Beyond the Euros, apart from The Voice, I don't know what ITV have lined up.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - cityprod - 18-01-2024

The one gameshow format that I'm surprised hasn't been brought back yet is The Mole. That was actually an incredibly good show and was probably lost somewhat because it was on Channel 5 when it didn't have the ubiquity of availability the channel does now.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - ACTV - 18-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 02:21 PM)cityprod Wrote:  The one gameshow format that I'm surprised hasn't been brought back yet is The Mole. That was actually an incredibly good show and was probably lost somewhat because it was on Channel 5 when it didn't have the ubiquity of availability the channel does now.

Wasn't there a bidding war between the BBC & Channel 5 for the rights for the UK version of The Mole? Certainly quite surprising it only lasted a year, and with the likes of The Traitors being so successful plus a US version on Netflix fairly recently, it would probably work even better nowadays.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - eyeTV - 19-01-2024

Yes 'treachery' formats are popular off the back of The Traitors.

ITV already have the Fortune Hotel and The Genius Game (a popular Korean format?) in production which look like they have similar elements.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 19-01-2024

Arguably be a good time for C4 to try again with The Circle - though in many ways that walked so The Traitors could run.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 19-01-2024

I think the issue with The Circle is that it costs too much to make and having already been given a chance by viewers probably won't launch well or grow to make it worthwhile.

There are shows that Channel 4 could make that have twists and are dramatic but it's a closed shop. Those working in development who are much to blame for the lack of commissioning and living off past glories aren't going to give up their jobs so you end up with decisions/ideas coming mostly from the same people.