Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 28-01-2024

I think you could just tell Clarkson was being on his best behaviour and dare I say had been a bit humbled by what had gone on in the weeks before recording. Agree the contestants make all the difference and TBH I don't think the casting has been as good in the Clarkson era as it was in the 90s when they often had much more personable contestants on who you generally felt their life would change with even just a 5 figure win.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 28-01-2024

(28-01-2024, 10:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think you could just tell Clarkson was being on his best behaviour and dare I say had been a bit humbled by what had gone on in the weeks before recording. Agree the contestants make all the difference and TBH I don't think the casting has been as good in the Clarkson era as it was in the 90s when they often had much more personable contestants on who you generally felt their life would change with even just a 5 figure win.

I'm not saying white collar professionals can't apply and go on these shows but I think you need a mix of people from different backgrounds and to me, it's more fun seeing say a supermarket worker win big over a doctor.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Andrew - 28-01-2024

(28-01-2024, 10:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  I'm not saying white collar professionals can't apply and go on these shows but I think you need a mix of people from different backgrounds and to me, it's more fun seeing say a supermarket worker win big over a doctor.

In terms of Millionaire I’ve seen arguments for both

Someone who 5 figures would change their life won’t gamble, and then we end up with a parade of 16/32k wins. I’m sure one of the early Clarkson series was like this

Someone who has money is more likely to gamble and get closer to the million pound question, but are then less relatable to the audience

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - IanJRedman - 28-01-2024

I noticed there weren't any of the 'out of context' gags after they came back from the breaks.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 29-01-2024

It is now six years of Millionaire with Clarkson so the honeymoon period is over. A new host would give the show a boost, ratings would remain stable and overall probably wouldn't be a bad thing for production as there would be less chance of having to postpone episodes (if that's what happened) because of stuff that goes on off air.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bilky asko - 29-01-2024

(28-01-2024, 10:07 PM)XIII Wrote:  The biggest flaw with the Clarkson Millionaire is the selection of contestants who tend to be white collar professionals, one of the contestants today was a Space Engineer. I know it's not easy casting these shows but I think personally, having contestants who even £32,000 would be substantial.

I don't think a Space Engineer is paid that much that £32,000 is just pocket change.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bkman1990 - 29-01-2024

Has anyone download the new app called Millionaire Champions on their phones yet?

I downloaded it last night. You do have to pay a small fee for the app to have it installed on your phone.

It has some quite interesting features from the current show and from times gone by.

If you go into Classic Mode; it's basically the current version of WWBTAM from Clarkson. That mode has 4 lifelines. The option for the safety net from Clarkson's version of the show is included each time you answer a question correctly in Classic Mode. There is however no Ask the Host lifeline available in that mode. It offers a shuffle lifeline instead.

Millionaire Champions on the other hand has loads of questions from past players of Chris Tarrant's era of WWTBAM. Before you start the round of questions from the Millionaire Champions option. You get brief clips of Chris Tarrant saying to the contestants "Are you ready to play? Let's Play Who Wants to be a Millionaire!".

I thought that was a nice touch from Sony Television who created the app.

The Millionaire Champions gives you various variations in virtual set design and graphics when answering the questions from each era of the contestants. Although there is no safety net option in that mode. It makes sense as it tries to match the experience when Chris Tarrant hosted it.

The music provided in the app is the original soundtrack from the show itself.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - callumwatchestelly - 29-01-2024

(29-01-2024, 10:54 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Has anyone download the new app called Millionaire Champions on their phones yet?

I downloaded it last night. You do have to pay a small fee for the app to have it installed on your phone.

It has some quite interesting features from the current show and from times gone by.

If you go into Classic Mode; it's basically the current version of WWBTAM from Clarkson. That mode has 4 lifelines. The option for the safety net from Clarkson's version of the show is included each time you answer a question correctly in Classic Mode. There is however no Ask the Host lifeline available in that mode. It offers a shuffle lifeline instead.

Millionaire Champions on the other hand has loads of questions from past players of Chris Tarrant's era of WWTBAM. Before you start the round of questions from the Millionaire Champions option. You get brief clips of Chris Tarrant saying to the contestants "Are you ready to play? Let's Play Who Wants to be a Millionaire!".

I thought that was a nice touch from Sony Television who created the app.

The Millionaire Champions gives you various variations in virtual set design and graphics when answering the questions from each era of the contestants. Although there is no safety net option in that mode. It makes sense as it tries to match the experience when Chris Tarrant hosted it.

The music provided in the app is the original soundtrack from the show itself.

Has the Millionaire Champions app replaced the free (and very Americanised) Millionaire app also owned by Sony?

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - bkman1990 - 29-01-2024

(29-01-2024, 11:08 AM)callumwatchestelly Wrote:  Has the Millionaire Champions app replaced the free (and very Americanised) Millionaire app also owned by Sony?

No. That Americanised Millionaire app is still available on Google Play and Apple App Store as well.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - RhysJR - 29-01-2024

Pointless continuing with guest co-hosts for another series.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/pointless-celebrity-guest-hosts