Pres Café
Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time (/showthread.php?tid=671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - VMPhil - 16-03-2024

No, Sainsbury’s don’t sell Comic Relief merchandise anymore. Amazon took over starting from last year.

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - James2001 - 16-03-2024

I still have a 1999 red nose in a draw... I had a 1997 one for a long time too, but it's since gone missing.

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - JMT1985 - 17-03-2024

Sainsbury's only had their Comic Relief collection boxes at the tills at my local store

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Larry the Loafer - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 06:35 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Was it just me, or was the Alan Partridge sketch just flat? I again think with no laughter from the audience included, it felt even more flat.

I feel that way with almost all Partridge material since Mid Morning Matters. I know laugh tracks aren't popular nowadays, but the original BBC days had an energy to them that worked well with the farce. Everything from MMM to the One Show parody (whose name escapes me) falls more under the awkward cringe category that's probably more popular nowadays, but it really limits the comedy potential in my opinion. How often can his co-host awkwardly ignore something inappropriate he's said?

It still begs the question as to why the live audience laughter wasn't played in over the pre-rec sketches. They did this a few years back during a Royle Family sketch, which I found really strange, but it makes sense for a big live show.

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - James2001 - 17-03-2024

I wonder if they're setting up and doing other things in the studio while the sketches are playing which would come through on air if they tried putting the live laughter over it?

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Gary Baldy - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 12:22 AM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I feel that way with almost all Partridge material since Mid Morning Matters. I know laugh tracks aren't popular nowadays, but the original BBC days had an energy to them that worked well with the farce. Everything from MMM to the One Show parody (whose name escapes me) falls more under the awkward cringe category that's probably more popular nowadays, but it really limits the comedy potential in my opinion. How often can his co-host awkwardly ignore something inappropriate he's said?

It still begs the question as to why the live audience laughter wasn't played in over the pre-rec sketches. They did this a few years back during a Royle Family sketch, which I found really strange, but it makes sense for a big live show.

Never really got the fuss over the Partridge character but agree that Steve Coogan has done it to death now- it’s very tired.

The same with this “Paloma Faith” character that Billie Piper is still milking every last penny out of.

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - RhysJR - 17-03-2024

3.6 million viewers on the night is more than respectable these days

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1769310113364320766?t=D5QK0UNEG6h7Bu7kt4Eyug&s=19 

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Brekkie - 17-03-2024

Absolutely. Difficult to pass judgement on the later slot ratings - you'd expect them to be down on the 7-10pm slot, but would they be higher if they were offering more post-news, or did a Lenny tribute bring in more than they'd usually get? I think one thing they used to do to try and retain viewers was hold back the second part of at least one sketch to air in the later slot.

Must also say I thought Rosie Ramsey was excellent on Friday - only seen her before alongside Chris but thought she more than held her own alongside much more experience talent. Maya Jama also really developing into a brilliant presenter too.

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Transmission - 17-03-2024

(16-03-2024, 10:31 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Do schools still do Red Nose Day?

I think many still do a "wear something red in return for a donation" day. But it comes just a week after World Book Day which is a much more involved thing in schools!

RE: Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time - Andrew - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 12:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Absolutely. Difficult to pass judgement on the later slot ratings - you'd expect them to be down on the 7-10pm slot, but would they be higher if they were offering more post-news, or did a Lenny tribute bring in more than they'd usually get? I think one thing they used to do to try and retain viewers was hold back the second part of at least one sketch to air in the later slot.

That’s not a bad rating for these days, maybe boosted by it being Lenny’s last show

The Lenny retrospective is in line with what Graham Norton usually gets, so pretty standard for that time slot

You wouldn’t really know what a continuation of the live show would have got in the past as it would have been an average from 10:30-2:00am or whatever time it finished