Pres Café
King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: King Charles Breaking News Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=677)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Si-Co - 06-02-2024

Are STV obliged to take the ITV News in full? I know it wouldn’t have been wise, but could they have opted out at 7pm to show STV News?

As for UTV and ITV Wales, everything is played out from London and/or Leeds as just another regional feed of ITV1, so I don’t think they have any control - legally or logistically to opt out except by prior arrangement (and then they aren’t strictly opting out anyway).

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - lookoutwales - 06-02-2024

In terms of scheduling, I'd imagine the network would prefer to keep any non-news opts for Wales / UTV / Border Scotland as uniform as possible - especially as far as the Monday and Friday slots go.

The trouble is there's next to no leeway for news. At the last Senedd election, ITV Wales' results coverage at best was one or two extra hours during the count - a similar thing with UTV, I think.

And as pessimistic as it sounds, one is always left with the impression that if there's even the slightest reason or circumstance (say, a Rugby World Cup game that slightly overruns a bit) that gives ITV even a feeble excuse of drop regional news, they'll take it. No ifs, no buts.

Almost as if Charles Allen never left ITV plc, really (well okay, he did go onto become chairman at Global...)

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - mouseboy33 - 06-02-2024

In the same way that there are live feeds of the White House and Capitol Hill are there live feeds of Buckingham Palace or Palace of Westminster for broadcasters to take live instead of having to put a chopper in the air? Just thinking, with broadcast budgets being ridiculously tight and not to mention, the environmental impact, is using a chopper for this purpose still needed? (Im not saying ground the choppers, but use them when there is actually a breaking story that requires a live view of the breaking screen scene, like a fire, etc.) Especially when there isnt visually much to be gained from live overhead view of a buildings' exterior from a moving chopper. When a button can be pushed and the same idea is achieved. Yes of course a live picture enhances the broadcast and gives the impression to the viewer that your team is across and covering everything.

Mod.edit: Offtopic links removed.

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Milkshake - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 01:08 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  Are STV obliged to take the ITV News in full? I know it wouldn’t have been wise, but could they have opted out at 7pm to show STV News?

As for UTV and ITV Wales, everything is played out from London and/or Leeds as just another regional feed of ITV1, so I don’t think they have any control - legally or logistically to opt out except by prior arrangement (and then they aren’t strictly opting out anyway).

STV has opted out of ITV news before but I dare say they have to ask in advance. Mind you remember UTV opted out of GMTV once and that cause a right storm.

I have to agree this 90mins of rolling news was over the top and they could have given us Regional news at 6.15 or even 6.45. That would have at least broken it up a bit.

With the elections stuff the trouble is Your just waiting on the counting and STV give us Two 3 hours programmes over the weekend of 2021 elections. Didnt UTV opt out of the chase on Friday and the film on the Saturday?

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - interestednovice - 06-02-2024

I think opting out of GMTV was viewed as particularly bad.

This was because the way the “ITV Network” used to deal with this, when “everywhere” opted out of GMTV, was to negotiate make-up time for GMTV elsewhere in the schedule. So, for example, on certain weekends back when ITV used to broadcast Formula 1, the main network would “start early” and GMTV’s hours would be curtailed. On a later weekend, when a race was not being broadcast, GMTV “got back” the hours they had lost by having a longer broadcast which, in turn, curtailed the network schedule on that day.

Obviously, as multiple parties were involved, such alterations of hours had to be approved in advance and, due to it requiring some flexibility in the Breakfast licence, even Ofcom. To suddenly drop GMTV effectively denied the GMTV franchise broadcast time, meaning their adverts weren’t getting seen across the network, and also made it difficult to “make-up” later, as GMTV would not have wanted to produce extra content only for NI because that probably wasn’t cost effective. I imagine UTV may have needed to pay GMTV “compensation” to make up for lost ad-revenue.

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Flux - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 05:15 AM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  In the same way that there are live feeds of the White House and Capitol Hill are there live feeds of Buckingham Palace or Palace of Westminster for broadcasters to take live instead of having to put a chopper in the air? Just thinking, with broadcast budgets being ridiculously tight and not to mention, the environmental impact, is using a chopper for this purpose still needed? (Im not saying ground the choppers, but use them when there is actually a breaking story that requires a live view of the breaking screen scene, like a fire, etc.) Especially when there isnt visually much to be gained from live overhead view of a buildings' exterior from a moving chopper. When a button can be pushed and the same idea is achieved. Yes of course a live picture enhances the broadcast and gives the impression to the viewer that your team is across and covering everything.

Mod.edit: Offtopic links removed.

I’m sure many smaller broadcasters would just use stock footage of Buckingham Palace for a story such as this one, unless of course they’re basing a live reporter outside. It’s a different story when the live pictures are warranted, as you say - e.g. during a period of mourning or a royal wedding.

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Stooky Bill - 06-02-2024

(05-02-2024, 11:03 PM)IronRoad Wrote:  I’m pretty sure that was something not meant for broadcast, similar to IRN’s reel just before the top of the hour. Especially the countdown stopping at 8….

PS: 1st post. Great to be here 👋🏼

Yes, there is an hourly bulletin provided for local radio which they can take instead of doing local bulletins. I think that is the preamble to that which for some reason it went out. I don't think most stations would be taking it normally at 6pm, they'd be doing their local ones

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Brekkie - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 10:42 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  STV has opted out of ITV news before but I dare say they have to ask in advance. Mind you remember UTV opted out of GMTV once and that cause a right storm.

I have to agree this 90mins of rolling news was over the top and they could have given us Regional news at 6.15 or even 6.45. That would have at least broken it up a bit.

With the elections stuff the trouble is Your just waiting on the counting and STV give us Two 3 hours programmes over the weekend of 2021 elections. Didnt UTV opt out of the chase on Friday and the film on the Saturday?

The difference was UTV had no right to GMTV's airtime as they had separate licences. I think in this situation as long as STV meet their UK national news obligations they could, but easier to do for a pre-planned event than breaking news overlaps.

It's very rare for the network news not to be shown in one of the nations. I think it may have happened once relatively recently, probably due to an election or referendum, but it's usually avoided.

Arguably though if pre-recording some regions doesn't give ITV the flexibility needed to deal with these situations they shouldn't be permitted to pre-record them.

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - interestednovice - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 12:57 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The difference was UTV had no right to GMTV's airtime as they had separate licences. I think in this situation as long as STV meet their UK national news obligations they could, but easier to do for a pre-planned event than breaking news overlaps.

It's very rare for the network news not to be shown in one of the nations. I think it may have happened once relatively recently, probably due to an election or referendum, but it's usually avoided.

Arguably though if pre-recording some regions doesn't give ITV the flexibility needed to deal with these situations they shouldn't be permitted to pre-record them.

The “network” arrangements have also changed since then, so STV is now viewed as effectively an affiliate to the main ITV network, and therefore is allowed to opt in and out however, I believe, without clearing the opt with ITV plc. However, I suspect they’d still be annoyed if given no notice.

RE: King Charles Breaking News Coverage - Stooky Bill - 06-02-2024

I don't thibk ITV would care, it's STVs airtime and as long as they fulfill their obligations to Ofcom it's up to them what they broadcast.

Years ago in the old days of ITV there was a rule that each contractor had to show ITN news at the same time as the others. I imagine that's long gone now