Pres Café
S4C Programming - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: S4C Programming (/showthread.php?tid=716)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: S4C Programming - Flux - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 10:39 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Really surprised. Not sure it is what it needs really as the English version is hardly a ratings winner. Guess it will be filmed on the ITV set?

Opera singer Sir Bryn Terfel the first confirmed judge. Has there been classical musicians on it in other formats? Can't think of any judges in the UK version.

I initially hated this announcement for all the reasons stated already, but the more I think about it the more I think the format works well for the Welsh speaking community. Favouritism, bias and nepotism can often be a niggling issue for many opportunities and competitions such as the Eisteddfods etc. even if it’s sometimes perceived more than it is true. Not seeing who’s singing strips that all away which feels quite appropriate and fresh for Wales, even if the Voice has been around for longer than it should have been.

That added to the announcement of Bryn Terfel as a mentor makes me feel (hope?) this could be more than just a second rate remake, but rather something tailored to the Welsh community and a celebration of its own particular music culture and history.

I am, however, prepared to be disappointed!

RE: S4C Programming - Jon - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 10:39 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Really surprised. Not sure it is what it needs really as the English version is hardly a ratings winner. Guess it will be filmed on the ITV set?

Opera singer Sir Bryn Terfel the first confirmed judge. Has there been classical musicians on it in other formats? Can't think of any judges in the UK version.
I don’t think S4C are producing entertainment programmes to be ‘ratings winners’, they’re producing them because they have a pot of money and they have to do something with it. It has a bit of brand recognition and will probably see more interest than a more generic Welsh music show they might have commissioned instead.

RE: S4C Programming - Brekkie - 03-05-2024

It's potentially a format that could work well for S4C but highlights how far the global format has fallen if S4C can afford the rights. Possibly the first big global format to get a Welsh adaptation - S4C usually do their own thing. They did Wawffactor from 2003 for three series - Duffy was runner up in the first series.

RE: S4C Programming - Flux - 03-05-2024

(03-05-2024, 07:07 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's potentially a format that could work well for S4C but highlights how far the global format has fallen if S4C can afford the rights. Possibly the first big global format to get a Welsh adaptation - S4C usually do their own thing. They did Wawffactor from 2003 for three series - Duffy was runner up in the first series.

And in their defence, Wawffactor pre-dates X Factor (though it was a rip-off of Pop Idol).

At least this time they’ve gone for the real deal rather than just making a similar show with format tweaks.

I wonder how much the success of Gogglebocs has fed into this decision? The brand recognition has certainly helped ensure their version has been a hit.

RE: S4C Programming - lookoutwales - 03-05-2024

There was also a Welsh version of Mastermind with Betsan Powys for a few years - briefly revived during Covid but it's since disappeared again (in both cases, produced by BBC Cymru rather than farmed out to Hat Trick as per the network version)

Considering the recent turmoil within the channel, this almost certainly feels like it's been taken up where both Sian Doyle and Llinos Griffin-Williams left off with their more outward-looking push (is that tie-up with Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort still a thing?)

And of course, we're in the middle of an interim period so far as those in management are concerned (Sioned William has just begun her role as temporary CEO, for instance) - so I wonder if the next regime at S4C, whenever they emerge, would be so willing to buy in a format that has seen better days.

RE: S4C Programming - XIII - 03-05-2024

The Voice is going to a hard programme to find people who can sing and speak Welsh and judges who can sing and speak Welsh.

Is Gogglebocs just Welsh programming?

RE: S4C Programming - Brekkie - 03-05-2024

(03-05-2024, 01:00 PM)XIII Wrote:  The Voice is going to a hard programme to find people who can sing and speak Welsh and judges who can sing and speak Welsh.
Have you never heard of Wales?

RE: S4C Programming - Jon - 03-05-2024

(03-05-2024, 01:00 PM)XIII Wrote:  The Voice is going to a hard programme to find people who can sing and speak Welsh and judges who can sing and speak Welsh.
I don’t know how you think S4C has survived for the past 41 years. Don’t forget learning Welsh is compulsory in schools in Wales so even if most people use English as their main language there are plenty of people who can speak Welsh. So when the only broadcast platform they can get on mandates it, they’ll be fine.

As for Gogglebocs, I’ve only ever seen it briefly. But I’d imagine they watch English laungauge programmes as well, as otherwise they’d only ever be watching S4C content which would be quite limited.

RE: S4C Programming - Flux - 03-05-2024

Sorry, but this is a preposterous comment. The Welsh language is alive and spoken as a first language throughout the country, and vocal music is ingrained in its culture with children competing at large national cultural festivals from an early age. Wales has its own music scene, unique vocal and instrumental traditions, 2x national radio stations, countless concerts and gigs, national and regional theatre companies and at least two large annual cultural festivals where people of all ages compete and perform - all predominantly in the Welsh language.

It is not going to be hard to find people and judges who can sing and speak Welsh.

RE: S4C Programming - JAS84 - 03-05-2024

Heck, maybe they can get Tom Jones (a coach on the ITV version of The Voice) to do double duty and do the same role on the Welsh version. He's Welsh after all.