Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 12:59 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Apple store circa 2012, recreated by B&M Bargains sticky back plastic kitchen unit renovation kit.

Using identical wood tones as wall, desk and floor elements is a very odd choice

That seems somewhat harsh. I don’t agree, but differences in opinions are obviously a good thing.

Besides, Apple has always utilised excellent design aesthetics, their leading position as the biggest or second biggest company in world should evidence that. I’m not sure what B&M stores they have near you, but they must be fancy.

Actually, I get what you’re saying, but using same materials across a design is sensible and widely used. Whether it’s the same stone on the floor as the walls as the work surfaces. Using multiple tones of wood on that space would not have worked. Another material such as glass perhaps.

Ultimately, some people (and this isn’t directed at any one person), have moaned incessantly about the blandness of the glass box and that a newsroom style set would be much better, we’ll now there is one and I’m sure those same people complain that it looks like an office. What exactly do people expect a newsroom to look like? A NASA. I trip room? It is an office where people work.

I happen to think it looks pretty good, they’re constrained by the premises I’m sure but it’s a fresh look from recent years. Nothing wrong with retro, especially as some keep glaring back to 2005 and the vivid set they used then.

Presentation is better, I’m sure it will work more smoothly in time as they get used to it as well. Plus with the impending main set as well I’m sure it’ll all come together.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 15-01-2024

The Breakfast 6am hour reminds me of some US local morning shows that have a warm-up duo for the first hour or two, then they get the main anchors on when more people are watching. It's common on Fox O&Os because they don't have a syndicated morning show, so don't want to burn out the anchors from 4am-10am for example.

The warm-up presenters on the Fox station I'm thinking of then have other roles for the rest of the morning.

RE: Sky News - Andy - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 12:40 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  It’s so unlike Sky News to have a completely underwhelming relaunch.

Getting travel agents vibes from that set.

Honestly, what did you expect?

You got a look at the set with the trails last week. It's been stated by Sky that this is somewhat 'temporary' with a new studio to follow 'in the coming months.'

I don't know how you could be 'whelmed', let alone under or overwhelmed at it.

(15-01-2024, 01:14 PM)Craigwills Wrote:  I’ll second the comment from above that I’m not sure what Wilfred Frost’s role in this breakfast show is… From what we’ve seen today, he doesn’t have one? If a preview during one programme for the upcoming one means you’re part of the preceding show, then Tom Bradby can probably count himself as part of the Coronation Street cast on some nights at least.

I was expecting that Gareth may have finished at 9am, and Wilfred filled his role during the last hour.

True, he appeared twice and both times it seemed a bit pointless. Better they just cover the days agenda themselves or make a more prominent role for him.

Maybe they are trying to use him to attract CNBC viewers who are already familiar with him?

RE: Sky News - UTVLifer - 15-01-2024

Intrigued to see how the new studio will get used for the Politics Hub - and later in the week, Friday Night with Niall and the Sunday morning show

RE: Sky News - matthieu1221 - 15-01-2024

Good to see that some chairs got shipped in between the promo being filmed and the launch today!

RE: Sky News - Brekkie - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 01:13 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  Here's a supercut of different angles, presenting areas, etc.
https://youtu.be/L7i_a1HuONI 
Have they only got the vertical screens now then?

The real backdrop looks so much better though than all screens, although isn't this just an interim set?

RE: Sky News - UTVLifer - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 03:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have they only got the vertical screens now then?

The real backdrop looks so much better though than all screens, although isn't this just an interim set?

Correct, this is just an interim set until the main Millbank studio has been refreshed

(15-01-2024, 03:36 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Good to see that some chairs got shipped in between the promo being filmed and the launch today!

Chairs were in the promo, as Mhari, Gareth and Wilfred were sitting down, it was just Kay that stood - presumably because she walked in the give an introduction to the new set and newsroom.

RE: Sky News - blue_dust - 15-01-2024

And I like it so much that I fear the proper set won’t be as good with all the nice backdrops they can create from that rather open space.