Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - ginnyfan - 18-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 09:30 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I actually like the Westminster studio with the newsroom. its certainly not perfect. I think they should have rethought the florescent lights and come up with a nicer solution than that. And I do agree about the building old windows on display. I wonder if their was a nicer solution. But here we are. I think it looks good. And is miles better than the Tesco/Mental Hospital cube studio. Not my favourite. But creatively things are looking up at SkyNews FINALLY.

l like the old windows, remind me of BBC's old Westminster newsroom.

RE: Sky News - Lec_Ver16 - 19-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 09:56 PM)derek500 Wrote:  It might be paywalled. Here's a snippet:-

There are now signs that Murdoch is turning his attention elsewhere. Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News UK, has recently been in talks with GB News about a possible deal.

It is believed to be the third such approach to the rival channel, which is owned by Paul Marshall and Dubai-based investment firm Legatum, all of which have so far been rebuffed. GB News is currently in talks to raise around £30m of fresh funding.

In a more radical move, The Telegraph has learnt that Murdoch is mulling a swoop to buy back Sky News from Comcast, six years after he sold it to the US media group.

Comcast has drastically written down the value of Sky and is obliged to keep funding the news channel until 2028, so may be keen to offload it. However, there is no sign that Comcast is a willing seller.

Murdoch would also likely face significant regulatory hurdles if he attempted such a move.

A spokesman denied News UK was exploring a bid.

If this would ever go ahead, i imagine that the channel would need to change the name and move their studios again.

RE: Sky News - CATV - 19-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 09:56 PM)derek500 Wrote:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/01/17/rupert-murdoch-talk-tv-losing-ratings-war-gb-news/ 

It might be paywalled. Here's a snippet:-

There are now signs that Murdoch is turning his attention elsewhere. Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News UK, has recently been in talks with GB News about a possible deal.

It is believed to be the third such approach to the rival channel, which is owned by Paul Marshall and Dubai-based investment firm Legatum, all of which have so far been rebuffed. GB News is currently in talks to raise around £30m of fresh funding.

In a more radical move, The Telegraph has learnt that Murdoch is mulling a swoop to buy back Sky News from Comcast, six years after he sold it to the US media group.

Comcast has drastically written down the value of Sky and is obliged to keep funding the news channel until 2028, so may be keen to offload it. However, there is no sign that Comcast is a willing seller.

Murdoch would also likely face significant regulatory hurdles if he attempted such a move.

A spokesman denied News UK was exploring a bid.

Thank you Derek for this.

It all interesting. Stranger things have happened.

RE: Sky News - interestednovice - 19-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 06:42 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  You can do analysis with the balcony set up. It might not look as nice as with big screens for infographics but it's not the lack of a proper set that's preventing it.

Sky is certainly also an alternative internationally to the BBC where available. Always found their international coverage top-rate. Certainly doesn't show that they are a smaller operation internationally.

I agree with you on all of this, and Sky’s international operation is also good.

What I really meant was not that doing proper analysis would be physically impossible for the BBC, more that it was difficult given the overall low level of resources dedicated towards the balcony setup - especially in a breaking news situation, potentially, as they would only have extra hands on deck if a “planned opt” was taking place.

RE: Sky News - Global TV - 19-01-2024

How is this new Breakfast working in the ratings?

RE: Sky News - Charles - 19-01-2024

It's really nice to see a bright, active newsroom backdrop on Sky for the first time in a while. I know newsroom backdrops fell out of favor during the pandemic, but I still think it's nice to have a backdrop that's real and forever changing. An all-video wall backdrop with some solid colors or a skyline photo feels like the presenter could be in a studio anywhere.

I will say that the whole setup feels a bit snug for an ensemble morning program, but I guess that can be forgiven if this is only temporary. It'll probably be a good set for a single-presenter midday program.

Gareth Barlow is also a great addition – more of him please!

RE: Sky News - Stuart - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 10:32 AM)Charles Wrote:  An all-video wall backdrop with some solid colors or a skyline photo feels like the presenter could be in a studio anywhere.
For the purposes of imparting news to me, they could be in a studio anywhere on the planet. Providing me with explanatory graphics or DTL interviews on a screen behind them adds value to me in some of their reports.

Seeing the back of someone's head in an office while they eat their lunch, getting back to their desk after a toilet break or typing up some copy is no more important to me than when I glance out of my office window during the day.

Frankly, I don't care what complete strangers are doing walking down the street either.

RE: Sky News - Charles - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 10:51 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Providing me with explanatory graphics or DTL interviews on a screen behind them adds value to me in some of their reports.

I agree that this is one weakness of this set – it looks like there are just two relatively small vertical monitors. Having a big horizontal monitor or video wall off to the side would be nice to have as an option to do visual standups. And that's also why I think this set would be perfect for a midday rolling news block with a single anchor where there isn't a ton of that kind of stuff anyway.

Maybe a newsroom backdrop is just another office space to some people. Still, I think it's a nice visual reminder to communicate to viewers that the program they're watching is part of a larger news operation. There's an entire crew of people off-camera working hard to gather the news. Media literacy and trust in media is so low that I don't think we can take that for granted. I think there are sadly enough people out there who will cynically call the news "fake" if they think the content is "fake" and see only one presenter on air with a boring "fake" backdrop behind them. In their view, what makes that any different from someone doing the same thing on YouTube in their basement?

RE: Sky News - Stockland Hillman - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 11:08 AM)Charles Wrote:  I agree that this is one weakness of this set – it looks like there are just two relatively small vertical monitors. Having a big horizontal monitor or video wall off to the side would be nice to have as an option to do visual standups. And that's also why I think this set would be perfect for a midday rolling news block with a single anchor where there isn't a ton of that kind of stuff anyway.

Maybe a newsroom backdrop is just another office space to some people. Still, I think it's a nice visual reminder to communicate to viewers that the program they're watching is part of a larger news operation. There's an entire crew of people off-camera working hard to gather the news. Media literacy and trust in media is so low that I don't think we can take that for granted. I think there are sadly enough people out there who will cynically call the news "fake" if they think the content is "fake" and see only one presenter on air with a boring "fake" backdrop behind them. In their view, what makes that any different from someone doing the same thing on YouTube in their basement?

Bingo. That's a very astute observation and something some highly paid broadcast consultants have pitched.

All things can be faked, with much less effort these days, but you can sort both sides of the trust problem by placing the story within real - randomly moving environments, ideally with stedicam style shooting to make it very hard to recreate as fake news. It gives subconscious signs of reality to the viewer and shows a bigger scale organisation responsible for the content.

Fakes or low trust sources are static greenscreen shots of generic distant newsrooms or looping graphics; sometimes with mockup gfx of a trusted news source - it's easy to do and low effort/cost.

Want to build trust, then show the whole production process (sonething like v1 Channel 5 news at least) Shoot as dynamically as possible.

Humans are wired to see other humans in an environment, and can spot incongreguities with a picture. So it's vital that news organisations build trust by projecting its scale, and with a consistent visual language (its why the slack brand standards of the BBC are actually a bad thing, not because they annoy anoraks but they undermine the ability of real people to start identifying fakes)

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 19-01-2024

Personally for me its a working newsroom any day. I agree there is a comfort know there a big organization behind whats being read behind that desk. The movement of people of monitors behind the presenter isnt that distracting to me. Im not a squirrel. Today seemingly any shifty fly-by-night group or government can set up a monitor wall and desk and read whatever they want and call themselves a 24hr news channel. Since CNN started in the 80s the are hundreds of these channels all over the world. No its not just a newsroom, but for me it add an air of credibility. Its my personal preference presentation-wise. It gives the channel an air of authority. (I lament the closing of CNN Center and its grand newsroom)
https://www.newscaststudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/lrg-717-sky_14.jpg 
This is sleep inducing and soul-less.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnMt6w5zSrZTEtULEsQ1cHnNclR8MrAx9O7w&usqp=CAU 
Im mean.....
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNo-3-2gAn5GjHD5I72vo9-Ov3ZONIHlJzWA&usqp=CAU 

Im so happy SkyNews is adding colour and warming up their studios and presentation spaces. Its long overdue.