Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Kojak - 07-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 10:21 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 02:18 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I think the journalism is certainly the best it's ever been - you're right there. I don't know if it's necessarily that they have surpassed the BBC, or that the BBC's standards have slipped slightly due to less money/resources - probably a bit of both.

Look, I certainly don't think Sky News is bad, editorially or presentationally. As bland as I personally find it now, they do still innovate a lot, like with the daily Ukraine explainers at the big screen. It is much more substance over style now, which is obviously correct. Despite my earlier messianic rants (which I apologise for!) there's actually not a lot wrong with Sky News. It's just that some of their presentation is not to my taste. But they have a style and are sticking to it, which is good, I guess.
Bland is a very appropriate word for the Sky News of 2023. Very good for politics or when Alex Crawford or Stuart Ramsay in on screen, but just rather beige otherwise in their onscreen look, most of the presentation and their insipid, uninspired paper review slot.

I don't like the press previews either, but I suspect they are (sadly) here to stay, for three reasons:
1) they are cheap to make
2) they get engagement on socials and (I think) generally rate well
3) BBC has axed theirs, so Sky now has a monopoly

My issue with them is that a lot of the people they book for these reviews are booked to start a row, rather than provide any useful insight. I'd prefer more analysis, personally, from experts on whatever the top stories are that night - though I realise that probably wouldn't get anywhere near the engagement that the press previews do!

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 07-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 02:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 06:00 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I think the pacing in particular is quite off. It's one thing to be sensationalist, another one to be engaging. Clearly there has been a massive success in Sky's non-television formats, notably TikTok, so clearly they are doing something right there which is encouraging a lot of younger audiences to the news. Social media and television, are very well two different target audiences and mediums, but clearly something in their social media input is catching eyes and may well be replicable to some extent on TV?

As a former international viewer from outside the UK, I've always found Sky to be very strong with international stories, even pre-Ukraine, a big advantage when many domestic news channels don't usually have the same amount of resources. The HK coverage on Hotspots in particular was great. Personally, I think that's where Sky really shines. It's engaging, interesting, and you really learn something from it.

The everyday news coverage is dull but editorially, pretty much beyond reproach. If it works for them, so be it, but I do think it could be made more lively (I'm a big fan of duos on TV!) without compromising on quality journalism.

Inspired by something I mentioned on the BBC thread - I think something like this is what I'd like to see return:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CCoUa4WK0 

I'm certainly not saying copy that shot-for-shot - what I am saying is take some inspiration from that style and bring it into now. I know in 2023, brash and bold is out, and sober and 'grown-up' is in, so you'd have to adapt it to current norms and tastes. Look at the BBC and their gorgeous new studio B for inspiration (not something I ever thought I'd say!).

I can’t keep up with that. Far too much going on.

RE: Sky News - Richard H - 08-02-2023

Sky's coverage on the events in Turkey and Syria has been very good and I appreciate this is a very minor complaint but I'm surprised that after 24 hours nobody has straightened the location text on the live feed of the rescue operation on the left of the screen. Not only is the text on an angle but the letters are also different heights as the word goes on

RE: Sky News - thegeek - 08-02-2023

(07-02-2023, 10:47 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 02:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Inspired by something I mentioned on the BBC thread - I think something like this is what I'd like to see return:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CCoUa4WK0 

I'm certainly not saying copy that shot-for-shot - what I am saying is take some inspiration from that style and bring it into now. I know in 2023, brash and bold is out, and sober and 'grown-up' is in, so you'd have to adapt it to current norms and tastes. Look at the BBC and their gorgeous new studio B for inspiration (not something I ever thought I'd say!).

I can’t keep up with that. Far too much going on.
The headline sequence was a bit OTT, but that era of Sky News felt really fresh and dynamic, and wasn't just two presenters stuck behind a desk all the time. Martin Stanford was great at explainers at the newswall (including, occasionally, "let's roll out the floor map" - which was what we'd now call an AR graphic over the newsroom, and, I think on one occasion 3D fighter jets flying through it); doorstepping journalists at their desks for more context on stories; random use of the pole cam; and it being really pacey with, say, the sports presenter throwing straight to the weather.

It all felt a bit like John Riley was getting to play with lots of toys in advance of their move to the big new studio - but then they took it a bit too far and lost it slightly with three presenters and a spinning desk and what felt like less actual news on the running order. And now we've gone to the opposite extreme with only one presenter stuck behind a desk. 
Perhaps there is room for a happy medium.

RE: Sky News - Skygeek - 08-02-2023

(08-02-2023, 07:31 AM)thegeek Wrote:  It all felt a bit like John Riley was getting to play with lots of toys in advance of their move to the big new studio - but then they took it a bit too far and lost it slightly with three presenters and a spinning desk and what felt like less actual news on the running order. And now we've gone to the opposite extreme with only one presenter stuck behind a desk. 
Perhaps there is room for a happy medium.
John Ryley wasn't in charge at that time.

RE: Sky News - thegeek - 09-02-2023

fair point, though he was there!

RE: Sky News - bob - 09-02-2023

(09-02-2023, 01:08 PM)thegeek Wrote:  fair point, though he was there!
He was there, he was the deputy to Nick Pollard

RE: Sky News - Craigwills - 16-02-2023

Slightly strange scheduling overnight, Vanessa did the Midnight hour from Osterley but then Nick Quraishi took over at 1am from Westminister. Vanessa then returned for The Early Rundown.

I was expecting a major story to break or something.

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 17-02-2023

Sky stick with rolling coverage of US court hearings and news conferences for far too long.

RE: Sky News - Stuart - 19-02-2023

Technical issues during a DTL with Rees-Mogg on 'Sophy Ridge on Sunday' led to an unscheduled commercial break this morning.  The programme is normally ad-free.

Unfortunately, as it's half term it was presented by Trevor 'Umm Umm' Phillips, who always looks like a rabbit caught in car headlights if anything ever goes slightly awry.  Sophy would probably have just ad-libbed or smoothly moved on to the next interview/story.