Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 24-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 05:50 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Wilfred Frost is returning to NYC for 4 weeks a year with CNBC starting tomorrow
https://twitter.com/WilfredFrost/status/1771936028820975847?t=gUuLNRn06gQCtnzNxrReiA&s=19 

He seems to always get super excited by business news. I wonder why he went to Sky from CNBC in the first place. But yet a sign of further cross-pollination between the two sister news groups.

(24-03-2024, 05:03 PM)Craigwills Wrote:  Tom Heap just said it’s the final edition of the climate show just now on Sky News. Not in schedules for next week. I must admit the weekend editions were decent, I suppose highlights shows are cheaper.

I’m not surprised to be honest. I guess that money could be better spent elsewhere. Either a broader science news related weekly programme, or a weekend world news programme with someone skilled like Barbera Serra who is already in the books

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 24-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 06:39 PM)Neon Pig Wrote:  He seems to always get super excited by business news. I wonder why he went to Sky from CNBC in the first place. But yet a sign of further cross-pollination between the two sister news groups.

Just makes sense to use the people you already have in your stable. Great move. Hopefully NBC and Sky with be tighter than FNC and SkyNews ever were. Ideologically they were at odds. So I can see why SkyNews really only colabbed with FNC when it was necessary.
Kinda makes you wonder if there was a collective sigh of relief when they were no longer tied its former corporate cousin. I wonder if Comcast/NBC/Universal is salivating at a way to jettison SkyNews AU from using the brand.

(24-03-2024, 08:09 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Just makes sense to use the people you already have in your stable. Great move. Hopefully NBC and Sky with be tighter than FNC and SkyNews ever were. Ideologically they were at odds. So I can see why SkyNews really only colabbed with FNC when it was necessary.
Kinda makes you wonder if there was a collective sigh of relief when they were no longer tied its former corporate cousin. I wonder if Comcast/NBC/Universal is salivating at a way to jettison SkyNews AU from using the brand.

I was literally just thinking that. Surely there has to be a way to reclaim the name, it seems so misaligned and potentially very confusing in terms of brand. Not that SNAU gets much traction globally, but should it ever, the average Joe/Jo isn’t going to know that the two channels are more like divorced spouses with irreconcilable differences rather than very close siblings that get along just dandy.

I’ve said this before and I can imagine David Rhodes may want closer alignment between the wider Sky News group in terms of cohesions. He often tweets about TG24.

RE: Sky News - bkman1990 - 24-03-2024

It is already getting very obvious now that Sky News Australia is a completely different beast to that of Sky News in the UK.

Why on earth would Rupert Murdoch actually want to keep the Sky News brand going in Australia now when a renowned rival broadcaster from the U.S. officially owns his original incarnation of it that was setup by Murdoch himself in the UK in the later part of the 1980's. If people now are not fully clued into this situation in 2024 and are now starting to face up to the reality that Sky News in the UK is not owned by Rupert Murdoch at this point in time; would they care to actually take any notice of it at this point.

I would doubt that people would understand the differences between them when the brand currently has two very conflicting agenda's at play when providing a news broadcasting service to wider members of the public. One version of this channel, namely Sky News Australia, has a more extreme news agenda after a certain time in the late evening to viewers who live down under. The other, Sky News UK, offers a more balanced & unbiased form of news that is more credible and much more reliable to it's own audience who live in the UK & in the wider EU.

There was some plan proposed a few years ago that Sky News Australia was going to rebrand to Foxtel News Channel. However; that plan never went to fruition.

Would that plan still go ahead with Murdoch if he was happy with permanently divorcing from Sky altogether?

RE: Sky News - sky303 - 24-03-2024

My guess is that Sky News (Australia) is a well known brand and known to its viewers and that a new name might risk their audience. Especially in this time period, they'd be afraid of getting rid of brand equity that's been built up. Both Sky News are mostly contained to their countries, but the real confusion would be social media videos and to outsiders of either country or other countries who don't really know the ownerships of channels and would think they are the same thing.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 25-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 10:41 PM)sky303 Wrote:  My guess is that Sky News (Australia) is a well known brand and known to its viewers and that a new name might risk their audience. Especially in this time period, they'd be afraid of getting rid of brand equity that's been built up. Both Sky News are mostly contained to their countries, but the real confusion would be social media videos and to outsiders of either country or other countries who don't really know the ownerships of channels and would think they are the same thing.

Sky News Australia get around that by branding the channel as Australia Channel outside Australia and NZ.

RE: Sky News - Charles - 25-03-2024

IMO Wilfred sometimes looks a little bored on Sky News. His newsblock that he has to himself is perfectly fine, and he does a great job. As people on here have pointed out, it's strange that he's billed as being part of the Breakfast show when he really just does a long and unrehearsed tease for his own news hour on it, which just feels a bit awkward and out of place. He also didn't seem super pleased to be filling in for Gareth Barlow for a few days earlier this month.

I really liked him on CNBC. The pairing of him with Sara Eisen on Closing Bell was a really good one. I can't help but wonder if he only made the move to London for personal reasons and not for any kind of desire to career pivot away from business news.

RE: Sky News - kookaburra - 25-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 09:44 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  It is already getting very obvious now that Sky News Australia is a completely different beast to that of Sky News in the UK.

Why on earth would Rupert Murdoch actually want to keep the Sky News brand going in Australia now when a renowned rival broadcaster from the U.S. officially owns his original incarnation of it that was setup by Murdoch himself in the UK in the later part of the 1980's. If people now are not fully clued into this situation in 2024 and are now starting to face up to the reality that Sky News in the UK is not owned by Rupert Murdoch at this point in time; would they care to actually take any notice of it at this point.

I would doubt that people would understand the differences between them when the brand currently has two very conflicting agenda's at play when providing a news broadcasting service to wider members of the public. One version of this channel, namely Sky News Australia, has a more extreme news agenda after a certain time in the late evening to viewers who live down under. The other, Sky News UK, offers a more balanced & unbiased form of news that is more credible and much more reliable to it's own audience who live in the UK & in the wider EU.

There was some plan proposed a few years ago that Sky News Australia was going to rebrand to Foxtel News Channel. However; that plan never went to fruition.

Would that plan still go ahead with Murdoch if he was happy with permanently divorcing from Sky altogether?

Sky News Australia has a tiny audience in Australia. For a few years its dayside programming was well regarded by political freaks and staffers but it’s after dark programming saw an end to that.

Its main audience now is Americans watching its clips on YouTube. The separation from the Fox brand probably helps them as the conspiracy theorist far right types who lap it up can point to this is another source saying what Fox says.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 25-03-2024

(25-03-2024, 08:46 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  Sky News Australia has a tiny audience in Australia. For a few years its dayside programming was well regarded by political freaks and staffers but it’s after dark programming saw an end to that.

Its main audience now is Americans watching its clips on YouTube. The separation from the Fox brand probably helps them as the conspiracy theorist far right types who lap it up can point to this is another source saying what Fox says.

Ultra Conservative Americans. Lets be clear.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/how-sky-news-s-us-centric-digital-play-is-fracturing-its-newsroom-20230925-p5e7f4.html