Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - SB678 - 06-07-2023

Sky News were in the middle of showing a Beth Rigby Interviews with Wes Streeting and in the middle of Wes answering a question, the channel abruptly cut to an ad break. I thought it was a mistake at first and they would quickly return to show but the break played out in full and now Gillian Joseph is on?

RE: Sky News - Gibsy - 06-07-2023

I thought the same thing, strange

RE: Sky News - AllanTheScot - 06-07-2023

It happened a bit thos afternoon when weather then ads kicked in abruptly on Anna Jones just before the 4.30pm Business Live show.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 10-07-2023

Geeez . Watching the Breaking News coverage of the BBC News scandal/story...... and they keep bringing on PR experts. But Zero lawyers to talk about and clearly break down whats actually happening. Mhhh. At this point the PR stuff is important but the law aspect seems to be playing second fiddle in the coverage. Odd guest selection frankly.

EDIT: Finally a media lawyer. Ehhh

RE: Sky News - Skygeek - 10-07-2023

(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Geeez . Watching the Breaking News coverage of the BBC News scandal/story...... and they keep bringing on PR experts. But Zero lawyers to talk about and clearly break down whats actually happening. Mhhh. At this point the PR stuff is important but the law aspect seems to be playing second fiddle in the coverage. Odd guest selection frankly.

EDIT: Finally a media lawyer. Ehhh

Mouseboy in "erroneously taking the moral high-ground purely because he isn't instantly satisfied" shocker.

(Sky has had lawyers on all weekend. I booked one of them myself.)

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 10-07-2023

Well Too bad SkyGeek wasnt in the booking department today, when they need a on-air lawyer on staff to wheel out on breaking stories.

(10-07-2023, 08:07 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Well Too bad SkyGeek wasnt in the booking department today, when they need a on-air lawyer on staff to wheel out on breaking stories.

What I believe Americans call "Monday morning quarterbacking".

How on Earth do you know what my colleagues did or didn't do in their off-screen efforts today?

Go on. Tell us.

As is the case with your contributions at Pres Cafe's forerunners, high-handed expectations combined with negligible experience of what it takes to actually make live TV adds up to an unedifying spectacle.

RE: Sky News - Stockland Hillman - 10-07-2023

(10-07-2023, 08:07 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Well Too bad SkyGeek wasnt in the booking department today, when they need a on-air lawyer on staff to wheel out on breaking stories.

Let's clear up a cultural UK v US thing. Here lawyers tend to be more low key and circumspect with opinions; we don't have a self promotion culture - you'd rarely if ever see a legal ad with a qualified legal person fronting it touting for business - a staple of US local TV.

As a result of the culture,  lawyers are less "good tv"  as unlike their US counterparts they're not self promoting with TV friendly sound bites to get talking head bookings and thus more trade.

UK law is also more complex than US in what can be said about allegations,  plus privacy rights and defamation law is stronger here. [Applies also to live shots, crime reports etc, which is why these make up less airtime in UK]

In this case we have a complainant who's not the 'victim', a very carefully worded story that doesn't actually claim sexual pictures were solicited of a minor when they were one, the use of the phase 'child' is in context of the parent not the legal age of the supposed 'victim', and now the outright denial of the story by the 'victim'; also now the fact the police are not investigating.

Thus the story is 25% dry legal facts and 75% about the PR issues.   In this case Sky News has it right

(10-07-2023, 08:35 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Let's clear up a cultural UK v US thing. Here lawyers tend to be more low key and circumspect with opinions; we don't have a self promotion culture - you'd rarely if ever see a legal ad with a qualified legal person fronting it touting for business - a staple of US local TV.

As a result of the culture,  lawyers are less "good tv"  as unlike their US counterparts they're not self promoting with TV friendly sound bites to get talking head bookings and thus more trade.

UK law is also more complex than US in what can be said about allegations,  plus privacy rights and defamation law is stronger here.

In this case we have a complainant who's not the 'victim', a very carefully worded story that doesn't actually claim sexual pictures were solicited of a minor when they were one, the use of the phase 'child' is in context of the parent not the legal age of the supposed 'victim', and now the outright denial of the story by the 'victim'; also now the fact the police are not investigating.

Thus the story is 25% dry legal facts and 75% about the PR issues.   In this case Sky News has it right

Exactly - thank you, Stockland. 

Many of the people I spoke to yesterday simply said not enough cold hard facts were known to make them comfortable with providing sound analysis.

Commendable restraint from which certain people would do well to learn.

RE: Sky News - bilky asko - 10-07-2023

From the coverage I've seen, on different channels, the types of guests speaking on this has been quite broad, and of an entirely appropriate calibre.