Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 14-07-2023

Guido Fawkes is reporting that Trevor Phillips will take over the Sunday show which is an unsurprising appointment if correct.

Sophy Ridge has confirmed that her show will be Monday-Friday from 7pm so that will also presumably end The Take that airs on a Wednesday. I must say it's good to see a daily politics show back on Sky News, I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I have actually seen less of Sky News since All Out Politics ended probably because I have been one of these hardcore political viewers so I end up relying on Politics Live. If anything, this is a promotion for Sophy Ridge getting a daily show rather than just the main Sunday political show. It's something that I can tune in for on a daily basis again as well.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 14-07-2023

I'd like to hope that the new daily Ridge show carries on the same format as The Take.

Presuambly the reason why it's at 7, so they can continue the appointment to view slot at 9?

RE: Sky News - Former Member 237 - 14-07-2023

I remember when Trevor Phillips was first announced to take over from SR for maternity leave, there were pages and pages of dribble about how it was the wrong choice. He turned out very well and is now rewarded. Sky can be brave when they want to be.

RE: Sky News - Stuart - 15-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 08:12 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I remember when Trevor Phillips was first announced to take over from SR for maternity leave, there were pages and pages of drivel about how it was the wrong choice. He turned out very well and is now rewarded. Sky can be brave when they want to be. (amended from dribble)
I am sure Trevor Phillips is a very intelligent and competent presenter, but I just can't cope with his rather odd delivery style where most sentences have to include "umm, umm" for some reason.

If ever anything goes wrong with a DTL he's like a rabbit caught in car headlights and they have to throw to an unscheduled commercial break.  I've never managed to make it to the end of one of his programmes.

I guess I'm down to just LK on Sunday mornings, and I'm not over-enamoured with that either. Confused

RE: Sky News - Brekkie - 15-07-2023

I've not seen much of him presenting at all but I have the same issue with him hosting a flagship political news show as I do with all the politicians hired by GB News and Talk TV. Indeed in this case he'd be a better hire for GB News as some kind of balance across the schedule (because one Labour led show balances out 10 Tory hosted shows of course).

Indeed hope we don't see Sky commissioning a Tory-led show to balance this one out. If that happens the industry is well and truly lost.

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 16-07-2023

Sophy Ridge confirmed on her final show this morning that Trevor Phillips will take over her Sunday show from September.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1680481250555973632?s=20 

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 16-07-2023

Double great news. More Sophy midweek is brilliant - she’s the best political interviewer right now. Big fan of Trevor too. I think some here can get hung up on him not being the most polished presenter, but I think the best presenters are those who come across as knowledgable rather than being perfect autocue readers. See also Tom Bradby.

RE: Sky News - Pips2022 - 16-07-2023

Trevor is an improvement on Sophy, but I’m so over these Sunday morning interview shows. I’ve recently given-up on LK after more than 30 years of watching these shows consistently, from the teenage me watching TV-am’s Frost on Sunday onwards. Our currently over-exposed, not-fascinating politicians are mostly to blame, but I do think these current iterations of the show are quite uninspired. LK is the worst version of any of these formats.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 16-07-2023

Now Sophy's gone, I'm likely just to watch the BBC One regional politics show on a Sunday and just use social media or YouTube to watch interviews from Trevor's new show.

The BBC's methods of making their political output unwatcahable has been a thing since Politics Live replaced The Daily Politics, with the Kuenssberg show being the icing on the cake.

All it needs is a paper review, a couple of political interviews and a culture segment. I don't need to see contributors on PL and Kuenssberg giving their opinion on what was just said.

Laura was an excellent Pol Ed, but as a presenter, it doesn't work for me.

RE: Sky News - UTVLifer - 16-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 06:23 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Now Sophy's gone, I'm likely just to watch the BBC One regional politics show on a Sunday and just use social media or YouTube to watch interviews from Trevor's new show.

The BBC's methods of making their political output unwatcahable has been a thing since Politics Live replaced The Daily Politics, with the Kuenssberg show being the icing on the cake.

All it needs is a paper review, a couple of political interviews and a culture segment.  I don't need to see contributors on PL and Kuenssberg giving their opinion on what was just said.

Laura was an excellent Pol Ed, but as a presenter, it doesn't work for me.

I have to agree with all of this

Putting Laura K on Sunday mornings felt like a natural step after Marr's departure, but her presenting style has always seemed more used to documentaries than the live Sunday morning show. I only usually tune in now if either the PM or Starmer is on the show. I've normally stuck with Sophy Ridge so I'll give Trevor a go in September otherwise I'll just stick to Twitter