Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Andrew - 16-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 09:34 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I have to agree with all of this

Putting Laura K on Sunday mornings felt like a natural step after Marr's departure, but her presenting style has always seemed more used to documentaries than the live Sunday morning show. I only usually tune in now if either the PM or Starmer is on the show. I've normally stuck with Sophy Ridge so I'll give Trevor a go in September otherwise I'll just stick to Twitter

It’s too heavy and too cold a show now. The culture bit is often shoehorned in (and seemed to b about space travel half the time) and never seems right delivered in Laura’s tone of voice and in front of the panel of political commentators.

If they’d have just sat Laura in Andrew Marr’s format I think it might have worked better

And also as mentioned, there are so many politics shows now with guest panels to appear on, the same faces appear on many of them every week. You never seem more than a few days away from Lisa Nandy.

RE: Sky News - TIGHazard - 16-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 10:18 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s too heavy and too cold a show now. The culture bit is often shoehorned in (and seemed to b about space travel half the time) and never seems right delivered in Laura’s tone of voice and in front of the panel of political commentators.

If they’d have just sat Laura in Andrew Marr’s format I think it might have worked better

And also as mentioned, there are so many politics shows now with guest panels to appear on, the same faces appear on many of them every week. You never seem more than a few days away from Lisa Nandy.

We're a long way since the early 90's when Sky News simply repeated the BBC's Breakfast with Frost.

[Image: ROtbvAb.png]

RE: Sky News - freeview87 - 17-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 10:56 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  We're a long way since the early 90's when Sky News simply repeated the BBC's Breakfast with Frost.

[Image: ROtbvAb.png]

Another one to add to my list of things i never knew ocurred.

How long did that last?

RE: Sky News - Brekkie - 17-07-2023

TBH I've never really seen the appeal of the Sunday morning political shows even when we had first class presenters interviewing competent politicians. The short clips are painful enough.

RE: Sky News - VMPhil - 18-07-2023

(17-07-2023, 09:48 AM)freeview87 Wrote:  Another one to add to my list of things i never knew ocurred.

How long did that last?

Presumably up until the point when the BBC could afford to equal his TV-am salary?

Interesting that bit about GMTV saying they turned down his offer to continue the programme, but Frost saying he didn't approach GMTV in the first place. GMTV tried to do something different on Sundays initially with their "Sunday Best" programme but ironically replaced it after a year with a political programme hosted by Alastair Stewart.

RE: Sky News - rkolsen - 21-07-2023

When did Sky Milbank update their desk? It looks the same shape but they replaced part of the glass so a large monitor that blocks some shots.

RE: Sky News - rw96 - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 08:21 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  When did Sky Milbank update their desk? It looks the same shape but they replaced part of the glass so a large monitor that blocks some shots.

It's the same desk - the smaller glass topped desk is still there, it's just been extended on 2 sides (it always slightly bothered me that they extended it so asymmetrically).

This setup was used in the all out politics days, the screen needs tilting up because the presenter can't see the under desk screen when they are further away from it Smile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eg62lHWX0AAfo6v.jpg 

RE: Sky News - rkolsen - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 09:01 AM)rw96 Wrote:  It's the same desk - the smaller glass topped desk is still there, it's just been extended on 2 sides (it always slightly bothered me that they extended it so asymmetrically).

This setup was used in the all out politics days, the screen needs tilting up because the presenter can't see the under desk screen when they are further away from it Smile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eg62lHWX0AAfo6v.jpg 

Yeah, that’s what I figured - they just changed main desk partly. And while I don’t watch Sky News Breakfast (as it runs from 2-5AM ET) I figured the piece was an extension.

For the past few days the extension it been permanent or brought out for some interviewees not comfortable with the couch? I find it awkward for political interviews to be on couches - either be at the news desk, or face each other on stools or chair.

I don’t know the staffing but MSNBC gets the desks in and out of 3A pretty quick - when Maddow / Wagner are in studio their desks aren’t in place in-front of the curved wall. I imagine they must add it either in time the second to last commercial block so the anchors / free / interviewees can prepare off camera.

RE: Sky News - Craigwills - 23-07-2023

Simon Pusey presenting at 3am this morning, first appearance I believe?

RE: Sky News - SB678 - 23-07-2023

Was it a last minute decision? Sam Naz was on at midnight and they normally have the same presenter on from midnight until 6 AM on weekends.