Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 27-07-2023

A bit curious about the hiring of Mr Rhodes to lead SkyNews. Being intially at Fox News then eventually switching to CBS News before landing at SkyNews. Seems like the NBC/Comcast honchos might be prepping SkyNews and TG24 for some changes in the future. NBC News already has closer ties to SkyNews in various. Its likely at lot of behinds news sharing going that we the viewers dont see. I wonder if we will see SkyNews becoming slightly a bit peppier as NBC/Comcast begins to tie all the 3 news orgs together.

RE: Sky News - dvboy - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 05:44 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  What's the reason for Sky News not being widely available on every platform in HD? You'd think to capitalise on the changes to the BBC News Channel, Sky News would want their channel to be available in the best possible quality to as many viewers as possible on every digital platform.
High Definition is seen as standard now, not a luxury paid for add-on.

It's the only news channel on my Virgin and Freesat EPGs that is still only available in SD (unless I upgraded my package on Virgin, which I'm not going to do to just watch one news channel in HD)

You've partly answered your own question there. They want you to subscribe.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 27-07-2023

Having Sky News behind the paywall in HD is rather archaic these days, it's from an era when HD wasn't standard.

I was hoping when Comcast took over Sky that it'd be one of the things they'd change, but SD only subscribers and Freesat viewers are still stuck with the standard definition version.

RE: Sky News - Larry the Loafer - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 07:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Having Sky News behind the paywall in HD is rather archaic these days, it's from an era when HD wasn't standard.

I was hoping when Comcast took over Sky that it'd be one of the things they'd change, but SD only subscribers and Freesat viewers are still stuck with the standard definition version.

There's always the live feed on YouTube, though it is capped at 25fps.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 07:11 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  There's always the live feed on YouTube, though it is capped at 25fps.

It's actually 30fps because YouTube don't recognise 25/50fps for live streams. So any channel that outputs at those framerates outside North America experience juddering. I really don't know why YouTube continue to act that all live streams are 30/60fps. but will render pre-recorded video at the correct framerate.

The Sky News app and NOW offer the channel at 720p for free, NOW customers can watch it in Full HD if they have the Boost feature.

RE: Sky News - Spencer - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 07:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Having Sky News behind the paywall in HD is rather archaic these days, it's from an era when HD wasn't standard.

Sky still seem to take the attitude that HD is a premium service, given there’s still a charge for its own subscribers to watch in HD, which is ridiculous really. I’m currently paying both an HD charge and UHD charge on my bill.

RE: Sky News - IanJRedman - 27-07-2023

Apparently Sky News can also be viewed in 1080p for free via the Google TV app.

RE: Sky News - Craigwills - 27-07-2023

I hope when they say ‘world news’ it means more than just North America… Often I feel there’s the in-depth special report about other areas such as Myanmar series from Stuart Ramsey recently, but then away from those the day to day “world news” feels reliant on the US.

I wonder if it’s Sophy 7-8, Yalda 8-9? Or Yalda doing 9pm an hour, with Sophie doing 7-9. I sort of hope of this new world news format is just an hour as otherwise I feel it’s a bit too much. It feels like the 9pm hour they’re a bit unsure where to take it, Beth Rigby/Trevor Phillips had shows in the slot both of which feel a bit out of place in my opinion. So at least Yalda might be able to offer something different but doesn’t feel out of place.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 28-07-2023

North American news is slightly easier to get and certainly cheaper. Because of the highly developed local mass media available in the country with hundreds of local channels pumping out hours and hours of local news and "wild crazy" live video thats available at anytime of the day from all over the country, makes it easier to just pop up that video at a moments notice. Cheap and easy. No correspondent needed in most cases. I notice Australian news leans heavily into US Breaking News alot. They frequently run live images of American breaking stories because its served up live and hot 24hrs a day from across the country and is great cheap filler for news orgs around the world.

RE: Sky News - Independent - 28-07-2023

Interesting that the Myanmar special is geoblocked. But at least the livestream is back! I hope Sky doesn't geoblock it again. I don't know why they did that last year. I'm definitely looking forward to the September revamp (as an international viewer) assuming they don't geoblock it again. If Yalda's program is at 9 pm UK time, that could be great as AJE does one of those docs that hour, France 24 is just repeating the previous hour, and it's the most unwatchable hour on the BBC.